Is Nikon doing anything interesting lately?

SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
edited April 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I guess not.
||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Boy, you are quite the optimist. What is the source of it?
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited April 2015
    I love my D700, its been to hell and back, but i'm looking boxing up my Nikon gear and moving into a Mamiya 645DF because I guess Nikon is just becoming old news now.

I'm not interested in a D810 and the D4s is over priced for what you are getting.... so going medium format.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I guess not.
    Depends on what you consider interesting? If you mean has Nikon released a revolutionary new product that will change the shape of the photo industry, the answer is no.

Now if interesting means, is Nikon releasing solid, high quality products that will serve users for years to come, then yes they are doing something interesting. :)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I love my D700, its been to hell and back, but i'm looking boxing up my Nikon gear and moving into a Mamiya 645DF because I guess Nikon is just becoming old news now.
    So in other words this is just a troll thread. How delightful.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I think a D810

I'm not interested in a D810 and the D4s is over priced for what you are getting.... so going medium format.
    So, you know you need a digital back for that camera, and the 654 DF is discontinued?
    You are looking at $6K for the DF+ and anywhere from $10K-$50K for a back. Now let's talk lenses. Got a spare $100K?
    Yeah, the D810 is looking pretty shabby...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2015
    .......and moving into a Mamiya 645DF ....... a D810 and the D4s is over priced for what you are getting....
    +1 :)

In comparison the Mamiya Leaf Schneider Kreuznach 40-80mm f/4.0-5.6 LS Lens
    is a bargain at $9,000

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member

Cool story bro.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member

Those two cameras (645DF and D810) are optimized for such different missions, I do not see any valid basis for comparison.

If you said that you were specializing in pro fashion photography with occasional landscapes and therefore MF was a better fit, that would make some (not perfect) sense.

I cannot imagine a pro fashion photog posting this.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I guess not.
    Depends on what you consider interesting? If you mean has Nikon released a revolutionary new product that will change the shape of the photo industry, the answer is no.

Now if interesting means, is Nikon releasing solid, high quality products that will serve users for years to come, then yes they are doing something interesting. :)
    So in other words this is just a troll thread. How delightful.
    Snowleopard seems misguided (but then who am I to say) but calling him a troll does not seem fair. I think that people deserve the benefit of the doubt, particularly over the internet.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Speaking of Snowleopard, where is he? If you start a thread, at least check in daily to see what is being discussed. :P
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    He has seemed to make lots of comments about other brands. Seems to want more than what Nikon has for some reason. Although it all depends on the photography type being done. Just because medium format is expensive and what some professionals use for certain purposes doesn't mean it is what one needs. Don't think I ever seen any medium format cameras on the sidelines at football games or taking wildlife shots.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited April 2015
    I have been busy scanning slides all day. Not sure I claimed to be a specific type of photographer anywhere. I started with macro using reversed lenses and a PB-6. Then I got my portrait lenses, then I got my zoom's and the last lens I bought was my wide angle for landscapes. I shoot a little bit of everything.

I have been looking for a replacement for the D700 or something to make my D700 an emergency backup camera for and I just don't see anything that peaks my interest from Nikon... which is disappointing.

I picked up a used Mamiya RZ67 Pro IId a while back and its more fun to work with than my D700. Moving to a Digital Mamiya (It doesn't have to have the latest and greatest digital back, although that would be nice) if money was no object would be better.

I love waiting for 2 weeks for film to come back these days.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As none of us are in the R & D at Nikon, we may not have an awareness of what is actually going on. But the D800/810 is a phenomenal high resolution camera, and when priced in the arena with Hassy's and other medium format, it is quite inexpensive. So, from my perspective Nikon is continually doing something interesting for me at least.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited April 2015
    Snowleopard said

D810 and the D4s is over priced

I picked up a used Mamiya RZ67 Pro IId

may be but you are comparing second hand equipment to new
    A used D800 seems something of a bargain

Although flaming is not banned on nrf. The title of this thread, seems to fall into that category
    IMHO this discussions to belongs in an existing thread

Used Digital Medium Format Temptation
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Snowleopard: Why doesn't the D810 peak you interest?

There are two ways to interpret your question:

About what Nikon is currently doing, I hope they are working on a great new mirrorless large sensor system. Maybe even medium format. As Msmoto says, we have no idea, but I am pretty sure there are interesting things going on.

About was Nikon has recently released, I think the most interesting thing is the new 300/4 lense, and I am very interested in future long prime lenses (500 and 600 mm). Will Nikon continue to make very expensive lenses like the new 400/2.8, and what can third parties like Sigma do in this area?
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Hope you enjoy your switch to Medium Format. Good luck with it.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    I have been busy scanning slides all day. Not sure I claimed to be a specific type of photographer anywhere. I started with macro using reversed lenses and a PB-6. Then I got my portrait lenses, then I got my zoom's and the last lens I bought was my wide angle for landscapes. I shoot a little bit of everything.

I have been looking for a replacement for the D700 or something to make my D700 an emergency backup camera for and I just don't see anything that peaks my interest from Nikon... which is disappointing.

I picked up a used Mamiya RZ67 Pro IId a while back and its more fun to work with than my D700. Moving to a Digital Mamiya (It doesn't have to have the latest and greatest digital back, although that would be nice) if money was no object would be better.

I love waiting for 2 weeks for film to come back these days.
    Sounds like a pleasant time doing something you find captivating .. :-). Wish you and all NR forum readers more of this in whatever form it takes !

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Well you started a thread with an obvious troll like tone just to say you shoot film medium format...

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I guess I am confused about why Nikon has anything to do with a rather dramatic change in capturing images. Going to film, whatever the format, is more about enjoying what many of us used to do. And having shot everything from 11" x 14" Ektachrome in a studio Deardorf down to the early Minox, I think I understand film.

However, film cannot compete with digital imaging at any level. IMO, any image captured on film can be done easier with digital, and the resolution is much better.

There is something about developing film, seeing the negatives, and printing the images which is about as exciting and enjoyable as life can get....at least for some of us. And it is a wonderful challenge to shoot film and arrive at a good result in low light situations. So, film is a lot of fun, but I do not think this has anything to do with what Nikon is currently up to.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    I do not think this has anything to do with what Nikon is currently up to.
    Agreed
    IMHO this Flame trolling
    and not somthing I am keen to see on NRF
This discussion has been closed.