Who are the linux users?

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited November 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Old forum discussion here .. Who are the linux users?
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2014
    Looks like its 4 years on since the last linux discussions :-). The last 2-3 years have been rather disruptive for linux, especially for Ubuntu users. Ubuntu introduced a new front end desktop and gnome going from Version 2 to 3. plus the windows 8 influences to the user interface directions. I moved from Ubuntu to Kubuntu and just this week did a full rebuild of my PC with windows 7 going to 8 and Linux Mint 17 as my main OS. Mint's Cinnamon desktop is really nice ! Very happy with this new setup. Works so much smoother.

Comes with Gimp (installed the main plugins from the mint software manager) and I just installed Darktable for my Raw processing. Real happy chappy I am ! "too easy" :-B
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    My laptop dual-boots Win7 and Ubuntu 14.01. I have a desktop computer that runs Ubuntu 14.01. All the post-processing software I use (GIMP, UFRaw) runs on both operating systems. I'm a long-time Linux user, chose Ubuntu for my most recent forays because it has decent support. I'm building a couple of computers for the grandkids, and I installed Mint Cinnamon on them because it looks to have a desktop that works kinda like Win7. There are packages that will make it look identical, but I 'm going to see how they take to the out-of-box interface first.

Oh, and I run Ubuntu and XBMC (or, Kodi, as it's now called) on a PC hooked to the TV. It is my digital photograph respository, and I've set up XBMC to run slideshows from those directories. It rsyncs with my desktop computer to establish my redundant backup. I offload my SD cards to the TV PC, run rsync, and only then do I clean the SD card for subsequent shooting.

Really, the only compelling reason for me to continue using Windows is that I do some application programming for Windows. Otherwise, a decent Linux distro would work fine for all I do.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I am a Linux user commercially (Fedora), and use OSX at home. I like using capture NX 2 and NX-D for nikon raw, and Photoshop for everything else.
    Since OSX is basically apples UI over BSD Unix (think Solaris), I satisfy my need for control by bringing up a terminal screen, signing on as a root user and bossing it around.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I use Linux Mint 15 or 16 on my home desktop, it revived my old XP computer. But I don't use Linux to edit photos. Actually, I barely use any programs to edit anything.

It's nice to use, and my mom uses Linux 14 on an old netbook for basic web browsing.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited November 2014
    I kicked Windows to the curb long time ago and when with OS X because of it Unix base coding. In fact, OS X is Fully POSIX-compliant going back to OS X 10.5.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • burdicdaburdicda Posts: 1Member
    Well It's about time someone posted more Linux post here...heheh
    I had many years experience back in the film days...oops gave away my age...
    But recently got back into it by buying a D3200...then D5100 and just now a D7100...
    I have been using ONLY LINUX since 1992 and have never looked back for any reason...
    I just sent this to Nikon I guess we can hope the giant stirs...
    Response Via Email (Alfredo A.) 04/27/2015 08:19 AM
    Hello Danny,

Thank you for contacting Nikon, we appreciate your comments and will forward them to our engineers in Japan for evaluation.

Again, we appreciate you taking your time to provide the feedback that you have provided.

Thanks,
    Alfredo
    Customer By Web Form (Danny Burdick) 04/26/2015 06:33 PM
    I would just like to say it would be very "ahead of your competition" if you could somehow let your contract software writers also compile versions of your software for Linux. Just like this "Magic Lantern" thing the Canon users rub in Nikon user's faces...Why not step up to the plate and lead rather than respond afterwards and follow behind. I would pay the good money the same as you get for windows/mac versions...and there are millions of Linux users out here with your product...so far
    I have only gotten into photography in the last couple of months and already own D3200,D5100, and now a D7100. I would interpret that as a seriously dedicated customer and Fan of Nikon.
    D7100 and still climbing....
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You can always run the Nikon programs (and others) in a windows VM. If you do it in unity mode, you don't even have to see the OS, just the application.
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    you can use wine on linux to run the software. should do the job.
  • MeeksiMeeksi Posts: 6Member
    Here's another Linux user reporting in. I've been using Linux for years and I would switch to Linux full time if it wasn't for some software that I need to use for school and work. I wish more engineering software was available for Linux. Thankfully, it seems like many software companies are now starting to make their software available for us, too. A good example of this is the new Matlab. =)

My laptop dual-boots Windows 8 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. I was going to install Arch Linux but my dad wants to learn how to use Ubuntu so I decided to install the Ubuntu instead. This way I can help him out if he has trouble (or maybe he will learn Ubuntu so well that he can teach me neat tricks!).

Wine is a good way to use Windows SW but some software don't seem to work too well with it (or at least they didn't a couple years ago, maybe things are different now).

@heartyfisher

Thanks for the tip! I checked out Darktable and it seems simple enough for my editing. Lets see if I can replace lightroom later. I've also tried GIMP in the past but I found it a little difficult to use. I guess it would be quite good if I put some time into learning it. Then again, I don't do much editing to my photos so the more simple the editing software is, the better.
    D7000 | Nikkor 35/1.8G | Nikkor 70-300/4.5-5.6G | Benro aluminum tripod and some other accessories...
    edited April 2015
    @Meeksi glad you like darktable :-) I used to use Ubuntu but now I am using Linux Mint. Easier :-) and more hardware compatibility. also didn't like the Ubuntu interface Mint is more intuitive for me.

Gimp is second nature to me now .. so I don't see how hard it is :-) the new versions have improved usability too.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

I still don't edit any photos on my Linux machine- it's far too slow for that. I store and view photos on my Mac. My Linux machine is more for web browsing and light work. I'm surprised it even runs at all, considering it slowed to a crawl with Windows. Linux Mint revived it fairly nicely.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    :-) one thing I like about linux is .. you know those updates .. in Windows I dread every update .. things just slow down that little bit more .. with Linux we get speed ups with updates !!

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    A question for the Linux users out there:
    What are you using for security?
    I've had both my PC and MAC hacked despite putting a linux UTM box out front to packet filter.
    Other than daily reimaging from disk, I am not sure what else to do.
    Linux and freeBSD systems like OS X are not really as safe as everyone makes them out to be.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

Linux and freeBSD systems like OS X are not really as safe as everyone makes them out to be.
    The reality is that if a person can write the code, someone else can find a loophole. The best security is to keep your footprint small.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    A question for the Linux users out there:
    What are you using for security?
    I've had both my PC and MAC hacked despite putting a linux UTM box out front to packet filter.
    Other than daily reimaging from disk, I am not sure what else to do.
    Practice safe browsing techniques and don't torrent stuff? I haven't had any issues with safety yet, but that's also because I rarely use my linux machine anyway.

What do you mean by "hacked"? I just have the standard Linux Mint. and ubuntu before .. never been "hacked"
    but I do set the systems in a secure fashion and dont wonder around the webs back alleys.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first

The windows PC has some sort of malware sending massive connection requests. I haven't really investigated or reimaged it as I just took it off line and don't plan on putting it back until I can reimage. Not sure what happened to the Mac but there is some sort of underlying process running that persists despite a reinstall. I need to spend some more time attempting a fix, but came home to a none functioning router today so burned 2 hours on that LOL.

FYI, I don't torrent and am pretty strict on browsing practices, not to mention the UTM blocking a bunch of stuff out front.
    The only thing I can think of is my relatives work in high profile jobs so maybe I'm being targeted. Just sick of it honestly, but if there is a silver lining its that I've had to learn about security.
    I operate my mac from a non administrator user id which makes it harder for any malware to install itself since both application and system libraries are read only.

I use an administrator id to install applications, but it has the system libraries locked out for write, and a super administrator id which can update system libraries only to install software directly sourced from apple.

I do not use 'freeware' unless I know the source (mozilla etc.).

8 years no problems.

I had to wipe my windows systems quarterly despite anything I tried.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Not sure what happened to the Mac but there is some sort of underlying process running that persists despite a reinstall. I need to spend some more time attempting a fix, but came home to a none functioning router today so burned 2 hours on that LOL.
    Did you Google the process to find out what it is? There are many processes, usually lower level root ones, that will auto restart to keep the system from crashing.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    did you re-install to a reformatted disk ?

From a fresh download ?.

Does the process have a name ?

kill it in the activity manager and see what happens.

... H

I operate my mac from a non administrator user id which makes it harder for any malware to install itself since both application and system libraries are read only.

I use an administrator id to install applications
    I do the same and its a relatively new machine so really have nothing on there. I was getting all sorts of errors and reboots; did a reinstall and largely those have subsided but there is some process preventing the machine from shutting down properly and the boot up is not normal. I did not erase all data and reformat on reinstall so that will be the next step before returning it to Apple.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help, but really don't want to hijack this thread about Linux.
    Some days I contemplate just going to a machine with an unchangeable OS like those bootable linux DVDs. Someone should start a PC company where the OS and programs are on unwriteable ROM chips that you could trade out quarterly for updates and adding on additional programs.

but there is some process preventing the machine from shutting down properly and the boot up is not normal.

That particular problem is often associated with a USB device that does not play well with apples interface.
    Apples USB3 implementation is not exactly the same standard as other peoples standard and they like to blame each other.

Card readers are notorious for this.

If you have not done so, disconnect all usb devices, and try the boot.

.... H