Zeiss Otus 85mm--faulty connection with camera. Weight a factor?

danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have both the 55mm and 85mm Zeiss Otus lens and have been using them with my D800 and D810 bodies. I've had the 55 for a few months, and the 85 for about a month. I just completed an 8-day studio catalog shoot where I relied on the 85mm on the 810 for almost the entire shoot (good lens for full-length fashion). On the 7th day, I started getting confusing info on the camera from the lens. Instead of putting up the f-stop it would only show whole numbers from 2 to 7. When I would take the shot it would not record the lens information in the file data. I could not shoot at the desired aperture. I experienced this with both the D800 and the D810. I could get the 55mm Otus to work on both bodies just fine. Upon further poking around, I found that if I manually held the lens in place on the body (i.e.. put twisting pressure to make a more firm connection) the lens would function properly. I was able to complete the shoot alternating between the 85 and my 70-200.

I plan on sending to Zeiss when I return to my home base from this project. I am wondering if the substantial weight of the lens is actually causing an interruption in the connection between the lens' cpu and the camera. Has anyone else experienced this?
D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC

Comments

• paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited July 2015
    Danhowl I use the 55 version on the D810 and a D4, not had any problems, Would suggest First speak to Zeiss direct not the supplying dealer,subject to what they say I think Zeiss will want to look at the lens themselves. They have an excellent after sales service. Silly question but you have got the bodies set to manual not A/F
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Probably more likely just a loose connection in the lens or some crud on the contacts on the mount. I'd run some alcohol on a cloth over the contacts, and make sure that they depress and release all the way (they are spring-loaded). Possibly the contacts in your camera, but since it's more than one body, and the other lenses are okay, I'd focus just on the one lens, and the contacts there. If a quick clean doesn't help, I'd do what @paulr suggests and reach out to Zeiss.
    edited July 2015
    Had a similar problem with a DX3 when mounting a Nikon Lens, Turned out to be where the lens fits the F bayonet fit on the camera This plate had come loose and was not making the correct electrical contact, A new front plate Bayonet was fitted to the camera by Nikon Uk Free of charge.
    Post edited by paulr on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Probably more likely just a loose connection in the lens or some crud on the contacts on the mount. I'd run some alcohol on a cloth over the contacts, and make sure that they depress and release all the way (they are spring-loaded). Possibly the contacts in your camera, but since it's more than one body, and the other lenses are okay, I'd focus just on the one lens, and the contacts there. If a quick clean doesn't help, I'd do what @paulr suggests and reach out to Zeiss.
    +1 on your assessment. The use of alcohol may take care of the issue. It really sounds like a contact issue.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    I use both Otti. No problems on either with D810. (so far)

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    Silly question but you have got the bodies set to manual not A/F - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/4506/zeiss-otus-85mm-faulty-connection-with-camera-weight-a-factor#Item_1

The M/AF setting does not effect either this problem or the performance of the lens.

I have tried on two different camera bodies with the same effect. The 55mm works fine on both bodies regardless of M/AF setting. My Nikon lenses do not demonstrate this problem on either body.

What I did notice on closer inspection is that the 85 has more play in the bayonet mount/lock than the 55 does. I have certainly had lens mounts loosen up over time, but not demonstrate this problem.

Certainly the obvious answer is to contact Zeiss which, of course, I already have. I spoke to Ed in NY location service department. He said he suspected CPU and needed to see it. As I mentioned, I'm on an extended project which happenes to be on the west coast and I am based on the east coast. Ed said that he required the entire original packaging in order to service the lens which I will not be able to use until I return to my home base this weekend. I was inquiring to see if there were any similar experiences before I am able to send in the lens properly.
    D3X, D800, 17-35, 28-70, Zeiss 55mm OTUS, 85mm Zeiss CF.2, 85mm PCE, 70-200 VRII, 105DC
  • danhowldanhowl Posts: 36Member
    edited July 2015
    FYI, I just got back from Zeiss in person. Luckily their US headquarters for photo optics is in NY State and I was able to bring my faulty lens to their facility as I am located in the same general area. They were super-easy to deal with. In giving them a description of what was happening they determined that it needed to be sent back to Germany, so they actually replaced it with a brand new one on the spot. It was one of the most positive repair experiences I have had professionally. One of their senior repair/service people is someone that I had dealt with in the past at Hasselblad before he came over to Zeiss.

The new lens is obviously immaculate and functioning perfectly on my bodies. Thumbs up for Zeiss.
    Post edited by danhowl on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Now THAT is customer service!
    Always learning.
    Glad to hear Zeiss are still maintaining their 5 Star After Sales Service