Windows 10

Comments

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I've dumped a lot of the bloat that Gates dumps on us and now things are cleaner. All my old IE favorites did import into edge smoothly. It is still a step better but may very well be my last MS system. After 29 years I may just return to a Mac.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I decided I am going to get our netbook out and try to update it. It has been struggling with 7 and since people seem to think 10 might be faster it is worth a shot. It doesn't get used much anyway.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    edited August 2015
    I was running the nightly Windows 10 builds in VM Ware before it was released to the public. It seems faster than Windows 8, I am running it (Windows 10 Pro) in triple boot with Mac OS and Linux on USB 3.0 keys.

I like it, It is taking a little getting use to some of the changes though.... I really would prefer a true Windows 7 Start bar and just leave the tiles for the tablets.
    That is something I don't understand. It was like Windows couldn't make a competitive phone/tablet system so they pushed a tablet interface on desktop/laptop users. How many people are actually using the touch screen features? I hate the App type interface stuff. I don't want my desktop to use a mobile operating system. Maybe Microsoft decided it couldn't support a mobile and non-mobile Windows versions like before? Seems like they could still do something to distinguish them to make it more user friendly.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2015
    There are now, so many choices of phones, tablets, iPads. kindles laptops and watches. Those of us who getting the the top of the hill, are finding it hard to keep up.
    An OS that works on everything and has a common interface has its attractions

Post edited by sevencrossing on
    edited August 2015
    All my old IE favorites did import into edge smoothly.
    I abandoned IE 2 years ago and switched to chrome
    looking at my adword stats. I was not the only one
    My chrome bookmarks moved from 8 to 10 automatically, with no problems

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    edited August 2015
    Just bought the wife a Surface 3, and upgraded it to Win10 over the weekend. Yep, looks more like a desktop operating system now. I've actually grown to like Win8.1 on my cheapie Microcenter tablet, and I can use it like a laptop if I need to. And IE is the only browser that'll work well in both modes. One thing about desktop mode in either Win8 or Win10, you need a mouse and keyboard - none of the desktop layouts were designed with touch in mind.

Want my wife to be able to use the browser both ways, tablet and desktop, so I'm giving Edge a workout. Not sure if it's ready for prime time; I had one case of 'didn't respond to any touch', only went away when I killed the task.

Now, the Surface 3 is really nice hardware. Crisp, bright screen, no fan or hard drive, a real USB port, and the keyboard/trackpad, while pricey, is just made to work with the tablet. Got a magnetic pogo-pin connection; you just have to get it in the vicinity, and it snaps in place. Win10 asks you if you want to change tablet/desktop modes if you attach/remove the keyboard.

It pains me to report all this goodness from Microsoft. I'm a long-time Linux user...
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
    Funny to think how times have changed. Windows releases were like iPhone releases are now...people waiting in line and paying ridiculous money. Now they are giving it away free and most don't even want it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think Microsoft have become like a strangers dog - you don't know whether to put your hand out to it because it could bite!
    Always learning.
    Unsurprisingly, lots of negative microsoft comments and people threatening to jump ship to Canon
    But has anyone actually had one who has actually used it regretted upgrading ?
    Unsurprisingly, lots of negative microsoft comments and people threatening to jump ship to Canon
    But has anyone actually had one who has actually used it regretted upgrading ?
    Are you sure you're on the right thread seven? Comment seems a bit random?
    Always learning.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    Well I was using a Macbook and I jumped ship to Nikon! :)
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Once you do Mac, you never go back:)
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    Working in IT I do know that one shouldn't fix something that isn't broke, but on the other hand I do have to check out new stuff, part of the job :-)
    So, last night I thought I'd might just update my brand new HP workstation, where I have no crazy odd hardware installed, just standard certified hardware from HP except for a 8TB extra HD and my Wacom...
    Everything went sooth except for one small hick-up... I got stuck at 800x600 resolution and no way to change it.. oh, well at least the restore back to Win7 went really fast and everything worked just as it was before I tried the upgrade.
    I didn't expect that HP and Nvidia hardware would have caused any problems, I'd expect I might struggle with the wacom or something, but not this..
    Naturally I could have been more patient and tried to fix it, but when Nvidia hadn't released a newer driver than the one I had I had no patience as I did have photos to edit, I can use all day at work to figure out things that needs to be fixed on computers, but at home I have worse patience that my users at work do :-)
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    Working in IT I do know that one shouldn't fix something that isn't broke, but on the other hand I do have to check out new stuff, part of the job :-)
    So, last night I thought I'd might just update my brand new HP workstation, where I have no crazy odd hardware installed, just standard certified hardware from HP except for a 8TB extra HD and my Wacom...
    Everything went sooth except for one small hick-up... I got stuck at 800x600 resolution and no way to change it.. oh, well at least the restore back to Win7 went really fast and everything worked just as it was before I tried the upgrade.
    I didn't expect that HP and Nvidia hardware would have caused any problems, I'd expect I might struggle with the wacom or something, but not this..
    Naturally I could have been more patient and tried to fix it, but when Nvidia hadn't released a newer driver than the one I had I had no patience as I did have photos to edit, I can use all day at work to figure out things that needs to be fixed on computers, but at home I have worse patience that my users at work do :-)
    I am sure it is no consolation - but you are not alone: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

Anyway, I have one system on it - and that's how it will remain. The rest will stay on 7.
    Thanks to you guys for stopping me from doing anything rash! :D
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I did not have any problem with my Nvida hardware. My screen resolution did change during the process and when it restarted it was fine.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited August 2015
    It didn't work on my Dell Precision laptop, but reverted smoothly back to w7. I wonder if they will come out with an update?

Edit: I do not have any Nvidia card.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    edited August 2015
    Does anyone know how/where to read log files and figure out what went wrong when a w10 installation reverted back to w7?

I have only find messages saying that it went wrong. And now it is downloading w10 again, like nothing has happened.

Update: I found in the Windows Update history that I got an error code C1900101. It is not documented on microsoft.com as far as I can see (I've fond a list of error codes applicable to the w10 installation but not this one) but there are many forum postings about this. I give up on w10.
    I just copied the error code into google and got lots of people having the same problem - failing to boot - but no solutions that I can see.
    Always learning.
    edited August 2015
    Thank you, there where some suggestions like remove anything connected to usb, but nothing that applied to me. When I pressed the button saying something like "find solutions" I got an error message about my spelling being incorrect. It doesn't give me a great feeling. I hope Microsoft solves the problem and comes out with a new version. My laptop is a standard three years old Dell computer. It was good however that I got my w7 back.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I tried updating to Windows 10 on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine several times without success. Both times I was able to revert back successfully. I do have an NVIDIA graphics card on that machine I haven't explored possible options. I don't plan on doing my Windows 8.1 Desktop or Laptop until further research, if at all. For some of us, this is frustrating but not unlike Microsoft experiences in the past. Of course switching to Apple is a bit like moving from one camera manufacturer to another, although that would be my preference in a photography dominated arena.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    Updated my netbook. Seems fine so far. Of course there wasn't much on the netbook.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Update: Decided to update my Windows 8.1 Desktop PC. Update went fine. I haven't seen any real advantages as yet but everything seems to be working.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    After struggling with an old spec machine for a few years, I finally shelled out for a decent laptop :o3 . I got a 17" Acer with 2.6/3.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 128Mb SSD, 1Tb 7200 HDD and a high end Graphics card (Nvidea GTX960M).

It came with Win8.1 and had a sticker on it saying 'Acer supports this machine for Win 10 upgrade'. The first thing I did was upgrade the machine to Win 10 as I hated the 8.1 OS. I found out later that the shop that sold it to me also sold versions ready upgraded which came with a 64Gb recovery USB drive for $50 extra. What could go wrong eh? Right.

From the beginning I ran into problems which I can't be bothered to go into here, but let's just say that for the foreseeable future, any hope I had to keep it off the internet to avoid it being slowed more and more by updates is on hold. I wasted three days of my life trying everything I could think of to get the thing going including three hours on the phone to the 'Know-How Guys' and they were stumped too. They agreed I should exchange it. New machine, same problems but found a guy who said he thought everybody on the 'Know-How' team knew that there are huge problems with the mail app and that Microsoft has a huge update that will be with me by the end of the month. As he took over my machine remotely and got it to the point where I could use it for everything else, I kept it. My partner came round the other day and I went through the saga with him blow-by-blow. I was frustrated that every time I told any support guy that when I did a speed test on it at speedtest.net the download test was fine but it didn't do the upload test and when I told them this, it was like tumbleweed blew through the other end of the phone. Finally my partner agreed that it seemed the machine had no ability to upload. Dropbox didn't update, I couldn't access any Microsoft mail site, *argh* it was a nightmare. We finally downloaded a network adaptor card firmware update for it and it worked. The Microsoft mail app 'Edge' is rubbish, but the rest works fine now.

I know Microsoft have got this dream of a common GUI across the board, and that they were losing market share fast due to the horror that is Win 8.1, but why do they get an OS to the point where it isn't broke any more then go and 'fix' it with something that is and have the customers sort the bugs out of it. There should be a 'Win 7 or Win 10 GUI' option switch on the desktop because Win 7 was such a nice intuitive OS that was an evolution of the previous Windows OS's whereas 8 and 10 (10 to a lesser extent) are horrid. I wouldn't mind so much, but a fair few of the changes seem to be just for the sake of it. I mean, making all your products share a GUI style with your mobile phone package that doesn't sell well anyway? Madness.

Rant over.

The funny thing is that just after all that, the graphics card manufacturer of my old machine bought out a driver update that greatly improved the performance of the old gal!

I'm too old for all this cr@p.
    Always learning.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited December 2015
    Win 10 started out fast on a new laptop that replaced a dead workstation. After loading lightroom and photoshop and MS Office that was all it took to slow it down. Well a few (quite a few) GB's of photos too. I've been told by someone in the know that Gate's biggest threat is his own self along with Google, not Linux or Apple. The junk MS is turning out leaves a big void in the market place. Rome fell, the iron curtain came down, and so can MS. I should be sleeping but my embeding problem was keeping me awake and I just felt like ranting with all the useless changes taking place.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on