New Otus 28mm 1.4!

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
Wow a new $4,000 28mm 1.4 Otus is on the way! ZF .2 mount. I heard Zeiss discontinued most of their exisiting zf .2 lenses and it seems they are rolling with their Otus line only now. Obviously this is because of the high resolution sensors out now in the D800 line and Canon 5d bodies. Even the new D5 will demand higher end glass as well. I bet this lens is a serious stunner. It actually looks smaller than the 55 and 85 some how as well or is it just me?

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/10/14/zeiss-otus-1-428-lens-announced.aspx/

Comments

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    The Otus line has not become their only line.
    They just announced a new Milvus line of 6 lenses, too.
    For Sony, they have other lines ....

But it's pretty interesting to see Zeiss improve and progress, even in bad times.
    And Sigma, too, are expanding THEIR high end.
    And Tamron released two primes, adding to THEIR recent quality buildup.
    And Nikon, of course, are also strengthening their lens linup.
    Times are actually pretty good if you have money to spend on good glass.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Oh yes I dorgot about their Milvus line. I was a big fan of their ZF .2 lenses plenty sharp for my tastes. Zeiss glass is amazing...
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I've been pleased with both 100/2 and 50/2 makro planers from Zeiss. And 28mm is a real favorite focal length of mine, but at almost 3 pounds, sporting a 95mm filter thread (same as my 200-500/f.6), I don't think this will ever make it in my kit. I like 28mm for street shooting and landscapes and I think this would just be too big to bother with.
    pictureted at flickr
  • CirenSnapperCirenSnapper Posts: 102Member
    I'm a big fan as they suit the way I shoot landscapes (slowly, with manual focus and on a tripod). The quality is superb both in terms of results and the lenses themselves; they are pleasure to use. For me, the weight is not an issue, slung on my back my rucksack its all good. I understand that this is not for everyone but I do applaud Zeiss for pushing the boundaries of what is possible, optically speaking.
    I've been pleased with both 100/2 and 50/2 makro planers from Zeiss. And 28mm is a real favorite focal length of mine, but at almost 3 pounds, sporting a 95mm filter thread (same as my 200-500/f.6), I don't think this will ever make it in my kit. I like 28mm for street shooting and landscapes and I think this would just be too big to bother with.
    It looks fairly small judging by the picture posted online, smaller than the newer updated Nikkors that have been made lately I think.
    I'm a big fan as they suit the way I shoot landscapes (slowly, with manual focus and on a tripod). The quality is superb both in terms of results and the lenses themselves; they are pleasure to use. For me, the weight is not an issue, slung on my back my rucksack its all good. I understand that this is not for everyone but I do applaud Zeiss for pushing the boundaries of what is possible, optically speaking.
    I am with you, I love Zeiss glass for landscape shooting also. They are so well made too, I also love their Leica ZM mounted lenses :)

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    Fairly small.. certainly. If you go over to Ming Thein's blog, he has a picture of one mounted on a D800 body for comparison just how small it is...:-D
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I thought Ming mentioned that the 28 was about the same size as his 70-200/2.8.
    pictureted at flickr
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited October 2015
    It actually looks smaller than the 55 and 85 some how as well or is it just me?
    It is (you). Looks about the same size as a 24-70 to me? The thing needs a tripod mount as it is so heavy!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited October 2015
    Hummm looks shorter I think, but then I doubled checked the weight. Yup, it's pretty gross at nearly 1400g!!!

Here is Thein's Flickr image of the setup:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/21990935138/in/dateposted/
    Post edited by kanuck on
    I do fear that they may really make a 20mm f1.4 or f1.2 that is truly aberration-free because it would almost certainly mean divorce...
    Always learning.
  • esquiloesquilo Posts: 71Member
    I do fear that they may really make a 20mm f1.4 or f1.2 that is truly aberration-free because it would almost certainly mean divorce...
    For the Nikon1-system, maybe.
    For full frame? Your wife should not worry. ;-)
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    Nikon1 J3 with 10-30 mm and 10 mm f/2.8
    It would be a difficult decision! >:)
    Always learning.
    Now that the new Nikkor 24-70 is in a few stores and is readily shipping I am reading multiple comments by people saying they wish it was a 2.5 or F2 lens. Can you imagine? It would be 4 grand then easily. People also continue to say they are disappointed with the sharpness of the images they are seeing online. A bit off topic now, but I figured I would add that here seeing as how this new Otus 28 is the same size nearly as the new 24-70 VR :-S