Organic Sensors

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited April 2015 in Other Manufacturers
Fujifilm and Panasonic announced a partnership to work on organic sensors in 2013. Many were hoping that they would be producing cameras by now but It seems that have been delayed due problems with heat dissipation. But now It seem that Samsung may be able to bring it to market before them !! (mainly due to the use of copper(better heat dissipation) vs aluminum)
and with even better spec than the fuji/pana version..

Imagine High ISO and DR and FPS from Samsung DX that would beat any current FX !!

http://thenewcamera.com/first-sample-image-of-samsung-upcoming-organic-sensor/

that is the danger of purposely throttling DX development .. some one will over take you..

PS : The fuji pana announcement.. http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n130611.html
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Cool! Do you know what organic sensor means?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2015
    Cool! Do you know what organic sensor means?
    ?? the fuji/pana announcements has some details. is that what you are asking?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I read the texts but didn't understand the techonologies and I was wondering what the word organig came from.

Sorry if I asked too much :). Anyway it's good to hear that there are possibilities for progress in sensor technology as well as lense technology like flat lenses that you posted earlier.
    edited May 2015
    The new sensor has an organic film on the surface of the circuit board. The word organic is used in the same way as OLED ( organic light emitting diode). which are carbon polymers that emit light when there is current .. similarly the sensor's organic layer reacts to light and the metal circuits on the silicon chip can read the intensity. It looks like these organic compounds are much more reactive/sensitive to light than silicon.

So is not like Organic Food ( like there is inorganic food ! LOL ) and its not alive, but you are still recommend to take it out for a walk and exercise it daily ;-)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't know what all the fuss is about - Nikon bodies have had orgasmic sensors for years now...
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I haven't found that setting yet...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I haven't found that setting yet...
    You have to unlock it, the easter egg only opens up after you hit 50k actions on a camera.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2015
    More details of the sensor here .. Looks like it is at least 1 more stop of of light gathering capability !!
    no more Bayer Mosaic ! means double the sharpness too !! so imagine you have a 12 mp sensor with double the light gathering capability performing at 24mp sharpness !! OMG !!! you will really get better than D4 performance in a M43 sensor !! and the DX sized sensors will be even better !!!

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.it/2015/02/samsung-presents-organic-on-si-cmos.html

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    More details of the sensor here .. Looks like it is at least 1 more stop of of light gathering capability !!
    no more Bayer Mosaic ! means double the sharpness too !! so imagine you have a 12 mp sensor with double the light gathering capability performing at 24mp sharpness !! OMG !!! you will really get better than D4 performance in a M43 sensor !! and the DX sized sensors will be even better !!!

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot.it/2015/02/samsung-presents-organic-on-si-cmos.html
    That advantage will be ephemeral. Introduce it to an FX sensor, and you are back to the one stop FX advantage.
    edited May 2015
    Its true but it may take quite a few years for Samsung to share that tech. I am sure its tightly patented.

Doubt that Samsung is going to manufacture FX sensors any time soon, let alone sell it to Nikon.

edited May 2015
    Sorry for bumping this thread .. but this OCMOS is exciting to me.. If Nikon could source a 1" sensor off Samsung we could have a Nikon1 camera with D750 sensor performance in sharpness and lowlight capability..

What a boon that would be ! Exciting times in sensor advancement tech !

PS : sigh .. had a logic cramp in my brain :-) it IS only double the light gathering capability and not 4 times. so only 1 stop + the 1.2 times(BSI efficiency) .. still nice but not D750 performance, maybe D7200 performance.

• DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    OLED displays will all eventually fail (i have had several OLED failures in various gear).

I would suspect the same lack of permanence will be a hinderance to their use in sensors.