D800 - Scratch in Mirror?

Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Just a general question that I am unsure how to trouble shoot:

I was out snapping a few pics today. I took a quick glance inside the camera after de-mounting my lens. It appears I have a scratch in the mirror that runs parallel to the lower line of the focus (bottom line of the "focus box.") I haven't noticed this affecting my pictures. I'm also completely clueless how this could happen. I've never dropped the camera and have been diligent in taking great care of it.

Does this need to be sent back to nikon?

I appreciate any help...
Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    A scratched mirror will not affect your pictures, as the mirror is flipped out of the way when you take a picture. Can you see the scratch through the viewfinder?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sure it isn't a hair?
    Always learning.
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    Definitely not a hair. I turned the camera upside down and tried using my rocket blower.. No luck. I even gently rubbed the scratch with a microfiber cloth I use for cleaning my lens filters.. And no luck again. I don't really want to stick a finger nail in there to see how deep the scratch is.

I'm unsure about the viewfinder. I'm at work and will look tomorrow. As I mentioned, it is very close to the "focus box," and hasn't caught the attention of my eye. But I will double check.

Thank you for the responses.

If its not affecting my pictures: is there any reason to have it investigated by Nikon?
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

I've scratched the mirror of many a camera. It can effect the exposure metering, but only if you really gunk it up badly - I have, rubbing jungle rot off a camera's insides - the light passes by the mirror to the meter.

If you can see the scratch on the mirror and want it gone, and it isn't a hair (doesn't blow off), you'll likely have to return the camera to a repair facility to replace it. I'd call Nikon. (I called them this week and didn't get the notion that the person I spoke with was 'camera savvy' - it could have been first echelon, point is expect to sent it in.

Personally, I'd want it fixed, but then, I've spent years with bent and nicked cameras and lenses and didn't think too much of it, I guess I've just gotten fussy with age (or want to be able to sell of a moment's notice ;-) ).

My best,

Mike
    edited February 2013
    Thank you very much, Mike.

I'm not sure how it happened. I haven't dropped the camera. Or attempted to clean the internal components.

I will call Nikon and inquire about repair costs. How much has it cost you in the past?
    Post edited by Scuderia1 on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This was brought up sometime ago on the old NRF.
    <<<Andrew Johnson said:
    I have an issue with the Mirror. I noticed at the weekend that about 1/2cm up from the bottom of it and about 2cm in width centered there is what looks to be a hairline scratch. My previous Nikons did not have anything like this. I spoke to Nikon and they grabbed a D800 whilst on the phone with me to discover theirs had exactly the same mark on it.
    I don't see how the mark could be made by the camera so it looks like a manufacturing issue to me. Obviously it doesn't affect the photographs and it's not noticeable through the viewfinder. If it is somehow made by the camera though, potentially it could get worse.

Out of curiosity I checked my D800, and (*cue the trumpets) it does have a scratch/rubbing mark in the same spot. Since it's somewhat uneven, I am leaning towards a manufacturing defect, rather than something that's supposed to be there.
    Which means my camera not just needs glasses on the left side AF sensors, disregards focus priority settings, has a battery that could potentially explode, it also comes with an "etch-a-sketch" mirror.>>>>

What was determined is this is not a scratch but some type of reflection from behind. There is no functional limitation and this is the same on all the D800's.

If anyone has more info, let us know.
    Msmoto, mod
  • fishguyfishguy Posts: 23Member
    Is it a long scratch about 1/4" from the bottom of the mirror, running about two-thirds the length of the mirror, and does it sort of look like dots and dashes (e.g., not a solid line)? Mine have this also - the way it moves around as you move the camera makes me believe it is a reflection of something, not a scratch. I went through FIVE D800 refurbished bodies trying to get a good one (due to oil splatter on the sensors), and I recall seeing this on them as well (when I looked).

~Fishguy
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi Scuderial,

Well, it didn't cost me anything. I turned the camera in and got another one. I'm guessing that the camera was chalked up as a combat loss in Vietnam.

I don't think it should cost too much to fix. If you have another camera, you could setup a wall with a known good exposure to see if there is a difference in exposure in the two cameras that is meaningful in spot, centered and matrix metering modes.

My best,

Mike

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Here is what Nikon is reported to have said
    ""The scratch isn't really as scratch as we can tell but a reflection of the surface under the translucent mirror."
    Msmoto, mod
    edited February 2013
    Is it a long scratch about 1/4" from the bottom of the mirror, running about two-thirds the length of the mirror, and does it sort of look like dots and dashes (e.g., not a solid line)? Mine have this also - the way it moves around as you move the camera makes me believe it is a reflection of something, not a scratch. I went through FIVE D800 refurbished bodies trying to get a good one (due to oil splatter on the sensors), and I recall seeing this on them as well (when I looked).

~Fishguy
    That is exactly what mine looks like! It looks like 2 separate scratches that are not attached in the center. So it resembles a " -- -- " appearance.

You really have to get proper lighting on the "scratch" to see it. I rotated my camera several different ways and looked for reflections. I couldn't find how it would be reflected to the mirror. After ruling out it was hair/dust, I assumed it was scratched.

Thank you very much for the info Fish and Ms Moto. I appreciate that. I had called Nikon and inquired about sending the camera back for repair. I can't thank you enough for the information. I hope other people get access to this Information and save themselves unnecessary repair costs..

Post edited by Scuderia1 on