Beware if you buy a Nissin i40 Speedlight

I contacted Nissin UK re the use of an i40 on a D810.....If I am lucky and get one with the latest software thats fine but if I dont I can send it back and they will charge me $30 to re programme it ..brilliant not....

Iwould like to hear from you if you have an i40 on your D810 did it work out the box?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have to say that sux. They want to charge you for making their flash do what it should have? #-o

I suppose that has to mean that the D810 came out after the i40 so they feel justified in charging for the service. Not great customer service though is it. I mean, how many D810 owners are there that want to use an i40?
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I considered this flash when I tried the fujifilm for TTL and its size.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well I chalenged them on this and they said if I purchased from them (Kenro) they would do it for free.......so the one from Lithuania at £126 is out then ...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It looks like it is cheaper to buy it from them and have no problems with the prices I am seeing?
    Always learning.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Thanks for posting this one. I have one that I bought to use with a Fuji compact, and frankly it would never have occurred to me that it would now work with the D810 without an update.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I have been using a Nissin i40 on a Nikon D5100, and in response to this thread, just tried it on my D810, no problems in ittl mode either direct or bounce. Mine may be recent (about 8 months old) enough to have current firmware. I bought it (like everything else) from B & H.

I am huge fan of Nissin and the i40 in particular. It is the best travel flash I have seen by a wide margin, and I bought i40's for Nikon, Fuji (X series), and Sony (A7II).

If I was not buried in SB800's and 900's I would try their bigger units.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Thanks haroldp ..just what I wanted ..it seems Kenro are the importers and one of the distributers is Amazon who also have a very good price..so if I go that way it would mean I could send it to Kenro if I have a problem.