Nikkor 50mm 1.4 on D90

SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hope somebody can explain this.

I have seen a 50mm 1.4 with a serial nr 3981069. As far as i have found out it is a Ai lens. But im still not sure, and the last thing i want to do is to damage my D90.

Is there something I should look for, so I can be 100% sure that it fit on my DSLR

Thanks !
Tagged:

Comments

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited July 2015
    Here's Thom's article on Nikon lens compatibility with Nikon bodies -
    http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Looks like an AI lens will mount, but not meter, on a D90. Make sure it is at least an AI lens, however, as pre-AI lenses will damage your camera.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited July 2015
    The critical difference is that pre-AI lenses do not have a ridge cutout on the place where the lens meets the camera.
    From http://nikon.com/about/feelnikon/recollections/r28_e/index.htm
    Only the DF has this special feature that allows the AI indexing lever to fold or push out of the way. On the D90 and most other digital camera bodies, the lever will be bent and damaged by trying to mount a PRE-AI lens. The best way to tell what lens you have is to see a picture. Can you point us to that? From the serial number it appears as if it is an AI lens, but we need to be sure to make sure you won't damage your camera.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • SamkoSamko Posts: 101Member
    Here is the site :
    http://m.dba.dk/vintage-kamera-nikon-nikk/id-1016931894/

I have no problem with full manual photography, so no metering is ok, i have samyang lenses and i get the right exposure in 2-3 shots .

Its more that I dont need this lens, but if I can get it for 70$ so why not .

And thank you for the help.
    edited July 2015
    The pictures don't help because we can't see the lens mount, or verify the serial number or other markings. However, I still think it is an AI lens, and for the price I would go for it, as long as you can send it back if it turns out not to be one. You will be able to tell by looking:
    From http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00V6PK
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Ok, thank for the photo. Now i know what to look for. Looks like he already sold it , :/ damn fast . I'll be looking for them in the future too. Its great to gues the right exposure, and see it become more and more spot on :)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Samko ..if you used auto iso you would get the exposure first time ....
    Samko ..if you used auto iso you would get the exposure first time ....
    thx for the tip, I will try that out ( with max 100 iso )
    Good luck, since the base ISO is 200 on a D90 you can't set auto ISO lower than 200, but then why would you want to...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Here is the expert on the different lenses and which ones will work on what bodies. He has converted a couple from the 1960's, I guess these are what we call Pre-historic lenses, but they work well on my D90, D800E, and D4 once converted....and allow the magic of manual focusing to be once again in my hand.

http://www.aiconversions.com
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited August 2015
    Oh my I am old. I remember John White.
    I had one of my lens converter and never had an issue. It was a great way to keep a quality lens to use on a newer body. And when I sold that lens it sold because it had been modified. I have no issues with this modification when done by someone that knows what they are doing to avoid scratching the rear element of the lens. Thanks Tommie for the recommendation and sharing.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    Samko, from the looks of the pictures it is indeed an AI lens. The repeated, smallish f numbers on the back side of the aperture ring are a tell tale sign of an AI lens. If the smallest aperture is also painted orange, then it is a newer AI-S lens, which in this case is not.
    @ironheart :
    Sorry I ment 1000 Iso, if I can keep under that its ok with me. But I like my photos at iso 200.
    I will keep looking for old lenses. Since the budget i low :)