Nikon Issues A Second Service Advisory For the D750

PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
edited March 2016 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Yes folks recall #2, and nobody even saw this one coming. Apparently there is an issue with the shutter in D750 cameras made in October and November 2014 that could cause exposure problems.

The following link is to Nikon Canada's website. Please navigate to your national or regional Nikon website for support.

http://en.nikon.ca/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/ibs1kfdg/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D750.html

*** Updated March 2016 *** Nikon has expanded this recall to all D750's made between October 2014, and June 2015.
Post edited by PB_PM on
If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    At least Nikon manned up on this one and apologized twice in the service memo, and is paying for shipping, and clearly described the problem, and which cameras are affected. Bravo =D>
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    My thoughts exactly.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    D600 lesson well learnt ! Well done nikon!
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Yeah, nothing but compliments to Nikon here. Things happen in production runs, nothing shows up perfectly and it sounds like this really only effects a relatively small run that was made quite some time ago. I've not heard a single peep about this posted so even those effected the effect/problem must be quite minor. Hats off to Nikon for being proactive.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited July 2015
    So I got my D750 in November and I had a hunch when I read the advisory that mine was affected. Yes the serial number came back as having the issue. So I started to fill out the forum to return my D750 and guess what........there is NO selection for USA for the country name. You have got to be kidding. So I looked carefully and the link is to the UK site.

So now I am off to the NIKON USA web site to try it there.

Two service advisories in 9 months. :((

Update at 9:39. The link provided by PB-PM is good and the forum is laid out differently then on the main blog and has USA and state input. Should have the shipping documents tomorrow.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited July 2015
    @Photobug Haha yes the link I posted is from Nikon.ca (Canada). Guess I should have linked to the global site.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm in the clear, bought in the UK in october.
    Always learning.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    edited July 2015
    Serial number check says mine's affected... (bought in Austria in November) ah well... off to Nikon Service it goes again!!!
    Post edited by bald_eagle on
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Does anybody have a sample of the issue. I'm curious.
    I haven't seen any sample of this problem anywhere. I'm guessing this is more of a proactive response by Nikon to a number of units turned in for repair.
    I still had the box from the first recall, so I boxed it up this morning and dropped it off at the UPS Store this afternoon. Now the clock is ticking.

I have not seen this issue on my images. Will see what they find.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Nikon Service received my D750 on July 15th and it's now in the shop. THis is what they posted fro the status:

Problem: TO GWO SHUTTER No Charge/Good Will Repair CHECK AF AND METER
    Total cost of repair: $0.00*

Since they have the camera I also asked them to check the focus and meter system.
    Looks like Nikon will handle this situation quickly, which is nice to see.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    This thread is an excellent rationalization for purchasing a second body :-B
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    Nikon Service received my D750 on July 15th and it's now in the shop. THis is what they posted fro the status:

Problem: TO GWO SHUTTER No Charge/Good Will Repair CHECK AF AND METER
    Total cost of repair: $0.00*

Since they have the camera I also asked them to check the focus and meter system.
    Got an email today, July 27, my D750. They shipped it today and I should have it on Thursday. That would be one day short of 3 weeks.

Anyone else get notification that the service work has been completed?
    So while reading messages on NRF, the door bell rung. UPS delivered my D750. Shipped it on July 10th, they received it on July 15th and it shipped on July 27th with arrival today, July 30th.

I was surprised what they did to fix the shading issue for this Service Advisory. There was half a sheet of paper with a note to me saying that the Nikon D750 has been serviced under the terms of the service advisory. They referenced me to the service invoice on what service was performed on my D750. They also suggested I visit www.nikonusa.com/d750TSA for additional information.

The Invoice Repair sheet says:
    +Replaced shutter mechanism
    + Checked communications
    + Firmware upgrade
    + Cleaned CCD sensor
    + General Check and clean

I figured it was a mirror and shutter adjustment NOT a full replacement of the shutter mechanism. Wow, is that going to cost Nikon money. Wonder how many were recalled on this Service Advisory.

I just checked the firmware update and found:
    C: 1.02
    L: 2.009
    I had updated my firmware not too long ago but don't remember what it was.

I will tell you the camera is clean and the screws are not messed up and look fine. Much to my surprise, the camera was returned with a DL-21 rubber eye cup in place. I had removed mine before sending it to Nikon so it would not be misplaced. So I now have a backup. :))

Tomorrow I will get outside and shoot some pictures and then check the first image for number of shutter activations.

Thought those D750 shooters would like to know what they did to my camera.
    ware update and found:
    C: 1.02
    L: 2.009
    I had updated my firmware not too long ago but don't remember what it was.
    Those are the current versions available to the public.
    Thanks PB_PM - I checked the web site for the firmware this morning and saw it was the same as on the camera. Interesting.

So I took 70 pictures this morning with my D750 and then spent over an hour making menu changes in the menus to reflect my preferences. Yea, I should have saved them to the memory card and then updated the camera from that card. Dumb mistake on my part.

Any way I checked the first image I shot and of course the file numbers restarted at 0001 and then the shutter activations. They took 161 shots with it for testing. Not too bad. The camera is working fine and I am happy...that is what counts.

Going on vacation later in August and that will be the real test.
    As of today Nikon has expanded this recall to all D750's made between October 2014, and July 2015.

My camera's serial number is under those affected, so it's going in. Don't want to mess around with a possibly faulty shutter. I'm just waiting for Nikon to email me the free shipping label.
    Got the D750 back yesterday, just over two weeks between shipping and service completion. Nikon didn't even notify me that they had shipped the camera back, a little odd. I get emails from Nikon Canada when they receive an item, saying to log into their custom support page to check repair status etc (they even provide a user name/password). Great right? Problem is that the page doesn't seem to exist, at least not at the provided link, and the username/password does not work on any part of Nikon Canada's site, so that is not overly helpful.

Supposedly Nikon has been working on this service support site since early 2011, sorry Nikon Canada but how on earth is it that it still doesn't work 5 years later? Custom support kind of sucks, and now that there is only one support centre in the entry county. I honestly hope I don't have to send anything into Nikon again.

The report for the repair notes that they replaced the shutter, but apparently didn't reset the shutter count for some reason. Kind of strange, IMO. I can tell that they replaced the rubber grip on the front, as noted, since it feels new.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I can help you reset the shutter count if you really want to ;) P.S. Don't ever buy a camera from me >:)
    Yeah no thanks. :p I just found it odd that they would replace the shutter but not reset the count. It is not going to make me loose any sleep or anything.
  • Searick1Searick1 Posts: 5Member
    I sent my D750 in last week for this repair, on the service page it now says "parts hold". How do they not have the parts??? Does anyone know how long it will take for the return of my camera?

Thank you
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It depends on where you sent the body to and where the parts have to come from really. If it is a repair centre that has run out of those parts but they are in stock at the distributors, it will only add a couple of days most likely but if the distributor is out of them then they have to come from Japan or wherever so will be longer. Why not ask them how long?
    Always learning.
    Send an email to Nikon Service and used your confirmation number and ask them about timing for the turn around. They normally replay to all service repair emails within 24 hours.