How do you carry your bodies and lenses?

Just looking at options as my new lens has arrived and my son wants my current bag, so thought first I would bounce it off people here. How to you carry your cameras and lenses around - what bags / cases do you recommend (or not) esp if flying.

Do you store lenses loose or do you keep them in the little pouches and put the pouches in a bigger case? Or do you use a tougher individual lens case? Or a combination.

Thanks,

J

Comments

• AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    edited December 2015
    When I am "in the field", I always have one camera across my chest locked and loaded with what I think will be used most. Across the other shoulder is a small, ancient leather/canvas bag my father used when hiking Nepal (these things matter, always good to consider sons!). I'll throw in whatever I need–lens(es), flash, maybe even a second body–and I'm good to go. I am never one to worry about bumping my gear into stuff, and I want the fastest access possible. In other words: I avoid the larger, modern bags for field use as much as possible. They are cumbersome.

For when I really need to move a lot of gear around, I use that mentioned rig with a big Tamrac backpack on top. They are fantastic, comfortable, supportive, and mine fits my long lens with an attached TC–all while allowing me to still have access to my gear on my shoulder. I don't remember the exact line, but I will use that if I have to walk any serious distance or travel provided the plane is large enough to carry it on. I have had to curb check it many times in the past and have never had a single problem. It also holds enough gear otherwise–like a mono or small tripod–to have many field needs covered if necessary, and was once my primary storage space. It and the board I will mention next have supportive straps so they sit open at 90º, which I love.

At the same time, I also have a Tamrac 5551 roller board that works for both easy–i.e. simple/carry on–airline travel and regular storage (but not of my long lens). It fits a ton of gear as well as a laptop and its bottom and side protection is excellent. That said, it isn't the most industrial strength thing in the world as I can not trust the protection of the front/opening flap. I would never check it without doing a lot of custom padding, and even then...

My recommendation: Don't focus on bags for field use. If I need any sort of advanced bag for storing a lot of gear and hauling between shoots, I go with Tamrac because the quality is there–I'm a big fan. Head over to their site, find one that meets the specs for you, your usage, and your gear, and you wont be disappointed. If you are looking at something to check that can't be destroyed even by hellfire, get a Pelican and move on with your life.
    Post edited by AmericanLoonie on
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I have a lowpro AWII or something like that (I forget the specific one without looking at it).

My main camera is on a rapid sling strap so I have it at a moments notice, The second camera and extra lenses are in the backpack.

If I am bringing the Mamiya with me, The Mamiya is locked in a Pelican case and either I or my assistant carries the Pelican case.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    Sometime ago there was a post here showing a dual holster type chest carrier for quick draws.... Anyone remember it... I'd sure like the info on it now.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2015
    Bags Lenses what a load of rubbish ..Home made neoprene shoulder harness..( two standard straps and a piece across the back )I have one camea (28-300+ 14mm) and lens on each shoulder each fitted with a SB400 one grip has a spare cam battery and the other some AA thats it ...Bags ,Primes,tripods forget it . If you need any more keep it in a box chained down in the trunk of your car fitted with a tracker..KISS
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    What gear do you have and how much do you want to be able to carry around at once?

My current go-to bag for family outings and general use is a Lowepro Format 160. It's super light weight, comfortable to carry around, and big enough to fit my D7100 with 18-140 attached plus 85 1.8 (or two smaller primes like the 35 1.8 DX and 50 1.8) and SB-700 flash. It has internal dividers so things don't bang against each other. The only thing I don't like is that the top can sometimes be annoying to open because it zips inward instead of outward.

For times when I want to travel super-light, I have an even smaller Lowepro (which was a freebee with the camera incidentally) that just fits the camera and one attached lens.

I also have a ThinkTank Photo Speed Freak which I usually use when I travel since it fits more gear, and the top opening is really nice, but it's just too heavy and bulky to use on a regular basis, and the shoulder strap hurts my shoulders so the belt strap is a must.

The problem with the individual lens cases (the hook to your belt kind) is that you either have to get a bigger one that fits all your lenses, or multiple smaller ones for each lens, and in the end you end up with something just as bulky as a bag. I suppose if you planned on carrying your camera lose all the time and just needed a place to store an extra lens this could be more compact, but I like to be able to store my camera in the bag when not in use and just have a single tidy solution.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I started with a Tamarac shoulder bag and love it. However I outgrew it and now use a think tank belt system. I really like it when I am not in a crowd or cramped for space to move. I use a boss strap on my camera. Really like it. When I add a second camera I will about have outgrown the belt if I need to take much with me. The second camera will mean 4th bag on the belt and may just be to much. I am looking for a back pack that will hold the belt system so I can just pull it, or part of it, out and leave the rest on my back in crowds or use leave it all in the back pack for travel.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    Lowepro Hatchback AW16
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    Went from Domke's (loved the old F1) to Think Tank (not enough padding in City walker and the rubber pads on the shoulder strap peel off) and am now using Billingham (Hadley Pro). I can get my D810 (no L-Bracket) with lens attached (usually a 24-85VR or Zeiss 50 or 100 Makro) , 70-200/4, 16-35 (or 20/1.8 and 28/1.8), spare batteries and cards. The bag is waterproof (without additional cover), slim in crowds, silent in opening, protective and beautiful. Expensive, but better IMHO - sorry I waited to buy it. I've now budgeted a slightly larger Billingham (when I want the L-Bracket and one more lens or an SB-910).
    pictureted at flickr
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    It depends on my situation.

Walking around doing street shots -- I usually use a Peak Design Clutch hand strap.

Day trip and I might want a second lens and a few accessories -- I use a Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home

Vacation where I may want most or all my lenses -- I use an Amazon Basics camera/laptop backpack.

I also have a Peak Design Slide strap for when I want a cross-body strap.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Carrying systems and bags are some of the items most people underestimate when they first start out in photography. I went the long way around, and have owned pretty much all the brands at one time or another...

For permanent storage and traveling, I have two Peli 1510s, with Trekpak for division.

As backpack I have settled on the LowePro Flipside 500AW. It is big, and can haul a lot of stuff, including two professional houses, several lenses, an iPad, sweater and lunch.

For just the camera I use the BlackRapid Sport. I have RRS L-Plates on my cameras, and RRS plates on my long lenses. I also have the LowePro Professional Harness with lens bags and a TopLoader 70AW, but use it rarely.

Finally I have the Peak Design Capture Pro clip, for the belt and/or backpack strap. Usually I use that for a second house.

Like I said, I went the long way around to that setup, meaning I had Tamracs, Think Tank, as well as smaller LowePro bags, and I wish I knew then what I know today. Then I wouldn't have a small fortune in bags stored away in the basement...
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    There is a killer deal on the think tank retrospective 10 at adorama for 50 bucks right now... I sadly already have this and paid more money, but it is an amazing bag if anyone is interested in a nice bag at less than half retail price
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Then Tenba DNA bags are nice bags. Nice padding and the pockets on the flip cover are a plus.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have such a different set up for each shoot, there is no one way to do it. Usually, the big gun is in a huge Tenba which holds a 400/2.8. One each side are the D4 and D800E bodies, plus possibly some short lenses. Other wise I carry something similar to this Lowepro
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855681-REG/Lowepro_LP36424_PWW_Flipside_Sport_15L_AW.html
    Msmoto, mod
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Does anyone know if the Lowepro and the Think Tank belt systems are compatible?
    It looks like there may be parts that could be used with each other. It is a long drive to the nearest camera shop and they may not have both so I can compare.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2015
    @retread

While I cannot comment on the Lowepro/Think Tank issue, I have used various straps and connectors from a good outfitter store, and fabricated whatever is required to adapt various components together .... Also, one can create custom camera straps, specifically for a particular project and usually this is very low cost compared to other ready made straps.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod