LCD Loupe for D810

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited May 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
In the last issue of N-Photo someone mentions how much he uses an LCD Loupe on his DSLR. It made me think and I absolutely needed that the other day when I was out in strong sunshine, and I had no easy way of checking the images I was taking. Hence, I started looking into these loupes, and they seem to have a very useful application.

I use a D800 and a D810, and I wouldn't want a fixed installation on the back, but if anyone has experience with a loupe that I can just have in my pocket, and use when needed, I like to hear about it...

TIA

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I love the Hoodman loupe. Have used one for over six years. Besides shielding out the sun it allows me to see the entire LCD screen. They are available from many web sites, including Hoodman and B&H.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    edited May 2015
    I went for Kinotehnik LCDVF 4N which I bought for D800 and was happy to find out the magnet frame also clicks in the D810 (first remove the protection plastic). I like the soft cushion. Without I started sweating round my eye.

If you have more D8xx than one , make sure to order enough frames.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Just curious.. wont it get in the way of using your camera (the normal viewfinder) ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

edited May 2015
    Well, the Kinotehnik is hold by magnets to it's mounting frame, which itself is snapped instead of the normal plastic protection cover of the screen. When in LiveView, the finder is dark anyway. When in OVF mode, you just remove the loupe. And it's very stable and held in place by strong enough magnets.

I like the loupe and I like for macro and night shots from tripod. Due to the delay of LV, it's nearly useless for action shots. But not because of the loupe.

It's just a limited choice for the Nikon bodies. I wish they made one for D750 as well, that'd be cool with the tilted screen. But the dimensions are different and I don't use it often enough to buy a second version with differend rectangular dimensions.

Also, the benefit with the better display of the D810 is massive - now I really see what I'm focusing on, with the D800 it was too often kind of guessing.
    Post edited by funtagraph on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    With the D800 I just turn up the LCD monitor brightness ( the setting is on my quick menu) and look at it in my body's shade. Does that not work for you?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Does the auto setting not work for you?
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I'll look into the Hoodman and the Kinotehnik ones.

The reason I don't want one that you "install" is that I want it in my pocket, and then use it when necessary. It is NOT to see LV with, it is solely to inspect pictures already taken. In the kind of sunshine and reflection you only experience on a ski-slope, it is downright impossible to adjust anything to be able to see the screen.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    If the pennies don't count the Zacuto EVF is outstanding

http://www.zacuto.com/zfinderevf
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I have been happy with the Hoodman for my D810 as well. I bought it back in 2008 when I was using the D700 and although it is pricey, it does what it is supposed to and has held up well. The steel ring where the clasp is attached has rusted but the rubber will outlive me it seems. Matin makes some cheaper versions as well.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I been wanting to get one but haven't pulle the trigger. BnH has a XIT Elite Series version for much less. If it is to just view photos do we need the more expensive option? just curious
    The "expensive" ones have glass lenses and apochromatic ones, the cheaper have plastic lenses. See http://www.kinotehnik.com/genuine
    I was just in my local shop and they had the Matin Loup for just 40 bucks! It is 95% identical to the Hoodman I found after close inspection for the purpose of this thread :)
    I will be ordering the Hoodman one including an eyecup. I like the design, and I don't want to have to replace the Vello protectino I have on the LCD screen already. That one works great against fogging...
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Your going to discover that the build quality is excellent and it works. Well worth the $$$. Congrats on a great decision.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Yes it is you won't regret the purchase and its only $30 more so not a big deal. I find as with anything its better to simply pay a bit more initially rather than replace the item every now and then.
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    I carry a Hoodman in my case at all times even though I am in the studio as much as I am outdoors. Certainly useful in bright conditions. I have found it also useful shooting video as well. I have the arm attachment that secures the Hoodman to the camera via the hotshoe.
    D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    I use the Hoodman. It's great for critical focus of manual lenses like the Otii and Apo-Sonnar. There are a couple of problems.

1. It isn't compatible with RRS L-bracket.
    2. A small Arca-Swiss plate doesn't make enough contact with the Hoodman base.
    3. The Hoodman and all other 3x loupes are ridiculously large - you're going to give up the space of a normal lens.
    4. They get in the way of OVF and you have to remove them.
    5. If you're a tripod shooter and wanderer - like me - the Hoodman has the potential of magnifying the suns rays and burning part of your screen. You need to be aware of this as you move about.

I tried the Zacuto and am aware of the other configurations (hanging loupe from neck, etc) So far this is the best situation for my workflow.
    My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
    As I said: Kinotehnik is mounted with a frame and hold by magnets. None of the problems you mentioned, except it's size. It's so easily disconnected and I even don't need adhesive tape to put the frame on the LCD. It does't appear to me the Hoodman is the best choice.
    I have no intention of having it fixed on the body. I only will use it for checking pictures already taken, and i will handhold it against the lcd screen.