Slow shutter on D7100 with about 18000 shutter count.

mrIsbomrIsbo Posts: 5Member
edited January 2016 in D90/D7x00
I bought a used Nikon D7100 lasted firmware version C 1.03. Shutter count 18000.
My problem is my shutter speed. It´s slow even spots mode, but working fine in S mode.
Any one who try that problem?
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If your shutter works in M and S mode, there is nothing physically/mechanically wrong with it. What are your ISO settings?
  • mrIsbomrIsbo Posts: 5Member
    Even with low ISO like 100. The pictures can be unsharp & out of focus.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    It may be helpful to see an example. Try ISO 1000 and "P" mode in daylight. See if this works and supply the Exif data from the shot as well.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    do you mean shutter speed ....ie its set for 1/250 but is only doing 1/30 or do you mean in Cl or CH its going slow ?

Do a two button re set ..where did you get it ..if its e bay start a return and get your money back if you cannot fix it
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Not sure anyone knows what you means. Add some explanation of what you mean by the shutter speed is slow. And you are getting unsharp pictures. Without examples or additional information it is impossible to know what the problem is.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    User error - not enough light, says me ... Programme Sports mode goes down to slowest possible shutter speed for correct exposure where as S mode sticks to what he has chosen ...
    How to a two button reset? Yes when it´s set for 1/250 and feels like 1/30. But before I have a D5100. This D7100 is still much to learn.
    Your problem will not be solved by resetting ...
    It will be, if you point your camera to a bright light source.
    You have to read/learn basics on how camera modes react to different light conditions.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just to clarify, what is spots mode? Did you mean sport mode? It would be helpful if you gave us more information about what you were trying to do with the camera- shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and what lens and conditions you were using the camera under.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Mean sport mode. I am using Nikon 18/140mm 3.5-5.6, Nikon 40mm 2.8 macro & Nikon 35mm 1.8.
    Like this one ISO 320, 60mm, 0 evo, 1/20, f/5 no pop up flash.
    edited January 2016
    Pre-programmed modes like Sport mode choose the settings for you for what light is available. Sport mode chooses fastest speed for that light and set ISO. Had you chosen ISO 3200 instead of ISO320 ( or let the camera use default Auto ISO ) , the shutter speed would have gone up 3.5 stops giving you 1/200 or so.

As I said before, you must first understand how camera works in each mode.
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Ah, I have no idea how to use those modes. I think it would be helpful for you to learn what the PASM (stands for Program, Aperture, Shutter, Manual modes) dial does on the D7100. You'll find that it's way more flexible changing those settings yourself than to rely on a preset mode.

What Paperman is probably correct, the camera probably made a preset that wasn't optimal for your condition. When you learn about the PASM modes, you'll be able to change settings on the fly depending on your situation and be able to get more photos you're happier with.

It's really scary at the beginning with an advanced camera, but don't worry, digital is free, delete any photos you screw up.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    OK, I'm not at home at the moment so I'm not able to re-check anything right now, but....

Yesterday after reading this I played with my D7000 to see what I could figure out - assuming the D7100 works the same as the D7000.
    If I remember correctly, the way to use the modes on the D7000 is to turn the dial to "SCENE" then use, I believe, the rear thumb dial to select the mode. These are the typal point-n-shoot modes one of which is "Sports." Used Live View to scroll through these.

Since I never used this when I only had the D7000 I tested it. I set ISO to 100 then turned Auto ISO off. Using the Sport mode with Live View in a dimly lit room the camera chose ISO 3200 on its own and reeled off shots at 1/200 sec. Pointed the camera to light coming thru the window, the camera dropped ISO lower and reeled off shots at 1/320 to 1/500 sec.

All of this was done in Live View as you're not able to see these modes thru the viewfinder.

So, If this is how the camera should perform and if OP is doing everything properly, he/she just might have discovered an undisclosed problem with the camera.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

I set ISO to 100 then turned Auto ISO off. Using the Sport mode with Live View in a dimly lit room the camera chose ISO 3200 on its own ...
    Had you chosen the ISO after you chose the Sports mode, the ISO would have stayed in 100, resulting in a very slow shutter speed like the OP's.

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    ^^ Ahhhh, I'll try that tonight. Thanks Paperman.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The simplest answer to @mrIsbo is to turn auto ISO on in sport mode. The ISO setting (amongst others) is sticky to the scene modes. If you go to another mode it could have a different setting. If you go to any of PSAM the settings it will be different than what you set for the "scene" parameters.
    The other way to get there is do a two-button reset, which will reset the ISO to "auto" for all of the scene modes.

Page 131 in the D7100 manual:
    "The camera settings listed below can be restored to default values by holding the minus magnifiy and exposure compensation buttons down together for more than two seconds (these buttons are marked by a green dot). The control panel turns off briefly while settings are reset."

You can look at the table on 131 and 132 to see exactly what is reset. ISO is set to 100 for PSAM and Auto for all other modes.

@mrIsbo, after you have reset ISO to "auto" for the sports scene mode (following any of the advice here) you should see your ISO rise accordingly to keep the shutter speed high. Once you see that, you can look at what settings the camera chose to get the photos you like, and you can mimic that in M or S mode.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited January 2016
    These scene modes are there to persuade people who are worried that they will not be able to use the camera that its easy so they buy it ..forget them .
    Put in A ( aperture ) F8 auto iso to 6400 and min 1/30 AF-s tape up the dials and just use the thing.....
    If its dark like in a disco use P. If its sports up the min speed to say 1/500

PS then start reading the manual ....
    Check out picture control and if you are a jpeg shooter set sharpness to +9
    check out fine focus adjust and adjust that .

this may take you some time but once mastered the journey will be worth it ...
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Thanks you guys for all the help. It´s a big step from D5100 to D7100. I am tried get allround the set up & setting and photograf in & out door.