Photography Expeditions

WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
edited April 2015 in General Discussions
I came across the following:

http://www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com/triptypes/photography

Has anybody went on any of these by National Geographic or anybody else? What do you guys think of them?

Naturally, Nikon Rumours get togethers are included in this category.

Post edited by WestEndFoto on

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have not been on a National Geographic expedition but have attended a Workshop lead by two pro photographers that was 3 days along. Great experience and I added to my knowledge base. I have also attend a one day photo workshop by a pro on macro photography, and two or three by a Tamron representative.

Learned something from each one. Learned more at those lead by a Pro photographer. IMHO, great opportunity to learn in a workshop.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Never been on a National Geographic Photo tour, but I have been on photo tours with National Geographic Photographers, does that count? :D
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Dunno if I would enjoy that. Workshops are interesting and one of the better ways to learn new techniques. But on the other hand, for me, photography is a solitary contemplative activity. I don't know if I would enjoy being in a herd of photographers being told when to stop and when to move on.

If everyone is taking pictures of something, the perverseness in me wants me to shoot something different. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited April 2015
    Dunno if I would enjoy that. Workshops are interesting and one of the better ways to learn new techniques. But on the other hand, for me, photography is a solitary contemplative activity. I don't know if I would enjoy being in a herd of photographers being told when to stop and when to move on.

If everyone is taking pictures of something, the perverseness in me wants me to shoot something different. :)
    I am with you on that one. Wouldn't mind an expedition where I also do photography, but not one solely focused on being a photography expedition. It is bad enough when I go and shoot with my friend and we have almost all the same pictures. To me it is a bit of a loner sport .

But then again..everything I learned about photography I learned on the line. So maybe I don't know what I don't know.

It would be nice to hang out with someone that was a pro or knew something, but I couldn't stand a group of people. I would rather hike off on my own and take my own pictures without learning from someone before I would be in a herd of people going around somewhere.

There is so much information online though I think you could probably recreate any one of those national geographic trips...you just wouldn't have the pro with you to help along the way. Guess it all comes down to what your purpose is. Once in a lifetime shots or a learning experience.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I have traveled with National Geographic twice — once to the Galapagos Islands and Peru and once to Costa Rica and Panama. While these are essentially "tourist" trips, there are always a few pretty serious shooters on board, and it's really fun to compare notes and talk about the stuff our spouses never want to talk about. Each trip has a dedicated photo instructor on board. They tend to spend a lot of their time helping beginners just get better shots on their trips (adjust your WB, use auto-ISO, etc.). But when they have someone who shares their passion they really shine.
    For instance, one guy got up with me at 4:30am just so we could hike to a spot and get a shot of a quetzel at sunrise. The zodiac drivers are also excellent, continually putting you in a position to get the best shots. Can't recommend these trips highly enough.
    I've never done the workshops, but was just looking at a NY one this past week. I can imagine they are pretty rudimentary, but I saw they do offer advanced versions of the workshops in NY and SF. Bet they'd be pretty amazing.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It can be annoying sometimes, particularly if the group is large. One of the things I like about photo tours is that it forces you out of your box/comfort zone. Sometimes these experience pro photographers can help you see something that you would never even think of on your own.

What I like to do is go back to the location a while later and use what I learned in a less controlled manner.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @proudgeek: Great feed back. So long as I'm not rushed, I welcome such an event.
    @PB_PM: +1
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |