Coolpix P900

2e0lib2e0lib Posts: 1Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon Compact Cameras
Hello my Name is John, new to the forum and have a question for any P900 owners. Does the lens barrel on your P900 have any movement in it when you tilt the camera up and down, mine has quite fair bit of play in it when zoomed midway, no play at all when zoomed fully in or out. I am concerned it may be faulty, the amount of play is probably an eight of an inch or so but a noticeable clunk as you tilt up and down with the weight transference. Is this normal? Thanks in advance. John.

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I don't own a P900, but any mass produced product is going to have some play to it. If you think about it, no screw is created perfectly, each screw is going to have tolerance differences. As long as the tolerance is within normal limits, e.g. a screw you made is supposed to be 1 mm and now it's .98 mm, you're probably going to be fine. Now multiply those tiny differences through a whole camera body, and you're going to have some play. But if you're making 1.5 mm screws, then we have a problem.

As long as your photography isn't affected, or it isn't taking photos, I think you'll be fine.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Just to expand a little on NSX's rudimentary explanation of manufacturing tolerances:

There is always a tolerance study done which assesses all the tolerances at worst case to ensure the function of the product is still fit for purpose so if you have a problem, it will be a fault rather than bad design (normally).

If I were you though, I would ask your service centre to check that it is OK before the warranty runs out.

Your point about the slop being worst at the middle may simply be that the lens is held firm against the end stops when all the way in or out.

No help maybe, but hope that helped a bit!
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    So, from another thread, alphadog had a comment, but it did not show up on my browser...
    Msmoto, mod
  • alphadogalphadog Posts: 8Member
    here's a sample of what the p900 can do. they're not in order, the one on top belongs on the bottom. All handheld, the closeup is about 1700mm. all taken from the same spot.
    and here's the beginning of the recent eclipse. about 1900mm, this was from a tripod. not bad for a point and shoot.
    and here's the bloodmoon just past the peak of the eclipse, from tripod, about 1800mm, using the moon scene setting in the camera.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Wow. Seems like a beast. Argh -now I have GAS starting up... :((
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I may have to have one to carry around for casual shots. The examples posted by alphadog are pretty impressive....
    Msmoto, mod