Windows 10

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited August 2015 in General Discussions
Anybody got this?

Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I leave my Windows closed at night to keep crooks out. I upgraded my windows a few years ago, so they work really well. Not sure if they are version 10 or not. :p

I have not upgraded to Windows 10, haven't even considered any of the Window's OS's post 7.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    i started with Windows 3.2 then 95 , 98 , XP finally 7
    My laptop is on 8
    My desktop on 7
    It would be nice to have them on the same system
    I do not use the laptop much and hate 8 so it will try that first
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Thought what the heck and updated yesterday. Seams to work just fine. Different look. Everything works and some that didn't seams to work now. We will see. :-B
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I use linux :-) whats windows 10 .. last I heard it was 8 ? ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited August 2015
    For once I've been lucky. Just about every alternate Windows OS has been real rubbish (last bad one was 8). I am fine with 7 on my machines for the moment, so unless 10 makes older machines faster than 7, I'll wait at least until the dust settles.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I heard from a complainer friend that lots of people are having issues with Windows 10. Wonder if its a small sample or a lot of people having issues.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    I upgraded my laptop last night. It was windows 8 anyway and I didn't think it could get any worse. 10 seems to work fine and is a definite upgrade from 8.

Capture NX2 seems to work just fine........
    I heard from a complainer friend that lots of people are having issues with Windows 10. Wonder if its a small sample or a lot of people having issues.
    More of the pro reviews are saying that overall Window 10 is the best release since 7, but that there are some outstanding bugs that need to be worked out before anyone doing professional work on the OS should upgrade.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    First time I have ever liked there web browser. Seams to work great. ~:>
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2015
    For once I've been lucky. Just about every alternate Windows OS has been real rubbish (last bad one was 8). I am fine with 7 on my machines for the moment, so unless 10 makes older machines faster than 7, I'll wait at least until the dust settles.
    This is pretty much how I feel as well at this point. However, I get the "Get Windows 10" popup daily now so I might cave soon. I think another month or so and I will be on board... ;)
    Post edited by kanuck on
    , but that there are some outstanding bugs that need to be worked out
    No matter how long you wait there always will be
    I upgraded to XP the week it was launched and no regrets
    ( No I did not use Vista)

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have had every version of Windows since 3.1. Millenium was the biggest disappointment. Window 8.0 is on my photography desktop and 8.1 on my older desktop for everything else (I upgraded that from 7). Windows 8.0 is the best so far but I reconfigured it it to make it look like 7, which is the one that I have enjoyed working with the most.

The biggest thing that I am looking forward to with Windows 10 is complete reliability with hard drives larger than two terabytes. I could get rid of 20 2 terabyte hard drives if I could upgrade them to 10 terabyte drives. I will likely upgrade my 8.1 machine to it and see how it works.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    I have put 10 on a tablet to replace the awful 8. It is marginally less awful than 8 - but absolutely no way would I put it on my laptop currently with windows 7. It has too much crapware, like Film &TV, Xbox etc that I don't want and cannot remove (or at least I have not spend long enough on Google).
    edited August 2015
    It has too much crapware, like Film &TV, Xbox .
    one mans meat :)
    Downloading Windows 10
    4% complete
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited August 2015
    , but that there are some outstanding bugs that need to be worked out
    No matter how long you wait there always will be
    I upgraded to XP the week it was launched and no regrets
    ( No I did not use Vista)

Sure, and I've run beta versions as well, but never on a main work machine. Most business will wait for a service pack before upgrading to a new version of Windows. Then again as of Window's 10 service packs are a thing of the past...

I won't be upgrading because I've basically given up on Microsoft. I have been running Windows and Mac OS side by side for many years, but I think that will transition to a Mac OS and Linux pair.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I will try 10 on my lap top which is my "play" machine
  • mmcdonaldmmcdonald Posts: 17Member
    I installed 10 on my old laptop, preferred it to 8.1 so installed it in my new desktop. In my opinion it seems decent.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I have upgraded both the laptop and workstation to Win10. Different and more like 7 than the 8's. I skipped from 7 to 10. Both machines are noticeably faster. No action benchmark but they do seem to run much smoother. Looks like the memory management has been improved. My biggest gripe so far is I have not figured out how even if it is possible to import favorites into Edge. And then again it may be possible to do it manually with a copy paste into a folder. I'm a gnats breath away from tossing Gates and Co and going Mac.
    edited August 2015
    but that there are some outstanding bugs that need to be worked out before anyone doing professional work on the OS should upgrade.
    Anyone using windows professionally, should spent some time reading licensing agreement :)
    edited August 2015
    . It has too much crapware, like Film &TV, Xbox etc that I don't want and cannot remove .
    These are only installed by default if you don't use the custom option
    but it does seem to add an icon on the start menu that can be removed

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Have 7 now. I'll be waiting for a while until it smooths out. Have 8 on a Windows tablet at works and I can navigate it ok, but really kind of hate it. I heard 10 was better though. There has to be a catch for it being free right? I mean 8 didn't sell or something?
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    edited August 2015
    I have just upgraded my laptop. from 8 to 10
    IMHO definitely better than 8
    LR 5.7 runs faster
    Chrome and Spotify work fine
    a few pop ups, in bottom right, for add ons. but so far, nothing irritation
    I will probably upgrade my desktop tops from 7 to 10 in a few days
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    . It has too much crapware, like Film &TV, Xbox etc that I don't want and cannot remove .
    These are only installed by default if you don't use the custom option
    but it does seem to add an icon on the start menu that can be removed

Sadly, the right-click and uninstall option is not available on many items - like xbox and Film & TV - although I have managed to get rid of other rubbish that way.

I wonder if the anti-trust brigade will go after them in the way they did a while back over Internet Explorer?

And as for spyware - http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-02/surveillance-state-goes-mainstream-windows-10-watching-logging-everything
    I am not sure xbox and Film & TV are actually installed. I think they may only be links to the apps

RE anti-trust brigade. I suspect this will be covered by the agreement you tick when you install WIN 10

It does not bother me, what people know about me
    but I do worry, when people make things up

• SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I was running the nightly Windows 10 builds in VM Ware before it was released to the public. It seems faster than Windows 8, I am running it (Windows 10 Pro) in triple boot with Mac OS and Linux on USB 3.0 keys.

I like it, It is taking a little getting use to some of the changes though.... I really would prefer a true Windows 7 Start bar and just leave the tiles for the tablets.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||