Nikon d810 in dx crop mode

Comments

• RocklandDragonRocklandDragon Posts: 12Member
    edited August 2014
    The d700 is the camera I will try first. Then I'll try the d810. I never knew about the qualities of the 700 and how similar it was to the D3. When I started looking at cameras, the d800 was already out.

Post edited by RocklandDragon on
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    The rumored D750 maybe something to hold out for. If I do the math correctly, the FPS could be 8-9fps with the new processor. The FX sensor may also push enough IQ for you to shoot jpegs as well. I know with my D800 in decent light I can easily shoot Jpegs for sports.

One thing about going back to a 12 mp sensor is that you have less room to crop before the IQ starts to drop. Just something to consider.

Another thing to consider is that if your buffer is filling at 6 shots with raw, then shooting jpeg you would get around 30 shots. It's better to get the shot, then to force the highest output and pray you get one. Most news sports shooters I have ever met still shoot jpeg for this reason.

The memory card used makes a huge difference with clearing the buffer. Most Sandisk Extreme cards are 45mb/s - the pro versions are 95mb/s+. If your raw files are around 20mb each, you can clear over twice as many out of your buffer using the fast cards. That keeps the camera at least firing 3-4FPS when it does start to bog down.
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    I have a naive question. If you shoot with 24mm f1.4 in DX crop mode on a FF body the field of view is equivalent to 36mm. Right? But what about the aperture? Is it 1.4*1.5=2.1 equivalent or it 'stays' 1.4 in crop mode. Apart from the 'loss' of megapixels that I don't care could a 24mm 1.4G in 1.2x and 1.5x crop modes substitute a 28mm and a 35mm prime lenses?
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    The 24 mm f 1.4 will stay f 1.4 in crop mode
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2014
    Aperture is aperture and changes only if the optics change, i.e., with use of a teleconverter or one of those strange things which shortens the focal length optically. Teleconverters will make the effective f/stop smaller (larger number) and the other optical accessories which shorten the focal length make the f/stop larger (smaller number).

The size of the sensor has no effect on the optics. We think in terms of a DX being a 1.5 magnification factor, but remember, this is simply limiting the area of the sensor which records an image when a full frame is used in crop mode.

I rather like the idea of using a high pixel count sensor, such as the D8XX Nikons, in DX mode as the file size is considerably reduced and I have a "pro" body in DX format.

Oh, there are no naive questions, only those that are not asked. We all started at the same point on this forum, some of us have been able to learn a heck of a lot by listening to others.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I read some opinion if you shoot a FX lens in crop mode, the DoF (meaning that area of some kind of sharpness outside the focus plane) will increase ny multiplying it with the crop factor. Personally, I still find that absurd. Given the same pixel pitch, DoF and aperture can't be multiplied. But I'm open to convincing proof of the opposite.
    One problem in discussion of all these things like DOF is that we rarely actually define the variables in making an attempt to do a valid comparison. I think the idea of the DOF changing again goes back to the fact that simply changing the area of a sensor we actually use does not change anything except image area. This is no different than cropping in post production which of course, does not change DOF. The distinct advantage of shooting in crop mode appears IMO to be the file size.
    Msmoto, mod
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    Many thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the DoF actually. Obviously when the distance from the subject is the same the DoF is the same for the crop mode of the FX lens and only the FoV different. If you had a longer lens with the same aperture at the same distance from the subject the DoF would be shorter. It makes sense. Thanks again all.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2014
    I But I'm open to convincing proof of the opposite.
    As Msmoto says we rarely actually define the variables in making an attempt to do a valid comparison -

so set your own variables and try things for yourself

at the end of the day

you usually want a lot of dof, so you stop down
    or
    you want to isolate the subject and shoot wide open

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2014
    Many thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the DoF actually. Obviously when the distance from the subject is the same the DoF is the same for the crop mode of the FX lens and only the FoV different. If you had a longer lens with the same aperture at the same distance from the subject the DoF would be shorter. It makes sense. Thanks again all.
    No.

We have had DOF threads that has gone pages and pages... have a look there..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Or go to DoFmaster, key in fixed parameters and change from 1.5 crop to full frame. Guess what? With the parameters I typed in the FX dof of .79 meters went to 1.18 meters or near enough 1.5 X FX
    Always learning.
  • Sherm27tSherm27t Posts: 1Member
    I have looked at this, and have found no difference other than the cropping. The bokeh is the same also. I think the cam is taking a full frame shot cropping it in cam, as you would in post and writing it. So if you can't fill the frame anyway in Fx, use the crop there is no loss of anything.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I think, when I got my D810 and I was setting up the camera, I tried the crop mode to see how it works and then never touched it again. For me, purchasing a D810 did not include disabling it's resolution. If that is what I wanted, I would have kept shooting at 12mp and not purchased the new body.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    There are a few things that the D810 in dx mode can give you. Some people may want it for those features.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Crop mode....useful to reduce file size....cannot see what use it has other than this.....

However, I would prefer to have a camera with a 4:5 ratio vs. 2;3. I find the extra horizontal is useful for landscapes, group shots, but for the most part i prefer the 4:5 format. Do I shoot my full frame Nikons in this format....no, probably because what i see in the finder I expect to haver recorded. Maybe if the viewfinder changed to the correct format, something we will see on the future EVF's, I would switch to all 4:5 format. If Nikon made a 4:5 sensor of 25.8 mm x 33.5 mm we would have the same number of pixels, yet a more useable format.... purely IMO This format would be easily covered by all full frame lenses as well (43.2mm diagonal on 2:3, 42.3mm diagonal on 4:5)

Oh well, to each his own....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2015
    "Crop mode....useful to reduce file size"
    There are more features than that in the D810 dx crop mode :-)
    Forum! lets list them !

I challenge you !!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Superior AF point coverage for one?
    Always learning.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Crop mode increases frame rate on D800 /810.

If I am at 800mm and already below DX frame coverage of the birdies, and cannot get closer, I will switch to DX mode. I have a function key dedicated for this.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

When I am at 800mm.....different body, but even then, I have a lot of struggle to just get the entire BIF in the frame......LOL
    Msmoto, mod
    If it is even close to DX size coverage, I will shoot at FX and crop later, but sometimes it is not.

I have done and still do a lot of Leica work and am comfortable with frame lines.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

• PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Thinking mostly of of birds/wildlife ...

2. Always using the centre of lens ( which may or may not be the case when one frames using FF ); therefore, better image quality.

3. Viewing the object closer/more in detail so more precise focusing and exposure metering ...
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

2. Always using the centre of lens ( which may or may not be the case when one frames using FF ); therefore, better image quality.

3. Viewing the object closer/more in detail so more precise focusing and exposure metering ...
    While the increase in fps, using the center of lenses, better AF coverage, etc. are all great, I find that less cropping in post and smaller file sizes are the biggest benefits. If you don't need the extra pixels, its more convenient not to have to deal with them.

I would love to have a further crop mode on the 810 besides the various ones between FF and 1.5x DX. How about a micro four-thirds mode? Same thing for the D7K series: how about a CX 1" mode in addition to the 1.3x MFT mode? I would be willing to pay a small amount of money for a firmware update to bring those additional crop modes to these cameras if Nikon is not generous enough (like Fuji or Samsung) to give it to us for free.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

While the increase in fps, using the center of lenses, better AF coverage, etc. are all great, I find that less cropping in post and smaller file sizes are the biggest benefits. If you don't need the extra pixels, its more convenient not to have to deal with them.

I would love to have a further crop mode on the 810 besides the various ones between FF and 1.5x DX. How about a micro four-thirds mode? Same thing for the D7K series: how about a CX 1" mode in addition to the 1.3x MFT mode? I would be willing to pay a small amount of money for a firmware update to bring those additional crop modes to these cameras if Nikon is not generous enough (like Fuji or Samsung) to give it to us for free.
    I doubt that the frame rate will increase. All this just for a smaller file size. What if you muck up the once in a lifetime shot on a BIF because he clip the wingtip?

I doubt that the frame rate will increase. All this just for a smaller file size. What if you muck up the once in a lifetime shot on a BIF because he clip the wingtip?

The frame rate on a D800 or D810 absolutely increases, check the manual.

... H

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

The frame rate on a D800 or D810 absolutely increases, check the manual.

... H

Sure, going from FX to DX. However, this discussion is about going beyond DX. While the file size is smaller certainly, the shutter has design limitations and can only go so fast. I imagine that the shutter would have to be redesigned.