Backup SD card function once full?

MDof2MDof2 Posts: 10Member
edited May 2015 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I've got the D750 with two 64gig SD cards in it, set in the menu options as write to card 1, backup to card 2.
Does anyone know what happens if I harvest off my images from card 1, and never touch card 2?
When card 2 fills up, does it overwrite oldest? (would seem logical to me) or stop backing up / writing to / once full?

Up to this point in my workflow, once I've grabbed the images off card 1, backed them up locally (laptop, NAS), I stick it back in the camera, format both with a two button push function and away I go.

Much thanks-

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I would think it would be considered full and stop writing to it. I wouldn't want the camera to overwrite the oldest.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

I stick it back in the camera, format both with a two button push function and away I go.
    Doesn't formatting both cards erase all photos on both cards?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    In backup mode, both cards must have capacity or the camera stops.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Formatting will erase everything. Do this after copying to permanent media.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

• MDof2MDof2 Posts: 10Member

I stick it back in the camera, format both with a two button push function and away I go.
    Yes, which is what I want (fresh start) once I copy data off the primary card.
    In backup mode, both cards must have capacity or the camera stops.
    Thanks for the reply.
    So with card 1 empty, and card two full, the camera won't shoot?

No, you enter format mode, then scroll (wheel) to the card you want to format, then two button push for that card.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited May 2015
    Slightly off topic maybe but I have a fast 32 GB in slot one that I never remove so nothing can get bent or damaged and then a usually 8GB in slot 2 that I take out and read from ...backup mode.
    I only re format card 1 when the images from card 2 are downloaded and saved to a couple of HD.
    Thus if I have 3 wedding on 3 consecutive days I have all the images on card 1 and 3 x 8gb with the individual weddings on them for each camera I use .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Page 119 in the D750 manual:
    "Backup” and “RAW Slot 1—JPEG Slot 2”
    The camera shows the number of exposures remaining on the card with the least amount of memory. Shutter release will be disabled when either card is full.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I use the cards as primary and backup. Usually will format both only after I have processed all images I want in my computer., and uploaded to a site like Flickr. Then the job is considered "completed" and I format the cards in camera, one at a time, by using the scroll wheel.

I like the idea of having one card which is rarely removed from the body, but also do not want to have images, previously downloaded, on a card in camera. Thus, my cards never get filled anywhere near capacity, thus eliminating the concern of what happens when filled. It would seem to me, if I want to have thousands of images on memory cards, I need to purchase more cards and keep them filed so as to not get confused...easy for me to do, confusion, that is.
    Msmoto, mod
    Page 119 in the D750 manual:
    "Backup” and “RAW Slot 1—JPEG Slot 2”
    The camera shows the number of exposures remaining on the card with the least amount of memory. Shutter release will be disabled when either card is full.
    Thank you Sir for the reference in the manual.
    It is a fine line between boredom and curiosity. I took it upon myself to fill one card to near capacity, and start shooting with the other empty, and it functions exactly as referenced.

This has however now opened another question / curiosity, which I've searched, read, referred to the manual, googled, and can't seem to find an answer to.

In options, "What does card 2 do?" we say "Back up card 1".
    All is fine. It does just that. That would lead one to believe that data is being written to card 1 first, then backed up on the fly to card 2. Therefor 1 is primary, 2 is backup. Fine.
    However, (if I'm testing this correctly) when you delete an image from the camera itself, (trash can button in review mode) it deletes the file from card 2. Should it not delete it from card 1, which is the primary and 2 is the backup?

Is there a setting I'm missing? Doing something different? Doing something wrong?

Thoughts?
    It deletes from the card you are viewing from, which can change if you roll past a card while chimping.

That is why I always upload to my computer from card 1.

... H

I use the cards as primary and backup. Usually will format both only after I have processed all images I want in my computer., and uploaded to a site like Flickr. Then the job is considered "completed" and I format the cards in camera, one at a time, by using the scroll wheel.

I like the idea of having one card which is rarely removed from the body, but also do not want to have images, previously downloaded, on a card in camera. Thus, my cards never get filled anywhere near capacity, thus eliminating the concern of what happens when filled. It would seem to me, if I want to have thousands of images on memory cards, I need to purchase more cards and keep them filed so as to not get confused...easy for me to do, confusion, that is.
    My procedure almost exactly.
    After I upload, th images are immediately on two drives, within 1 hour they are on 3 drives, within 24 hours they are on 5 drives both localal and cloud based.

Then I reformat both cards.

In the D810, I usually have a 16G CF card as primary in slot 1 and a 64G SD card as backup in slot 2, so I can fill and remove 4 primary's in a day and not touch the SD card. I have never gone past 64G in a day.

Only after the primary's are uploaded do I reformat all in camera.

... H

It deletes from the card you are viewing from, which can change if you roll past a card while chimping.

That is why I always upload to my computer from card 1.

... H
    Hmmmm... that makes sense.
    I wish there were options to configure that, but it is what it is.

Thanks again.
    I also would like configurability, but the current paradigm lets card 2 protect me not only from card 1 failure but from an 'aw s**t' delete.

... H

I also would like configurability, but the current paradigm lets card 2 protect me not only from card 1 failure but from an 'aw s**t' delete.

... H
    Agreed. This was essentially what I came to on it as well.
    This is how it works, adjust workflow as needed, shoot on.

Now if I could figure out how to take a decent pic or two, I'd be set!

Thanks all for the input. Cheers-
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    ...the current paradigm lets card 2 protect me not only from card 1 failure but from an 'aw s**t' delete.

... H
    Simply solution, never delete in camera. Works every time. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.