KATZEYE Shuts Down

Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I didn't find this too surprising, as when I first inquired a few years back about screens for my D600, I got a passive response about availability of new screens. This is of course ultimately unfortunate, as KatzEye made some great screens to allow the use of manual focus lenses on DSLRs of multiple brands. So I guess for those of us who desire and/or require proper manual focus screen, the only available resource I am aware of now is focusingscreen.com in Taiwan. I recently purchased a screen from them for my D600, and it works quite well, so I can recommend those folks.

RIP KatzEye: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2015
    Thats a shame .. I liked them and was planing to get a screen for when I get my D7200....
    oh well ...

What are the alternative source for these screens?

We know about focusingscreen.com, are there any others that you have tried or heard good things about?

I dug around a bit and it seems that katzeyes were the only screens that you could use up to F11. All others have the old standard F5.6 limit.. :-( already missing the Katz !!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
    edited June 2015
    With KatzEye out, the only two options I was aware of besides focusingscreen.com are now out of business. Not to worry about focusingscreen.com however. Their stuff works. They have a screen for the D7100, so one for the D7200 can't be too far behind.

As far as the f5.6 limit, I don't have any optics slower than 5.6, so for me it's not a problem. Unless you really need the focusing aids, you can also get a matte screen from focusingscreen.com. Using my K screen now for the few days that I've had it has me thinking I should have gone for a matte screen instead, as I find myself doing most of my focusing on the groundglass. The focusing aids are still handy in some macro stuff tho, so I don't mind it.
    Post edited by Spy_Black on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Unfortunately I was planing to have lense options for F8, since the D7200 and D610 can focus at F8.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
    I can only imagine a long optic being that slow, and if that is the case, then a matte screen is for you. At anything above 50mm, using the groundglass to focus is a snap. Working so long with modern DSLR screens, I had forgotten how easy it was to accurately focus,and fast, using the groundglass.