Tripod head for Gitzo GT1545T

protikprotik Posts: 17Member
edited October 2015 in Gear Reviews
Hi guys

Much appreciated if you could advice in selecting a tripod head for Gitzo GT1545T (mostly will be used for landscape and while travelling to support D750 + 70-200mm f4 or a wide angle lens). I am considering the following two:

Gitzo GH1382TQD
Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1
BH-40 LR II

Gitzo GH1382TQD is made for this tripod however I am not sure if I should opt for Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 or BH-40 instead.

Cheers!
Post edited by protik on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As you have good legs (!), I would not skimp on the head and so don't just get one that will be 'enough' for your 200/4, expect to get a 600 in the future so spec the head for that now. I wish I could get back the money I spent on cheap stuff before I got good stuff.
    Always learning.
  • CirenSnapperCirenSnapper Posts: 102Member
    Wise words from spraynpray. I have spent lots of money on gear that was not quite good enough, then sold it and made a handsome loss! Any of the Really Right Stuff heads are just great. Just pick a size to suit your load. For landscape, I pushed the boat out this year and bought a geared Arca Swiss D4. It is a dreamy bit of kit - compact, precise and not too heavy - it will (and will have to at the price) last me for many, many years to come.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Do yourself a huge favour and pick up a Really Right Stuff head and then pat yourself on the shoulder for the next decade+ They are simply wonderful \:D/
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    The RRS 30mm ball head is light enough to match a series 1 gitzo and is strong with independent pan control.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

edited October 2015
    The RRS 30mm ball head is light enough to match a series 1 gitzo and is strong with independent pan control.
    I've been using the little BH-25 for years now and I love it's ultra light weight. It's been fine with Nikon's heavier lenses such as the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200. The BH-30 and 40 are probably the better bet for protik perhaps though. As for me, I try to keep the weight down outdoors and I have loved the sturdiness of the BH-25 so I just kept right on using her :x

By the way, RRS is a very classy company too, the service, communication, and shipping are all top notch. I've bought plates and brackets from them as well. I can't recommend them enough.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I also use and like the BH-25. It is strong enough, but has no independent pan control, which I like.

The BH-40 is my main ball head, light, and strong enough for '3' series Nikons.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• protikprotik Posts: 17Member
    edited October 2015
    The BH-30 and 40 are probably the better bet for protik perhaps though.
    I was actually comparing BH-40 to the Z1 after your initial post!

What clamp and plate do you guys use with the BH-40?
    Post edited by protik on
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    edited October 2015
    I think the Z1 is the best ball head I've used and the elliptical ball really works better. The only downside is the tiny panning knob. It's extremely smooth and the friction control is the best I've encountered, plus it handles weight well.

The BH-55 has a better panning knob but isn't as smooth, plus I miss the Z1's elliptical ball. The BH-25 is great of for the weight, but not in the same league. You might also want to look at the Markins Q3, for a bit less money and weight and yet good quality and excellent operation.

I prefer Arca Swiss knob releases on all my tripod heads, since I find they work better with rails.
    Post edited by pictureted on
    pictureted at flickr
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am a fan of some of the less expensive heads and this is an excellent one
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822264-REG/Sirui_BSRK30_K_30x_Ball_Head.html

Also, a fan of the ARCA Swiss mounts which make changing from horizontal to vertical a less than five second job.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ....not to mention the great advatage L brackets give for attaching accessories to the camera such as black rapid straps, flash brackets etc.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2015
    I am a fan of some of the less expensive heads and this is an excellent one
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822264-REG/Sirui_BSRK30_K_30x_Ball_Head.html

I would never go cheap on a head again after being in Angor Wat with a garbage head made by Markins. Both knobs became stripped with one seizing up and the other allowing the head to spin around. I ended up using a beenie bag for stabalization :(( This was back in 2008. Strangely enough my older brother's Markins did the same thing although he had his serviced and fixed, but then the same thing happend. I bought my little Really Right Stuff beauty in 2008 and have never looked back.

I have heard good things about ARCA Swiss, but I am married to Really Right Stuff now and would never change. I feel their products, (heads in particular) are perfect. Even slightly cheaper than ARCA too and made right in the States!
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    My experience at this time is the Sirui head is actually superior to the RRS, primarily in the methond of determining the drag adjustment. Quality wise it has an equal finish. The primary issue is whether one is willing to purchase items made off shore vs. in the USA.

I have a piece or two of RRS, absolutely find it to be first class. And, with RRS, I am of the opinion they make no por quality stuff. Some of the off shore products are very risky in that respect, but for sure, Sirui in my experience has been top shelf.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2015
    I too see no reason to pay top dollar for US made goods, not being American. I have no problem buying South Korean made Markin's products for example. They are well made, and my head has been trouble free for 4 years now.

The product I have is the equivalent of the BH-55 and cost half as much, it was a no brainer IMO.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited October 2015
    Just the mere mention of Markin's gives me bad flashbacks. I actually paid $300 for mine. They do sell well though so people like using them such as PB-PM. I definitely wouldn't go near one again not even as a free prize or if someone bought one for me for a present...
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    I'm surprised about the bad feedback above on Markins heads. My tripod is of the GT25xx range and I've been using two heads on it, one is a Markins that I've been using for years without any problems, including with a Wimberley Sidekick attached and a pro body + 200-400/4 (my heaviest combination). I've also used that Markins in bizarre positions for macro shots with the 105/2.8 and extension tubes, a pretty unbalanced setup as the 105 doesn't have a collar, and there no problems either.

I also have an RRS ballhead which is great, even better than the Markins, but is also a lot bulkier and heavier, therefore doesn't get as much use.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Markins ballheads are very reliable Mine is 5-6 years old and has seen scorching heat, pouring rain, extreme dryness and humidity. I wouldn't say it performs like new, but whenever it begins to move less smoothly, a small drop of WD-40 gives it a new lease on life.