Canon 80D.

FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
edited February 2016 in Other Manufacturers
New 80D from Canon. Maybe a great buy for soccer moms. At least it beats a cell phone. Not sure where it will fit in the competition as it is too new to tell. Specs seem reasonable

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1225875-REG/canon_1263c004_eos_80d_dslr_camera.html
Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The 80D is pitched at the same level as the D7200 I think. I used a 60D, didn't rate it.
    Always learning.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    I just know that Canon aps-c sensors are a tad smaller than the Nikon/Sony version. Not sure of the pitch. No new bodies for me until a few lenses are bought anyway. I sorely needed a 24-35 Sigma Art last week. I'm not sure if Canon has a 16-80 dx lens to match the Nikon on a D7200. That may be a matchup that will get a lot of use soon.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    They have a nice 15-85 ..saw one last year .. looks fine ...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    In the right hands I've seen even a rebel T2i produce some awesome images. A friend used my 24-70 2.8L on it. I have no doubts the 80D will be popular among Canon shooters at that level. It's just not for me with two good Nikon crop bodies. If I ever shoot a Canon again anytime soon it would be the 1DX MII. Time will tell. I didn't like images I printed from samples from the 1DX. That got me to Nikon. Still needing 10fps and not sure which way to go and the D7200 with only 6fps is not enough. 80D is certainly not an answer. Several months yet to need to make that decision. I had not seen the 15-85 Canon lens but have a friend with the 17-85. The bottom line is how will the 80D effect Nikon/Canon sales competition in that level of bodies.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I really like the skin tones on a canon when the exposure is nailed correctly. Their full frame cameras have beautiful skin tones but are difficult to correct in post if the exposure is off. I'm sure the 80D will be good but the main thing canon has never capitalized on is combining their dual pixel with on sensor pdaf. A mirror less camera that can phase detect into a general af range and then use the contrast dual pixel to focus anywhere in the frame would make for an awesome mirror less camera with eye detect anywhere.
    My mate has the 17-85 and it is a CA machine. Lightroom profile doesn't come close to getting it all.

That Sigma 24-35 gives me bad GAS.

@manhattanboy: The 7D2 has brilliant AF once you learn how to use it and if it isn't affected by the recall issue.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @manhattanboy you hit the nail on the head from what I've heard regarding Canon's rendering of skin tones. I've heard of portrait photographers switching from Nikon to Canon for that alone. Obviously people who primarily shoot people.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2016
    Skin tones are one of the reasons I still use my old Fuji S5pro (d200 clone).. such a shame there was never an S6pro ( hmmm maybe a D500 clone! lol ) from what I have see in the samples, the D500 may have the best Skin tones ever produced by Nikon. =P~
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• 9viii9viii Posts: 25Member

I really like the skin tones on a canon when the exposure is nailed correctly. Their full frame cameras have beautiful skin tones but are difficult to correct in post if the exposure is off. I'm sure the 80D will be good but the main thing canon has never capitalized on is combining their dual pixel with on sensor pdaf. A mirror less camera that can phase detect into a general af range and then use the contrast dual pixel to focus anywhere in the frame would make for an awesome mirror less camera with eye detect anywhere.

Dual Pixel AF is a Phase Detect system.
    On the first generation it covered 80% of the frame and on the 80D it covers 100% of the frame. In either case you can pretty much focus anywhere you want.

It is possible that Contrast Detect AF is more accurate, but it's usually pretty slow too, though I think I've heard that a few of the M43 systems can get CDAF pretty snappy. I haven't tried any of the recent stuff so I can't comment personally, but most reviews say that Dual Pixel AF is the best video autofocus you can get.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited February 2016
    Just going off specifications, the 80D seems pretty closely matched next to the D7200. When the D7300 gets trickle down tech from the D500, it seems like it would be a more fair match.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I heard that canon tweaked their skin tones for western skin whereas Nikon didn't.
    Always learning.