Camera Control pro 2 crashes with Mac El Capitan OS 10.11

DickSjDickSj Posts: 3Member
I upgraded my studio's 27 inch iMac to El Capitan - OS 10.11 - yesterday. Today I had a studio shoot and the Camera Control Pro 2 software could not find my tethered Nikon D800 - - it has always worked before. I also tried my MacBook Pro that is also upgraded to El Capitan -- and the Camera Control Pro 2 there could also not find an attached camera.

It made for a horrible studio session today and I looked like a fool as I shot onto a camera card and then had to download image after image into the studio computer ..... I tried to upgrade the Camera Control Pro 2 software from Nikon -- and the download program hangs and crashes.

MY Warning -- DO NOT instal El Capitan if you want to shoot tethered with Camera Control Pro 2 ....

Nikon has had months and months to get ready for this new OS ..... and they have accomplished nothing.

From Nikon:

"We plan to examine OS X 10.11 “El Capitan” compatibility for the software applications listed below. We will announce our findings once testing is complete. We cannot guarantee the compatibility of these applications with OS X 10.11 “El Capitan” until we have completed testing.

- Capture NX-D
- ViewNX-i (including Movie Editor View-Movie Editor)
- Picture Control Utility 2
- Nikon Message Center 2
- Camera Control Pro 2..."

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Yes, this is well known, and NR had it on the main page:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2015/10/05/nikons-software-compatibility-with-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan.aspx/

I never upgrade the OS without checking for Application compatibility first, or I do it on one machine and check it out, but I leave my work machine, well err, working and sort any issues first before hitting that one. I bet it will be several weeks before Nikon has a fix, or it may end up being a bug in El Cap, we don't know. There is a 10.11.1 release already in the works. Generally, unless you need some new functionality, and that need outweighs the risks that you always take on a first release, I would wait until the second or third release (10.11.2) before upgrading.

Just out of curiosity, why did you upgrade? Because Apple offered it? Of course they want as many early adopters as possible so they can find and fix all the bugs they missed in the first iteration.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Works fine with CamRanger and CR is far better than CCP2 and I have used both.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • DickSjDickSj Posts: 3Member
    I upgraded the office iMac to take advantage of improvements in Spotlight and the Mail programs. Then I did one of the big Mac Pro computers and checked Photoshop and the Epson printer programs. That went well, also, so I did the other Mac Pro computer and then my MacBook Pro. No problems - so I did the 27 inch iMac in the shooting studio ..... Bingo ---- the Nikon software crashed ..... to date, only the Nikon Software has failed with El Capitan.

Again - I repeat - Nikon has had this OS available for months ..... and they have done nothing to get ready .........
  • DickSjDickSj Posts: 3Member
    I upgraded my studio's 27 inch iMac to El Capitan - OS 10.11 - yesterday. Today I had a studio shoot and the Camera Control Pro 2 software could not find my tethered Nikon D800 - - it has always worked before. I also tried my MacBook Pro that is also upgraded to El Capitan -- and the Camera Control Pro 2 there could also not find an attached camera.

10-21-15
    Apple updated El Capitan to OS 10.11.1 ---- but Camera Control Pro 2 still cannot find my Nikon D800.

I'm still waiting for Nikon to update their software ......

Do NOT update to El Capitan if you use Nikon software .....
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Apple significantly changed the way that USB devices are accessed in El Crap. I support around 10K macs, and many USB devices (DACs, tablets, mice, drives) are not working. There are several fix/workarounds depending on the situation. Also Apple made several "fixes" to USB across the various El Cap beta releases. It's possible that Nikon had it working in an early beta and thought they were good, only to be foiled by Apple's infinite wizdom. Or Nikon software dudes are lame. Either way, it is going to take another release or two from Apple to ultimately fix all of this stuff.

Have you reached out to Nikon support and filed a ticket?
  • PIP1924PIP1924 Posts: 2Member
    Cant believe Apple released this program before checking the ramifications of its customers using Nikon software, I have a D800 & luckily enough I still have my old iMac in the loft so able to download the images on this then save to external hard drive to then access on new iMac. really disapointed with Apple right now!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2015
    It's not Apple's reasonability to make sure the software works, it's Nikon's. Developer builds are available 4 months before the software is sent to customers, if the developer (Nikon) cannot be bothered to make sure their software is updated to work with the new OS, it's not Apple's fault.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited November 2015
    I have no problems with the new El Capitan but I don't use Nikon software any more Nik, OnOne 10, Topaz and DXO, Machun have no problems, However I removed Photoshop CC 2015 and use PH CC 2014. The older system works fine with Plug-Ins unlike the 2015 version.
    Post edited by paulr on
  • mpphotompphoto Posts: 4Member
    This is nothing new. I've been using CCPro for years and I never expect CCpro to work when a new OS is released. I have seen months go by before CCpro is compatible with a new Mac OS. For software that costs $180 you would think they would have an update ready to coincide with the OS release, but I know better now. I like CCpro when it works, but there is no competition for Mac users. The Canon app is free, but I don't know a thing about it. It would be shameful if it is maintained better than the high-priced Nikon app.
    Camranger works with Mac and offers better control. CCP2 is old software and Nikon should either ditch it, or redesign it completely.
  • mpphotompphoto Posts: 4Member
    Thanks paulr. I'm going to look into Camranger right now.
  • imagemachineimagemachine Posts: 8Member
    I've had this problem with a new Macbook pro. Switched to Capture one for tether now which seems to work very well. I kind of shows what Nikon think of their customers really. You would think the last thing a manufacturer would want is for their customers look elsewhere for solutions. Meh! Nikon don't really do customer support though. Apparently Canons work extremely well with Capture One as well...