Collecting cameras?

SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
edited May 2015 in Nikon Film Cameras
Do many of you collect older Nikon film cameras. I found a Nikon Nikonos V Underwater Camera with macro lenses and an SB-500 under water flash. and thought about picking it up. It looks like it is in almost perfect condition.... Chances that I would actually shoot it are slim, but it would be a nice conversation piece.
Post edited by spraynpray on
||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Would be cool to shoot a few rolls :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Probably a pretty good investment for the future - go for it!
    Always learning.
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Collections? I seem to have a lot of them in my home. Most of them not started on purpose :-) They just seem to happen.

I recently gave a small collection of old cameras to a young man who showed some interest in them :-)
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    The Nikonos V is the best of the bunch, but also the most produced one, so it should be relatively cheap to get. I was looking into getting one, but seeing that my collection of Fs are getting absolutely no use whatsoever since I bought my first DSLR, I stopped hoarding any more film equipment. If you end up buying it, remember to take it through its paces from time to time, firing it up and down each of its shutter speeds and running the lens' apertures. Also, the Nikonos might have additional maintenance needs to keep it water tight, for example applying approved grease to its O-rings. Anyways, have fun and don't think much of its "investment value". Just think of it as having a camera ready for your next snorkeling/scuba trip.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, not a colector, but one of my F bodies from the 1960's. As one can see, I used it a little... :))

Nikon F 1960's
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    , but it would be a nice conversation piece.
    Absolutely

but I would not consider it an investment
    One of The finest underwater camera housing ever made
    A Rollei-Marin Hans Hass Housing by Franke & Heidecke
    Only fetched £160 at a recent auction
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I figured this would be related to film bodies ^^ Notice how it doesn't transfer to digital? There is something more beautiful about those film classic bodies I think isn't there? :D
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have one of the original Nikonos camreas. Never used it as much as I thought I would.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Wait 100 years when you take a picture by blinking twice. DSLRS will seem pretty classic then.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited May 2015
    No doubt! They will think we were nuts to have carried around 30 lbs of gear on trips probably as well :-))
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Not exactly collecting, maybe more like accumulating:

1974 F2 Photomic: My workhorse camera in the '70s when I had professional aspirations. Alas, not to be...
    ~1940s Speed Graphic 4x5, 1903 Eastman 8x10: An ill-conceived notion to shoot a couple of large-format exposures to scratch that itch in the late 1990s.

While I'll probably never use any of them, not ready to part with any of them yet...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    No doubt! They will think we were nuts to have carried around 30 lbs of gear on trips probably as well :-))
    Ansel carried 30lbs of gear on his back, and his burro Mistletoe carried almost 100lbs. That's really nuts!
    photo mistletoe.jpg
    edited May 2015

..........~1940s Speed Graphic 4x5.............,
    While I'll probably never use any of them,.
    You should. ;
    There is something very special and satisfying, about shooting large format
    and you will never ever, moan about fps etc again
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Oh, yes, Calumet 4" x 5" view camera, circa 1964, and a Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon. I need to drag this out and test it again with the D800E as a "digital back".
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited May 2015
    I have a few film cameras of my own. My dad has his FM2. I also have a Mamiya DSX1000 that my uncle gave me and Canon Elan 7 (gasp!) that my cousin gave me. The Mamiya is in pretty good condition, except for the self timer lever that got snapped off. It came with a 55mm 1.4 prime which actually feels quite well made. The dials are of a definitely cheaper quality than the FM2, as the shutter dial seems very notchy.

The Elan 7 is in working but rough condition, it's well used and the flash is taped shut so I assume it either to dropped on its head at one point or something along those lines. The Elan came with a 28-50 and a 75-300 Sigma zooms.

I have yet to run film through the Canon because it uses those pesky small and expensive CR123 batteries. The Mamiya I have run film through once, but it eats button batteries for breakfast like no other. The FM2 is pretty good with conserving battery life, the Mamiya seems to just have the meter on all the time.

Since my dad let me start using the FM2, I've used maybe two rolls of film.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I have my dad's Minolta XG7, a Minolta Vectis S1, Yashica TRL, and the newest edition is the Mamiya RZ Pro II II D.

The guy that was selling the Nikon Nikonos V has flaked on me, so I guess he really does not want to sell it. Oh well. I do need to get some film Nikon's so I can use my lenses, but I think when it comes to film, I am going to lug the huge medium format Mamiya around.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I have a handful but I really want to start getting 4x5 nikkor lenses for my speed graphic.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    A bit of a side note, are Nikonos cameras any good when they're not in water? I wonder if the optics are optimized to water and now air.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited May 2015
    A bit of a side note, are Nikonos cameras any good when they're not in water? I wonder if the optics are optimized to water and now air.
    There were several different lenses. I had a Nikons 1 with the UW 35 f 2.5 it certainly worked on Land

The UW Nikkor 15mm f 2.8 was designed specifically for underwater

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Thanks.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    My First Camera a Kodak Bantam Colorsnap 1955, My first Digital camera Sony Mavica FD83 1999 with a Floppy Disc memory slot I Still have these cameras today.
    https://flic.kr/p/sNbcaa
    Things have certainly changed.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I consider I have one true collectable Nikon a Nikon F 64 w/prism in chrome. I have several other film cameras that have little collector value but more sentimental value Nikkormat FT3, FA, F4.

Sentimental rules my collecting...

framer
  • smith934smith934 Posts: 1Member
    I'd say yes they are. While stationed in Germany in the early '70s my Nikonos II with 35mm lens was all I had for a while. I took lots of good B&W landscapes with it. A couple won ribbons in local regional fair competitions back here at home.

I keep looking at Nikonos on eBay, where you can find some very good deals, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.