SnapBridge connectivity and app

aameriaameri Posts: 1Member
edited January 2016 in Nikon Software
Along with yesterday's announcement of the D5 and D500, Nikon also announced a new solution for transferring images from the camera to iPhone and Android. SnapBridge will be coming with the D500 (not D5) will use Bluetooth along with Wi-Fi for transferring images.

Nikon already has Wi-Fi built in to a few cameras for image transfer (D7200, D750) and a few others can use an adaptor. The current app is Wireless Mobile Utility ("WMU"). Do you think that SnapBridge will replace WMU? Will it work with the older cameras? The current WMU app seems buggy, unfinished and outdated. I often experience issues with connectivity and transfer and the feature set is limited. It would be great if the SnapBridge app would replace WMU.

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/05/nikon-announces-new-snapbridge-connectivity-for-photo-transfer-and-sharing.aspx/
Post edited by aameri on

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited January 2016
    That's my question too- if there's a firmware update to the "old" D7200 that brings it up to SnapBridge, then that'd be awesome, and I'd be willing to consider the D7200 for a future upgrade. Honestly, all of Nikon's cameras should be updated with SnapBridge if they want to stay relevant in this sort of market. The old WiFi dongle just looks janky to me- it juts out, it's not cheap and it can easily be lost. Everything about it looks suboptimal to me and reminds me of a half-baked project.

I still find it weird Nikon wants you to pay $6,500 for a Nikon D5 and not include SnapBridge. Not to say that it's a deal breaking omission, but it's another option to move photos off your camera. Options are always good.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2016
    It would be nice if the new app would support older cameras, regardless of bluetooth. There's no reason why it wouldn't work over WIFI, which is much faster and safer when setup correctly.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    It'll replace the GPS unit for me, although I'll have to buy an iphone as a camera accessory since the Blackberry platform is not supported.
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
    edited January 2016
    So more info on snapbridge. It appears that it is not just for bluetooth cameras, it's just the name Nikon is using for WIFI/Bluetooth equipped cameras that work with the WMU app, which appears to be totally unchanged.

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Nikon-snapbridge.page

Obviously the new app will come later with the D5 and D500. Those of us with older cameras will likely be left in the dust though.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    So more info on snapbridge. It appears that it is not just for bluetooth cameras, it's just the name Nikon is using for WIFI/Bluetooth equipped cameras that work with the WMU app, which appears to be totally unchanged.

Obviously the new app will come later with the D5 and D500. Those of us with older cameras will likely be left in the dust though.
    That's kind of disappointing. Snapbridge just means "wirelessly connected camera to a smartphone" according to that website. If that's the case then all current Nikon cameras with wifi are "Snapbridge" cameras. I was left with the impression however that the BLE connection was going to be used to constantly push data to the smart phone, not just with a wifi connection. Nikon should have hired some better software folks to revamp their app.
    edited January 2016
    I suspect the bluetooth will still be used on the D500, since it uses far less power than WIFI. Bluetooth has another advantage, it only requires authentication once in the form of a key, which is then stored in both devices. Of course WIFI has advantages as well, such as strong signal strength, faster connection speeds, and more importantly longer range.
    Post edited by PB_PM on

That's kind of disappointing. Snapbridge just means "wirelessly connected camera to a smartphone" according to that website. If that's the case then all current Nikon cameras with wifi are "Snapbridge" cameras. I was left with the impression however that the BLE connection was going to be used to constantly push data to the smart phone, not just with a wifi connection. Nikon should have hired some better software folks to revamp their app.
    Software is not Nikon's strength, they suck at this sort of stuff.

I also wonder, how secure is this wireless business too? I can't imagine it be hard to hack if it was designed to make it easier to connect to your phone or laptop. Piggybacking off of that, it may be pretty easy to get personal information off your phone, emails, contacts, credit card information, and stuff like that.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Bluetooth is pretty secure, otherwise everyone with a pair of headphones would be hacked. The "preshared key" methodology works because the proximity has to be there; it only works with 100' or so. As long as you connect the devices securely the first time, you avoid most of the hacks. Don't make your device discoverable, unless necessary and don't make your device connectable, other than necessary.

https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factsheets/i732-016r-07.pdf

Wifi is a different story.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Indeed, a new strong security encryption method for WIFI really is needed. That said there are not too many people out there with the knowledge to hack a well setup WIFI system with a strong password. For a short range device like a DSLR, WIFI is a good compromise for range and speed of data transfer.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Until the cylons arrive ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    A $5 wrench is all you need to defeat any form of encryption:
    edited January 2016
    If someone has physical access to the hardware anything is possible. Security is more to protect against remote access.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    What about the NFC that also built in?
    NFC is simply not fast enough for transferring anything beyond highly compressed low resolution files. NFC in Nikon cameras is used to start a WIFI connection between the camera a (Android) smartphone,
    Has anyone used SnapBridge with a D7500 and android phones? I use a Samsung S22. Just curious about their experience because officially, Android support for SnapBridge ends with the D750 and the D7200. Curious that they never updated the app for the D7500.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Snapbridge is not made for a particular camera, but for a series of cameras, and I saw on the Nikon site that the D7500 was among them. So it should work fine on the Samsung S22.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member
    My wife used Snapbridge with her 7500 and Samsung phones for several years. Never had any issues. Aside from the "normal" Snapbridge clunkiness