PC-E 17 mm

More than three years ago, Nikon filed patent for a 17 mm tilt and shift. Do we have a realistic chance for an official announcement this year?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That would be a great lens to complement the 24 PC, especially if it could tilt and shift.
  • ConsanescoConsanesco Posts: 2Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm desperately waiting for this lens. Actually even seriously thinking about switching to Canon only for the 17 mm. It's perfect for architectural photography.
    Post edited by Consanesco on
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited January 2016
    An interesting in depth report on the Canon PC lens
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-17mm-f-4-L-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx. Compared to the Schneider PC version at more than double the price the Super Angolan 28mm 4,5 PC/TC Lens http://diglloyd.com/prem/s/DAP/SchneiderPCTS_28f4_5/movements.html?dglyPT=true. In view of Schneider's technology it's strange that they considered 28mm the widest they would go.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2016
    What about that Venus/Laowa 15mm tilter that was on the blog a couple of weeks back? Thomas Shahan rates it.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I am waiting for a PC-E 17mm also.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • keplerkepler Posts: 2Member
    Please Nikon make a PC-E 17mm, I don't want to switch to Canon but I really need that lens!!!
    kepler said:

Please Nikon make a PC-E 17mm, I don't want to switch to Canon but I really need that lens!!!

What are you shooting? If you shoot at f/5.6 you will have massive DOF at 17mm - everything will be in focus past 0.9m all the way to infinity if you focus on something 2.0m away.

You can then correct perspective in Photoshop. What will PC control give you that these options will not?

I have the 24mm 3.5 PC on order, for which the DOF is between 1.24m and 5.19m using the above parameters.

My guess is that knowing this, Nikon has likely correctly determined that there is no real market for a 17 PC lens because it can't accomplish anything that stopping down and using a basic software package cannot accomplish.

At 24mm on the other hand, no amount of post processing can fix the areas that are outside of the DOF.

There is one thing that you may want to accomplish. Perhaps you want to shoot at f/2.8 or f/4.0, in which case the DOF if only 4 or 15 metres respectively. However, if you are trying to achieve a really blurry effect outside of the DOF, you will not accomplish much except a softish almost in focus area. Remember that the Canon does not shoot at f/2.8 - it is only f/4.0. So maybe there is something you are trying to do, but it is likely not architecture or landscapes.

My calculations were done here:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/dof-calculator.htm

I'm desperately waiting for this lens. Actually even seriously thinking about switching to Canon only for the 17 mm. It's perfect for architectural photography.

As I said in my previous post, unless you refuse to do your perspective control in post, there is no benefit to this lens. I cannot imagine that there would be any perceptible difference in the final image between a 17mm PC lens and regular 17mm lens with the perspective corrected in post. It certainly won't benefit you in architecture photography where depending on your lens, you should be shooting at f/5.6 or f/8.0 to maximize sharpness which gives you infinite DOF at 17mm. Just shoot at f/5.6 or f/8.0 and correct the perspective in post.

That would be a great lens to complement the 24 PC, especially if it could tilt and shift.

Based on a careful consideration of DOF and my prior two comments, I now humbly take back this endorsement of a 17mm PC lens from Nikon. I am however, looking forward to my 24mm, where there are significant DOF limitations at f/8.0. I am also looking forward to the sheer joy and educational value that the lens will provide.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    :-) out of the square but there is the 18-50 Nikon DL with built in soft PC :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Neither built-in soft PC or perspective correction in post are going to be anywhere near the same IQ as the result from a tilt-shift lens. You greatly distort an image taken with a standard rectilinear ultra-wide on the one hand in comparison to moving the area used around in a larger image circle with a tilt-shift.
    Always learning.

Neither built-in soft PC or perspective correction in post are going to be anywhere near the same IQ as the result from a tilt-shift lens. You greatly distort an image taken with a standard rectilinear ultra-wide on the one hand in comparison to moving the area used around in a larger image circle with a tilt-shift.

Do you think this is true for all focal lengths, or just for ultra-wide focal lengths?

:-) out of the square but there is the 18-50 Nikon DL with built in soft PC :-)

My Coolpix A has this. It can work well, though it seems to struggle in certain circumstances keeping lines straight. I can't remember why. Perhaps when I was getting extreme.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016

Neither built-in soft PC or perspective correction in post are going to be anywhere near the same IQ as the result from a tilt-shift lens.

Of course that's true :-)

Still the DL1850 will meet many of the OP set of the requirements.. we really dont know for certain what level of requirements the OP has.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Do you think this is true for all focal lengths, or just for ultra-wide focal lengths?
    Gets worse the wider the lens because the distortion needing correction in post gets worse. Tele's need hardly any normally.
    Always learning.
    I see what you mean. That is my experience as well.