"Lexar Workflow" - workflow

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited July 2015 in General Discussions
I just got the fabled Lexar Workflow setup for my Mac Pro. Fitting it with the SD and the CF card readers, I also got the 512GB SSD storage module. It is fast, and I can transfer from both card readers concurrently, and it utilises the TB2 bus on my system. In addition the modules are portable, so I bring them on the road.

However, I had hoped there would be a functionality in where I simply inserted the cards, and they got copied to the SSD automatically. So my question is; does anyone have the Lexar Workflow, and has anyone figured out how to implement such a workflow?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Killerbob - going off topic for a few messages. Are you using a CF/SD card reader that is 2.0 or 3.0 USB? My new computer has 6 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports and I am thinking of buying a Lexar CF/SD card reader 3.0. Appreciate your feedback.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @Photobug Go for the USB3.0 card reader, it will much faster than USB2.0 for any card with read speeds faster than 25MB/S.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Yep, any USB3 is way faster than a USB2 card reader. However, the Lexar Workflow actually uses Thunderbolt 2 (TB2) which again is a significantly faster bus than USB3. The individual card readers in the Workflow setup are USB3 connections, but the unit itself uses TB2.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I already own two USB 2.0 card readers that is why I though I would jump to 3.0 PB_PM.

Thanks Killerbob for the input.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    For anyone who cares, I figured out how to take a clone of my camera cards whenever I insert them in my card readers;

I use the application "Carbon Copy Cloner", in which I create a tasks which triggers whenever there is a disk appearance in any of the cardreaders in the Lexar Workflow. When a card is recognised the contents of the folder "Nikon D810" is cloned to the Lexar SSD. This effectively means that whenever I insert a CF or an SD card into the readers, the task immediately triggers, copying the files to the SSD. I can then copy the files of the SSD later. This even works if my Mac Pro is asleep. Cool, huh?