Talk me out of getting rid of my D3s

framerframer Posts: 491Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Ever since I've got my hands on a D810 the D3s has been collecting dust. Even when all I need is a smaller image I still pick up the D810. Last weekend I made a point to use it and found the interface strange compared to the D810. It didn't take long to remember but it was no longer automatic as it was a year ago. Over the next year It will continue to collect more dust. It an expensive backup body.

framer

Comments

• haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    It is only as expensive as what you can sell it for. My primary is a D810, but I still use my D3x frequently. I often carry two bodies for BIF. D810 on a 400/2.8 with tc-20eIII (on a tripod) , and an 80-400 on the D3x handheld.

The D3x is also a great wedding camera.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Ever since I've got my hands on a D810 the D3s has been collecting dust. Even when all I need is a smaller image I still pick up the D810. Last weekend I made a point to use it and found the interface strange compared to the D810. It didn't take long to remember but it was no longer automatic as it was a year ago. Over the next year It will continue to collect more dust. It an expensive backup body.

framer
    You have a D810? Sorry Framer, I can't help you with that. Sell it now while you can still get something for it. While I intend to buy a D820 and use my D800 not only as a backup camera, if you are not using it, it is preventing you from buying a nice set of lens.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    If you still need your D3s for fast action, I guess it could be a reason for you to keep it. If the D3s has no sentimental value, and you need the money to purchase something else, I guess you should sell it.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Agree that when the D5 comes out the price of the D3s is going to make a downward adjustment.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Looks like the D3s is going for about $2K on the used market. Usually you can get about half that on a trade-in or sale to a dealer.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I can see no reason to get rid of a D3s. The D4 was not that different, some even believe the D3s was better for low light.

As an action body, this is the way to go. I usually have the long lens on the D4, the shorter lens on the D800E.

For what you will get in terms of dollars....you may want to keep it. My experience with the D800E is that when I shoot an action shot it seems to be doing about 2 FPS compared to the D4. Of course it is getting maybe 4-5 FPS, but the D3s, D4, etc, are far better in action, better focusing as well, IMO. And, file size...gosh, so much easier to handle a file from a 12 MP sensor than a 36 MP sensor.

Oh well.. is this what you meant when you said "Talk me out of getting rid of my D3s"?
    Msmoto, mod
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Talk me out of getting rid of my D3s
    framer
    Uhmm... don't do it?

I have a D800 and still check ebay for used a D3 or D3s. Not that I need one at the moment, but for action shots, concert stuff and so on..
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    If you really find no use for it...I would probably still keep it. I kept my D5000 because it wasn't worth selling...obviously you would get more for your D3S, but is it worth it? Would you be able to get a D750 or something as a backup instead? I kept my D5000 for backup and honestly really haven't picked it up, but I would also take it out where I am not going to take my D5200. At least for me throw the 35 F1.8 or 18-55 kit lens on my D5000 and it makes a very light weight walk around camera that I don't have to worry much about.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    You must have too much money if you can keep £2000 collecting dust !!!
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    So much to consider... I really like the wav voice files that I can keep notes after I take a photo. Nothing better at night If I get back into doing night photography. The D3s has IMHO a better interface, fast and tough. It has an edge when it's needed. I've been doing more large image pano work the D810 wins hand down. I really need to go out a give the d810 a sports workout before I ditch the D3s; however, if I'm not going to take it on trips because of the weight what the point in keeping it.

framer
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    If you put a Nikon Grip on the D810 to get more FPS and better battery life, there is very little difference between the D3s or D4 in weight.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Keep it for when you send out the D810 for service for any reason you will have working body as a backup.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited July 2015
    After thinking very hard, I'm keeping it. Bottom line, if I need to get an image under any conditions the D3s would be my choice. I really need to start using it when appropriate. I been using the d810 for everything even when 6mb will do. I kid you not the voice note function was the deciding factor.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments,

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    @framer congratulations. I think you made a wise choice.

As you also concluded, my D3S, is still my goto camera when I have to get the shot under any circumstances. Nevertheless, I too enjoy the the higher resolution, and dynamic range of the D800 series for landscape images, cropping long lens shots, and making large prints.

Camera choice hinges most on what we need, and like to shoot. When the new wore off my D800 the D3s was once again my goto cameras. Like you mentioned there are a lot of wasted pixels in the D800 if you are shooting it all the time. Moreover, there is very small difference in real life between the D3S and the D4 for still shots.

For action shooting the D3(S) / D4(S) absolutely rule over the the D800 series, and these cameras also respond instantaneously when something has to be shot fast. I am doubtful that I could bring myself to sell the D3S even when I purchase a D4S, or a D5. I absolutely would not sell it if, or when, I buy the D810, or its successor; but again I am not a serious landscape shooter.