Nikon AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED /w Nano

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Yes, you are right. I stand corrected. I use the AI-S and it is great.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    Thank you guys
    Lots of food for thought
    I have always wanted a AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED
    The AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED does not have the same build quality
    but it is lighter and half the price. When stopped down to f 5.6 looking at the reviews, it is as sharp or sharper
    I am not bothered about edge sharpness at f1.8

As mentioned in another post. I am now fully retired, so I no longer need a convenience of zooms
    and will be building a rage of primes
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited May 2015
    =))
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    So is this 20mm f1.8 the best for nightscapes? If not, what is? I need low to zero coma (even buying a Zeiss does not guarantee this), and decent edge to edge sharpness at f1.4/1.8/2.0 but no slower than that. FL between 14 and 28mm but preferably 20-28mm. Cheap would be nice too, but what is there out there guys?
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I would love to get my hands on a 20mm f1.8 to assess its coma. So far - including a Zeiss - the best coma I have seen is from my cheap Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f2.8 and 24mm f1.4 manual focus lenses. They are not perfect, but they are the best I have seen so far. I was both surprised and disappointed when I found this. If the 20mm F1.8 Nikon is significantly better than them, I will sell them and buy one.
    http://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-20mm-f1-8-g-ed-n-review

Not having the Samyang, I can't compare, the above is the only astro review I can find. Tempted just to buy it and try it. Seems killer for everything else, and awesome sun stars stopped down.
    edited June 2015
    So is this 20mm f1.8 the best for nightscapes? If not, what is? I need low to zero coma (even buying a Zeiss does not guarantee this), and decent edge to edge sharpness at f1.4/1.8/2.0 but no slower than that. FL between 14 and 28mm but preferably 20-28mm. Cheap would be nice too, but what is there out there guys?
    This lens is sharp, fast and has no coma. I would just buy that. As you know, I have the 20 2.8Ais, which is fine for me as I am shooting landscapes at f/8 where the lens performs decently The coma is pretty obvious wide open, though not at f/8. But if I was shooting astrophotography (and I would if I lived in an area with dark skies like I did when I was a kid and had a 10" Newtonian), I would add the 58 1.4G and the 20 1.8G to my 85 1.4G, all of which have little or no coma wide open. Not sure what else does, I would have to research that.

The only caveat in my comments is that I have not actually used the 20mm 1.8. However, given the reviews and how easy it is to test for coma, I would not bother testing it myself before I bought it.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
    @WestEndFoto: When you say this lens is sharp, fast and has no coma, which lens are you talking about?

@Ironheart: Thanks for the link. This extract: 'And, considering the slightly under-whelming corner sharpness, coma, and overall light fall off / transmission issues, any die-hard landscape-astrophotographer will feel that this lens could be a little better.' means that I feel cautious about getting one now.
    Always learning.
    Sorry for my ambiguity Spraynpray. The 20mm 1.8G.
    I understand your reluctance Spraynpray. I am one that thinks that Nikon can do better on the wide end. I have always been annoyed that Nikon has a mediocre 14 2.8 prime, thus I bought the 14-24 zoom.

But is there anything better, or even as good, at 20mm?
    edited June 2015
    @snp, don't take that out of context, he says "for the price" and "if it had a $100 rebate I'd buy it now". I'm not sure it isn't better than the samy, just not as good as it could possibly be. I think a slightly better lens would be double the price.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    40mm ain't 20mm and every mm adds more exposure time for astrophotography ;)
    Mine arrived today
    I will post some results soon
    several reviews have suggest this is not a lot sharper than the 16 - 35
    well it might not be sharper than their 16 -35 but it is a lot sharper than mine
    @Seven, if you are referring to the 20mm f/1.8G, I just grabbed mine last week. Haven't had a chance to shoot stars with it yet, but from the looks of it in daylight it seems PDS (Pretty Damn Sharp)
    @Seven, if you are referring to the 20mm f/1.8G,
    I got AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED

which I think is what this thread is meant to be all about

Oh, Duh, yeah. Well I just got the same puppy. Congrats! Hope to get it out tonight, if the skies are clear.
    I really need to see a hundred percent crop of the corners of a 5 second exposure Ironheart ;;) I'll happily sell three other lenses to get it if it is coma free.
    Always learning.
    Consider it done. I don't think any lens is "coma free", but we'll see how much there is.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I just got my hands on a 20mm AFS f/1.8 G and tested it against my 17-35 AFS f/2.8 on a D810. Just what I expected to find was that 17 -35 just does not do well with the D810. Even stopped down to 5.6 the 17-35 @20 was not in the same class as that 20 @ 1.8. WOW to that 20mm 1.8. On my D3s they were close but not on the D810.

Looks like I'm going to put the two zoom lenses I own into a D3s kit and just use primes with the D810.

framer
    DSC_0079
    D7200 | 20mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 | ISO 1600 | 5 sec | LENR | Astro NR
    WOW! That is the best coma control I have seen on any lens so far and that includes Zeiss too. Not 'no' coma, but certainly the lowest I've seen.

Thanks for that @Ironheart, I appreciate it. My wallet doesn't, but that's life.
    Always learning.
    Yes, I had to go to 200% to find the few birdies that do exist. I'm pretty happy, even though my wallet is a bit lighter...
    If I was into astrophotography, and I would be if I did not live in a big city, I would own this lens. My 40 and 85 are also coma free, so they would be the 3 lens in my astrophotography set.

The 58 1.4 also has no coma.
    edited July 2015

Have not much of a chance to use mine yet. This was taken today in the garden
    1/90 f16 D800 ISO 160
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    Nice garden Seven.
    Always learning.