How to do a selfie with any SLR

I'm right now "in between DSLRs", having sold my D7100 to be ready for the next great Nikon body deal (hopefully a D5300 or a D7200). So what better time than now to burn some rolls with my Fs? Went out with the kids and the wife to the coast walk with my "Apollo" F w/FTn, my 85mm f/2 AI-S and my 28mm f/2.8 AI-S. Oh what a great, HUGE viewfinder! Can't spray'n pray, film and their development are not free. Exposure, focus, posing, everything has to be done deftly with purpose before the "click-clack". My kids hate that. Then I notice that everybody around me are doing selfies with their smart phones, even my wife! And I'm not in any of the pictures I'm taking with the F! What to do? Using my smart phone to do a selfie wouldn't cut it for me, so I try with my F and the 28mm but I can't see my reflection clearly on the front element the way I could with the 10-24mm. Darn it, I don't want to be left out of the fun! Eureka! I can point my smart phone's front camera on the F's viewfinder and then compose with the live view image on the smart phone's screen! Both the contraption and I look awkward, but it gets the job done, yippee! Now I have to wait a full week for the lab to develop my roll and hand me prints. Will let you know then how the selfies came out...

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    LOL !
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Selfies are the truest display of all that is wrong with the world today, just skip the process and move on with your life.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    I think this guy is trolling
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    Then I notice that everybody around me are doing selfies with their smart phones
    Why would you too want to do such a stupid thing? To be just like the others in the masses?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2015
    LOL its funny.. I did that once ... took a phone photo of the image from the viewfinder .. good idea cameraquest !!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    I am reminded of the "olden days" of compact 35mm film cameras where people often managed to take selfies, albeit inadvertently, of their right ear.
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    :)) Sounds like it's time for a D5500
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    The prints are back and they don't look half bad! Got focusing off a bit, completely my fault, with me out of focus but my wife and kids just behind me sharply focused, but got composition they way I wanted and got the horizon straight. So definitively one more tool in the camera bag, or rather in my pocket!

I am immensely surprised by the reaction this post has provoked on all of you so far. They were 100+ views of the OP through 5 whole days before the first response came from heartyfisher who seems to wholeheartedly embrace the most important point I was trying to make on my OP, and that is that selfies, silly as might be, can be really fun, especially with loved ones, or a must as in my case when there is nobody around I can trust my camera to or there is no other way to set down the camera to take a picture with me on it. From all the views this post has had, I take that many of you are interested at least in how to do it with a camera that designed for more "professional" use. ;)

Like I said, another tool in the pocket!
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    From all the views this post has had, I take that many of you are interested at least in how to do it with a camera that designed for more "professional" use.
    I'm afraid you are quite mistaken as to what people are interested in in this topic, but never mind...
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Not long ago I thought selfie sticks were a joke (as in not real) then I saw three at a store at the airport. To be in a photo with the wife and kids I think is great but to hold a camera out in front of you a take photo after photo day after day of yourself as I see many people do, just look at facebook. That does not do it for me.