Which camera under severe weather conditions

paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
edited May 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I am going on a sailing boat in two weeks time round the Isle of Shetland in Scotland then on to Norway. Can be quite severe weather conditions and will be living on the boat approx. 3 weeks. Should I take a D4 or D810 camera body? Opportunities to take some great shots from a sea ward view. Each camera offers special features in its own way. Due to space can only take one body, favouring the D4 but will I miss all those pixels of the D810.
Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I was going to say Nikon AW1 from the title...

But, the D810 should be able to handle it, with an all weather baggy thing. They sell this bag you slip your arms into so you can protect the body and camera. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than going for a underwater enclosure.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited May 2015
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited May 2015
    I would go for the AW1 or the full cover if it were me. Salt spray isn't like rain in that it does not evaporate and leave no harmful residue. It leaves salt which keeps on corroding any corrodible material it is on or eventually gets transferred onto. Plated/painted metal parts will be affected.

Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    An insured one with a very small excess.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    An AW1 would be fine for capturing life on board

but for seascapes you really need full frame and a high dynamic range

I would get an OUTEX for the D810

forget flimsy rain covers, as others have said, salt water spray will find it way in and wreak the camera
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Pentax. Weather sealing from the engineering department, not the marketing department. :)
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Thanks for all the information everybody Final choice was D4, 24-70/ 70-200 lens 2x converter and the Aqua Tech AWS [small } cover . It is not my intention to use the camera in the actual water just protect against Spray. I choose the D4 due to the sturdiness of the camera, and longer battery life.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/slr/aquatech/sports-shields
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    and the Aqua Tech AWS [small } cover
    I use the Think Tank Hydrophobia which looks similar

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hydrophobia-70-200-rain-cover.aspx

It has one disadvantage in sea spray

If you take your hand out of the cover and it gets wet, you will get salty water on the camera when you put it back

I works fine, if you put your hand in the cover , in the dry and leave it in. Putting the camera down in wet conditions, to do something else, is challenging

It is worth getting used to it in the dry before you set sail

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Msmoto and I like this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/623872-REG/Ewa_Marine_EM_U_B100_U_B_100_Underwater_Housing.html
    I suspect the only difference between the Ewa Marine and the others above is that the camera can actually go underwater, the Ewa Marine being completely sealed with its own front element glass cover. And in breaking surf or any venue where the water is hitting the camera heavily, I kinda like my Ewa Marine.

Having said all this, I have been know to simply go out in the rain with the D4, even with the non-sealed Sigma 35mm f/1.4, then dry things off after the shoot. Some of us have poor judgement.... :)) :))
    Msmoto, mod
    This is the Aquatech system D4 camera 2x Converter Nikon 70-200 lens.Image on tripod just for the shot, Normally the underneath Zip would completely enclose the camera body/lens.

Hood
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    The D4 can take the abuse, the zoom lenses are a little more delicate. The repair for my 24-70 was $600.- after saltwater spray.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Good point,the zoom lenses are far less capable in horrid weather unless well covered. The AquaTech looks rather nice, very similar to the LensCoat Raincoat I use on the big lenses.

I think the OP was about the camera, thus the D4s might be Nikon's best solution to bad weather.....maybe the OP could ask about what camera under $2500 for bad weather? It makes a lot more senses for many of us who do not have one of the big guns.
    Msmoto, mod
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I think if you had a AW 1 you would be impressed with that little camera. My youngest grandson shoots weddings and special events with Nikon DSLRs and thinks the AW 1 is awesome. Besides it is little and very rugged. Shockproof, waterproof, etc., the Nikons you mention you are going to bring with protective gear.The Aw 1 would add a lot!
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited May 2015
    I purchased my S31 as my take into the water/beach/camera I don't want to use when conditions might be poor enough for me to worry about my dSLR. I know it isn't in the same category quality wise as a dSLR or even saw the AW130, but it was under $100 and it takes pictures underwater to ~30 ft which is deeper than most will ever go even snorkeling.

I am a fair weather shooter though. I wouldn't really even think about taking my dSLR out in the rain.

Some from the S31 (corner sharpness is not great)
    Mexico 120-2

Mexico 096

138-1

127-1

DSCN0706_20141013_2896-4

Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    the OP mentioned that he wants to take the 24-70 and the 70-200, that's why I felt some push to comment on that choice.
    I am using these two lenses due to quality and range, plus the 2x converter for the 70-200 lens. I have to fly to meet the boat so limited with weight and size. Compact and waterproof camera would be ideal for this situation, but in view of the scenery I will see, I wanted the best quality Nikon could offer.A lot of shots will be taken from the boat looking to land. In some cases bays would be impossible to reach from land , so a sea view will give a different perspective. Both Shetland and Norway have incredible coastlines which when seen from a boat should offer some interesting images.
    I will add that my post was probably better offered in a different thread. An applicable suggestion would be to have a cheaper all weather camera and possibly get a cheaper cover. Use the all weather camera if conditions really are abysmal, otherwise just shoot the dSLR with the cover or no cover. I knew the pictures I took with my S31 would not be dSLR quality, but they were mostly just vacation pictures and I didn't have to worry about ruining or possibly getting expensive stuff stolen. It isn't something that will work for everyone as it isn't a direct replacement for a high quality dSLR. The biggest perk was not worrying about it. Took it into the pool, the ocean, the beach, under Niagra Falls.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I wonder what is interesting about a time lapse wide angle sequence pointing straight up that you need to have it set up 120 miles from where you live ...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Pretty decent Pompano UW photo by Tcole 1983 as well as the other photos. Certainly shows it is the photographer and the place and time......And it also proves that his target of getting a camera when he did not want to risk using a bigger and more expensive Nikon DSLR worked like a charm! One of the best collections I have seen to illustrate the utility (and quality) possible with a smaller camera. And DON"T try to duplicate the UW photo with a D4 without a pretty expensive housing.
    I do think though the Nikon AW 1 would get the nod over a S31 but I am sure that camera costs less? Is it still being sold by Nikon ?
    I do think though the Nikon AW 1 would get the nod over a S31 but I am sure that camera costs less? Is it still being sold by Nikon ?
    The S31 was like $95 when I got it. There is now a S33 but I think it is only slightly over $100.
    I checked with Nikon Uk NPS and they were very clear that D4 was better weather proofed than the D810 was also given information if the camera got wet, immediate battery removal, use an air drier to dry the camera, try and protect the top of the camera from any contact with water. they were of the opinion that provided a good quality cover was used they should be no problems with a D4. Time will tell.
    I did look at compact waterproof cameras and have to say the Olympus TG4 which as just been announced offered good spec with RAW files, Sadly their time frame for release does not match mine, or I would been tempted.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I am sure they did not mean SEA WATER... I think what they suggested would work for rainwater though..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.