Canon PowerShot G5 X & PowerShot G9 X

Arriving in late October, and Nikon answers with.......?

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited October 2015
    Why should they answer.
    How about the COOLPIX P900
    And the COOLPIX A.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • ccchuckccchuck Posts: 12Member
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    One is dumb, the other is dumber. Nikon already answered, it's called Nikon 1.
    coolpix 900 has a very small sensor, coolpix A no zoom, Nikon 1, which I own, maybe
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    You probably stick with your canon then and be happy :))
    wow, I'm really impressed with the "answers" here - being a Nikon guy since the nikkormat, owning 5 film , 4 digital ( not counting the Nikon 1 or my 7800), I was hoping Nikon might do something similar since my 7800 is showing its age, but now, I know simply to buy the competition. Such clarity, and so helpful. :-)

... and, oh, I am impressed with GX5.
    FWIW, the rumor is Nikon is going to do 1" compact, too, starting with the P7800 replacement and a big zooming bridge camera, so if you indeed are a die hard Nikonian, you should wait for that to come out. It's inevitable, everybody wants a piece of the 1" compact market, that's were the money is, as shown by Sony.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2015
    Looks like the Powershots are "replies" to the sony rx series .. Which nikon seems happy to just "say" Nikon1. Personally, I am keen on the J5 and looking forward to the expected V4. However, the the Samsung NX500 sure "mumbles" loudly in the corner..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2015
    :-) advert for the canon camera ..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

FWIW, the rumor is Nikon is going to do 1" compact, too, starting with the P7800 replacement ....
    We have all been hearing that for quite a while - I would really much prefer Nikon, but I would also "like to get on with it"... I waiting 'til DEC 1 (Xmas sales) then...

If I were you I'll get a J5 since you are already invested in the Nikon 1 system. You'll finally get IQ on par with Sony's 1" offerings while keeping both Nikon's color science, Nikon's better 12 bit RAW implementation (compared to Sony's, Canon's still better at full 14 bit), Nikon's arguably better menu design and Nikon 1's more effective PD AF (all others rely only on CD), and you'll be saving some $$$ (it's even cheaper than Canon's GX9), get 4K (sorta), a flippy-selfie screen and more controls. Most big sensor compact cameras suffer from dust collection on their sensors, something that is easy to deal with in an ILC.
    If I were you I'll get a J5...
    The J5 is a great camera, yeah here comes the BUT..., but no viewfinder - I don't "do" cameras without viewfinders, which is beginning to "cost" me I know... but (there's that word again...).

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If I were you I'll get a J5...
    The J5 is a great camera, yeah here comes the BUT..., but no viewfinder - I don't "do" cameras without viewfinders, which is beginning to "cost" me I know... but (there's that word again...).

+1 to cameras with no viewfinder. I feel like I have joined a huge herd of zombies when I hold a camera at arms length.
    Always learning.