D800/D600 autofocus problems

GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi, I have been pondering between the D600 and D800 purchase, the weight currently being on the D800.

However, I have read some really nasty things about AF problems especially with the fastest lenses. As usually, I try to take these things with a grain of salt, but this issue makes me really worried:

1) phase detect is hit and miss with fast glass (somehow this has been avoided on the C side of the fence)

2) now I read some folks having issues with contrast detect AF as well

So, what´s your experience ? (please mention lens and aperture used and subject distance)

Post edited by Godless on

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2013
    I have had a D800 since they came out
    I don't shoot video or use live view
    I tend to have it set to AUTO S most of time ( It also seems to do a better job in AUTO C, than me using S C)
    I use the 16-35 f4; the 24 -120 f4; the 70- 200 f 2.8 and 105 macro f2.8
    it is much much better than the D700 and if a different class to my old D90
    I did shoot a dance in virtual darkness with a hired 24 f1.4 and it did struggle, but it was very very dark with disco lights shining into the lens
    It is a fabulous camera . there is no need to bracket, the exposure is always spot on, regardless of the conditions
    I tend to use auto ISO with auto shutter speed set 2 clicks fast
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I have not seen any issues - and I have 20 lenses and have used them all on the D800. Not a single issue.

Being able to focus down to F8 and the new metering system I think is worth it for the D800. The huge files sizes also allow generous cropping as well. The only limitation I have is the FPS but I almost never need more than 1 shot per second anyway. I have not seen any real difference in Low light performance, until you start cropping, then the detail of the D800 wins in my eye.

When I read people having odd problems, I try to follow their links to their web page or flickr account. I find the quality of the images generally speaks to how much they know. If it's a pro, then I listen, if not, I toss it as someone who didn't read the manual.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ Godless

Can yo give us some links or other references to the issues on focus? Other than the complaint of the narrow focus spot placement in the D600 and the early left focus problems on the D800 I have not heard of focus issues. And, the D800's shipped since August 2012 are supposed to have this corrected by some reports.
    Msmoto, mod
  • M35G35M35G35 Posts: 3Member
    First, the exclaimer, I am not a pro. I bought my D800E around Xmas. I took several pict's with it when I first got it to test for the left focus issue. I found that the left focus problem is not an issue on my D800E. That being said, it was that, a quick test. I did find an article on how to test for the left focus problem and it is in depth. However, I have yet to need to use the left focus points.I went ahead and bought the D800E knowing that the left focus issue exist with very very small chance of getting one. When I was researching in October/November/December it seemed the issue was pretty much corrected (buying NEW). Bottom line, I would not worry about it at this point if you are buying a new. As for the D800E it is a tremendous tool and glad that I bought one. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong on buying a D800/E these days. Good luck on your decision.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

M35G35, what is the serial number of you D800E?
    I am wondering if I have an AF issue. Neither my far right or far left AF point seem to produce a good, sharp focus. I just got a D800E with s/n of 3010XXX.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 27Member
    I came across this method of AF fine tune today, not sure if any of you have seen this method before but it seems like a very easy and accurate way to adjust without even habing to take a photograph.
    What do you think?
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50774257
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Not very accurate at all. There are just too many variables for it to be off, and rarely can I get the focus dot ever to stay lit with my MF lenses. Just my experience though.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ OnTheRopes

I will give this a try once I receive my new focus adjustment target. I have the LensAlign MkII Focus Calibration System coming in the mail. Using your suggestion, comparing it with the results from teh new system, it should be easily seen if the AF "Dot" method works.
    Msmoto, mod
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 27Member
    @msmoto - I am going away for 2 weeks or I would give this a try myself, it will have to wait until I get home now but it will be interesting to see your results