Which nikon lenses rear/dropin filters

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon Lenses
I remember seeing somewhere that there are some Nikkor lenses have the ability to take a rear element filter.. Anyone know which ones have this or a drop in filter.
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The WA ones for sure, 10.5, 14, 16
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8 and longer fast lenses from Nikon have the 52mm drop in filter, as best I know.

Caution, if doing some types of astro photography, i.e., direct sun shots, one must use a filter over the front or the heat build up occurs so rapidly it can fry your lens, so I am told.

I was unaware of using rear filters on the wide lenses, but I suppose with care one could use a gelatin filter either in front or at the rear.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited June 2015
    10.5mm backend:

14mm backend:

16mm backend:
    Note that the 16mm fisheye uses a bayonet style filter on the back, rather than the gel slip-in type filters on the 10.5 and 14. In my research I found that the exotic (expensive) 13mm and 15mm fisheyes also use the bayonet style.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2015
    Seems the sigma 12-24 also has rear gel filter slots. Other sigma lenses that take rear gels are Sigma 15mm, 8mm fisheye and 15-30mm. Couldnt find any more info .. maybe there are others ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Cool....absolutely never knew that.....10.5...
    Msmoto, mod
    Mmmmm. Yes. You have the 10.5. The reason the UWAs have the gels on the rear, is that on the front you will get too much vignetting, and the fact that the bulbous front element and lack of threads makes it hard to put a filter on the front end. I see a sheet of ND gel in your future...
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    The Sigma 4.5 2.8 Circular Fisheye also allows a filter to be put on the rear of the lens.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    edited June 2015
    Yes, I am of the opinion the 10.5mm f/2.8 as modified by me, covers maybe 185º on FX, cut off at top and bottom. But I am so happy to learn something I had no clue about. I have always wondered what it said on the paper stuff that comes along with this gear....and there it was, right on the first page....

And, for those who do not understand the "modified"

Fisheye Mods-Final

Thanks
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod