Variable aperture programming.

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
Now if I am right somewhere in my Nikon I can set the shutter speed to rise as the focal length of my lens increases .
This seems a bit obsolete today with VR .
Now what if I could programme the aperture to change with focal length. I could study my DXO sharpness and field map and use the best aperture for that focal length. So at 28mm I might have F4 and then at 100mm change to 5.6 and at 300mm f8.....
OK you say just move the thumb wheel to what you want ....No No they stay taped over ,too often the errant thumb has moved the wheel without permission..!! chimping ? dont do that either.

I once disabled the rear wheel and left it untaped but my wife discovered by pressing one of the rear buttons unknowingly she could then knock the wheel in error and do all sorts of great things to the colour balance !!!! No No tape them up !!!

Useful idea or not .?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2016
    If you vary ISO to get your exposure, high ISO rips away more IQ than you are talking of gaining...
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Exactly ..at present its all at F8 but if in the 28-50mm range I could automatically drop to 5.6 then I would halve the ISO.
    So developing the theme if I could vary F stop and speed dependent on focal length to a pre set profile I could gain a lot.
    Well not really would the customers or bank manager be any happier ? no
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2016
    Cant do much customization/programming without the command wheels :-)
    Oneday we may get the SDK in Open Source to be able to fully customize it but until then, special people like you will have to conform .. :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Maybe you need to get the Pentax K1 because it has U1 to U5 so you could save all kinds of weird stuff in it!
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Now if I am right somewhere in my Nikon I can set the shutter speed to rise as the focal length of my lens increases .
    This seems a bit obsolete today with VR .
    Now what if I could programme the aperture to change with focal length. I could study my DXO sharpness and field map and use the best aperture for that focal length. So at 28mm I might have F4 and then at 100mm change to 5.6 and at 300mm f8.....
    OK you say just move the thumb wheel to what you want ....No No they stay taped over ,too often the errant thumb has moved the wheel without permission..!! chimping ? dont do that either.

I once disabled the rear wheel and left it untaped but my wife discovered by pressing one of the rear buttons unknowingly she could then knock the wheel in error and do all sorts of great things to the colour balance !!!! No No tape them up !!!

Useful idea or not .?

Go to your "Shooting Menu" on your D800, but it will be similar on a D7xxx. Select "ISO Sensitivity Settings". Select "Auto ISO sensitivity control" and select "On". Then select "Minimum Shutter Speed", "Auto" and then there are five settings "Slower to Faster" from right to left. I have it set to slow as I have a steady arm.

It works like a dream and I often use it. I have my AE-L/AFL button set so it goes to my quick menu and this is one of the menu items. Also, when I select the ISO button the back wheel selects the ISO setting and the front wheel toggles between "ISO" and "ISO-Auto".

Not sure if this will help with my new VR lens. There is not setting for stupid slow.
    Special People ..I love that ..here in UK people with mental health problems are often referred to as Special people .....
    We are all special :-) I think "Special People" are called special to remind the "non specials" that consider them subhumans that its them that are sub humans.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    Wow ..... you tape the rear command dial ? Speechless !

This article will change your life - manual mode with auto iso, puts you in control of the camera.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/04/11/shooting-nikon-in-manual-mode-with-auto-iso.aspx/

@Nikoniser: Yeah, one of the great things about Nikons is the way they put those controls right under your finger tips, but one of the bad things about Nikons is how they put those pesky controls right where your fingers go. ;-)

How many times have you glimpsed the settings and thought 'oops, how long have I been shooting at that speed/aperture'? Happens to me from time to time in a high paced shooting event environment. Trouble is, I am too OCD to put sticky tape on my camera...
    Always learning.
    Never......the shutter and aperture is right there in front of you all the time in the viewfinder and on the top plate, how can you miss it ? and you should adjust it everytime you change subject.
    dunno .. I have never had that happen to me :-)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Gaffers tape leaves no residue... There really oughta be a control lock setting.
    edited March 2016
    Agreed. At least on the top bodies. Canon do it... /:)
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited March 2016
    I shoot 90% in Aperture mode. Therefore I don't accidentally change settings. When I shoot in Manual mode or any mode I always accidentally change the settings because the wheels rub on body or something happens. On the D8xx you can lock the settings while shooting in manual mode or in any mode. YOu can program a button or go in the menu each time to do it. On the Df this is not an issue in any way. On the D750 for some reason I preffer to shoot that body in Manual mode 90% of the time and there is no locking the shutter and aperture that I have figured out but I do accidentaly change the shutter speed and aperture on each shoot without noticing.
    Sometimes I know if the shutter speed has been changed because I listen to its duration. That's my story
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    @Vipmediastar: During the events I shoot, you can't hear the shutter and a 35 second workflow from greet to prints of three poses including green-screen processing for four hours continuously doesn't leave me any room for anything that people who don't do that workflow think is easily possible or not a problem!
    Always learning.
    Nikoniser@...No I tape the front and rear dials and we now have a lock on the mode dial so that's fine ....
    don't tend to notice what's in the viewfinder display and as I don't wear my glasses when shooting cannot see the top LCD..the camera is just a thing on the end of my arm for recording images I am not interested in playing with it continuously....
    Old Age ...lovely
    Buy a J5/J4. My J4 is the only Nikon I shoot in full auto, it does an outstanding job, instant focus, the lenses are great wide open and don't need to be stopped down, great face recognition and enough depth of field to make nailing the eye as point of focus irrelevant. It falls down in low light, but if you want to take landscapesyou can use the 60fps feature to take 20 shots in 1/3 second and then stack them in photoshop to kill the noise.
    Nikoniser@ even though very few people ask what camera you are using there is no pose factor in a J5.....D810 with grip/flash etc hits the spot and good in low light.