Windows 10

Comments

• niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    @spraynpray - as per my post from July, nVidea drivers have had issues with Windows 10 - so it sounds like they are still not fixed.

I have now stripped my one Windows 10 system of all the crapware possible - as well as removed a dozen or so attempts by MS to sneak similar functionality into Windows 7. So far, so good - but it is a sad indictment of my trust in Microsoft that I have now disabled automatic updates and research each patch before applying it.

Windows 7 is good until January 2020 - so hopefully by then Ubuntu 20.04 will be a solid replacement!

J
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited December 2015
    10 went in 10 went out,
    10 went in 10 went out,
    you shake all about
    do the hokie pokie
    you turn yourself around
    feel better?

No joke it's been in and out of several systems. I'm back with 7, 10 missing too much unless you setup an account and play their game. I don't want cloud computing.

framer
    Post edited by framer on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @niemeyjt: If I thought I could get my win 8.1/now Win 10 machine to work as fast on Win 7 as it does on Win 10, I would put 7 on it. What are you saying - is that what you did?
    Always learning.
    I've been speaking to a guy about this and he says it is unlikely that I could get the drivers for the latest devices to work on Win 7. If it was an older machine, it would be possible.

Meantime, apparently there is a free download called 'Classic Shell which gives Win 10 a more classic Win 7 look. I'll probably try it as it can be de-installed if no good. The same guy also recommended a free MS download called Windows live mail which give the bonus of off-line availability of one's emails.
    Always learning.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm looking into the Master Windows Pro DVD that allows from Win7 to Win10 to be installed. I hate this laptop with Win10 more by the day. It will pick and choose which .pdf it wants to open with AAR. If it's not one thing it's 10 others. The problem I'm afraid of if I revert is will the firmware and hardware work with Win7 drivers. It was designed from the ground up for Win10 and still is a PIA. One thing I can do to shut MS down from being a peeping Tom is to take it off line and use it for the slide shows only. Beating MS at their own game does have at least a satisfaction reward.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Sooo frustrated with all our privacy going down the drain. What is more annoying is that one is not even aware how much we are giving away. You turn one setting off, there are still 10 others working streamlining your every keyboard move to MS. I read somewhere that even if you are the geekest of geeks, you couldn't totally stop what Windows10 was doing on behind you.

Not Windows10 related but something you may find intereresting ... Some friends were flying in from Europe to stay with us. An airplane icon appeared on top of wife's Samsung phone. Clicked it and it said such'n such flight is delayed for 40 minutes. None of us in the house had checked airport arrival times for that flight nor added anything about it to our calendars. So how on earth did the Android know our friends were on that delayed flight ?

Turns out our friends sent us an email a couple of months ago with their flight details/ numbers ... Gmail apparently has such a feature - reading through itineraries @-) !
    @FreezeAction: It was also my intention to run my laptop off-line to stop updates from killing it slowly but with Win 10 if I did that I would be condemning myself to a useless piece of junk OS forever. Plus my hooky copies of LR5 and PSCC didn't work so I had to subscribe to the CC and therefore would need to connect occasionally.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As a Mac OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan user, I usually do not get near a PC. But to program my Ham Radio, Yaesu FT8900R, I had to have a PC, and it runs Windows 10. But, without any mail, also using Freeware for many of the Apps.

Seems the more features I have on a computer, the more I think someone is in the shower with me....LOL

Oh, yes, El Capitan on the Mac..... now I cannot find the full Exif data on my photo viewing program Preview. No ISO is shown......who knows?
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The only reason to keep MS is current new gaming and using PS or LR. All my servers and business workstations are Linux based and IMHO I like working with them far better than MS. If PS became fully compatible with a Linux distro, MS would be history on all my computers.

framer
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    If Linux is based on Unix and Mac OS are now based on Unix why in the tarnation can't we have lightroom and photoshop for Linux? Oh I know. It must be one of the golf course decisions.... Now it's time to return the normal broadcast of Win10...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2015
    Mac OS X has a base of Open BSD (A fork of Unix), but that is under the hood. The coding language for the user interface and applications are totally different than what you find in Linux distro.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    @msmoto

I am on yosemite 10.10.1 .

It sounds like I should let El Capitan cook a little longer.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    @spraynpray - sadly, on my Dell Tablet, installing Windows 7 is complicated - so for that I have left it at 10 - but minus the crapware.

I do have a Dell Windows 7 Pro build that installs on any Dell without requiring a key, even those originally shipped with Windows 8 (it uses the SLIC), which is useful as I have swapped out a number of disks.

Interestingly, Windows 7 can still be sold by Dell - the end of sales is October 31, 2016 (same as Windows 8.1) - and I have had no drivers issues although my systems are not the very latest.

As for speed - I do not know whether my Windows 7 systems are significantly slower than a Windows 10 install would be. I guess it would be due to the tweaking and patching that is added to the base build to bring it up to date.
  • epthomasepthomas Posts: 3Member
    I have just upgraded a laptop and a desktop from win 7 to windows 10. Seems fast and the upgrade was very easy.
    @epthomas: How do you find the mail app? Also I am unable to use twin screens with my laptop, Xrite's advanced calibration process doesn't work right and the second screen doesn't render correctly consistently. Grrr!
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @haroldp

I can get the Exif on my iPhone 6 Plus, so, I suspect I do not need to examine it on my Macbook at present.... as to letting El Capitan cook a bit longer.....agree
    Msmoto, mod
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Upgraded the desk top from 7 to Windows 10. Have Windows 8 on the laptop - hate it. Windows 10 somewhat better but...... can't access my back up drive, Norton browser protection won't work with Edge, Blackberrry Q10 won't link with it, and now can't find all my MS Word files - even though the icons are there - the new File Explorer widget says they have been moved or renamed but no amount of searching will open them. What a dog of an operating system.Only three things that do work are Lightroom, Photoshop and the Nikon DF link for uploading photos. So back to Windows 7.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Don't worry you're safer if Norton crapware isn't working. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited December 2015
    @haroldp

I can get the Exif on my iPhone 6 Plus, so, I suspect I do not need to examine it on my Macbook at present.... as to letting El Capitan cook a bit longer.....agree
    @Msmoto, a bit off topic but here is how I do it: Preview -> Show Inspector (command-i)
    A window called "more info" should pop up, in there click on the "i" with a circle tab at the top. You will see "Exif" and "Nikon" and lots of other goodies there. LMK if this helps. What app are you using for exif on the iPhone?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    The win 10 update that was supposed to fix all the issues arrived at last (you know, the one they screwed-up, pulled for a weekend then re-issued). It has helped, but the mail app is only partially fixed. I can add a hotmail.com and gmail address and now get the right addresses attached to the right in-boxes so when I reply to my hotmail emails my reply is from the hotmail.com account. Whoopee, progress. Trouble is, I still can't add a hotmail.co.uk address to it as well either as a hotmail or 'other' account type. What a pain. I am committed to a new machine which there are probably no Win 7 drivers for so my choice is Win 8 or 10. I hate 8 and even if 10 worked I wouldn't like it. I'm gonna try classic shell and see what happens.
    Always learning.
  • Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    Back on Windows 7 after restore and can now access all the devices again, except for the Nikon DF - now where did I put the Nikon software disc? :((
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    All of Nikon's software is available for download.
  • MDGxMDGx Posts: 5Member
    If you're running Windows 7 SP1, or 8, or 8.1 you can avoid the mandatory upgrade to Windows 10 [after January 1, 2016 your OS will be upgraded automatically by M$ to Windows 10], and restore privacy, so anything you do in Windows 7/8/8.1/10 won't "phone home" to Micro$oft servers anymore.
    Info:
    http://www.mdgx.com/xptoy.htm#10BLK
    ReadMe Guide:
    http://www.mdgx.com/files/10_BLOCK.php
    File [25 KB, free, open source]:
    http://www.mdgx.com/files/10_BLOCK.ZIP
    Enjoy. ;)

Photo Gear: http://www.mdgx.com/pc.htm#DSLR
    Photos: http://plus.google.com/117433720600028510034
    'Mandatory upgrade'? They can't do that can they? As I understand it 7 is being supported until nearly 2020 which would not be necessary if they forced everybody into an upgrade.
    Always learning.
  • epthomasepthomas Posts: 3Member
    @epthomas: How do you find the mail app? Also I am unable to use twin screens with my laptop, Xrite's advanced calibration process doesn't work right and the second screen doesn't render correctly consistently. Grrr!
    I haven't even tried the Win 10 mail app as I just access Outlook.com through Firefox. Also, I onlt have 1 monitor with this PC.