How many shutter actuations does/did your camera have?

Comments

• BrainBeatBrainBeat Posts: 54Member
    I was just thinking how many my D5000 had done and it is just over 35000 and still going strong.

For me my "keeper" rate is probably closer to 80% but most of that is photos that go strait to print for same night sales of which I sell around 50-60% on average.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I only have around 8500 pictures, but I am not a rapid fire type and usually just take what I think will turn out. Lots of mine are taken while out for work so I usually stop and snap a pic and get back on the road. Not much opportunity to shoot lots of frames. Not many releases compared to others though.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ Symphotic

Yup, I think I could get about 1 1/2 FPS when hand cranking my "F" bodies. The motor-drive was several hundred dollars back then, about the price of the camera body.
    Msmoto, mod
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Bump... just trying to see how many new members had a digital camera die on them.

And I'm embarrassed to say this, but I forgot how to check how many actuations my D7000 has... even though I was the original poster of this thread. I think it involved uploading a jpg of the supposed last photo before your camera died, but I forgot the link to that website.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If you have Photoshop the file properties show the shutter count.
    Always learning.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    D800E 42K
    D4 61K

Denver Shooter
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    On the Mac, open the jpg in Preview -> Tools -> Show Inspector
    In the window that pops-up, click on the circle with the "i" ("more info") and select "Nikon". Shutter count is right there. :-B
    I saw a website a year or two ago that has statistical numbers for shutter life. One can visit the site and enter the number of clicks so far if it is still going or the number of clicks when it failed. The site has no axe to grind about manufacturers and makes interesting reading. The most reliable shutter is the 7D being pretty much indestructible. IME in use it is a quiet and smooth sound too, so no big surprise there.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If the camera was new when you bought it then the shutter count is valid.
    I bought a second hand with 84 clicks but the register showed 7200 oh dear ..which is why I always turn the register count off. Its like a second hand car ..the Nikon service software is out there to set it to anything you want..takes about 15 seconds.
    edited March 2016
    Jeez, really? I didn't know that. How do we see these two numbers?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.

I saw a website a year or two ago that has statistical numbers for shutter life. One can visit the site and enter the number of clicks so far if it is still going or the number of clicks when it failed. The site has no axe to grind about manufacturers and makes interesting reading. The most reliable shutter is the 7D being pretty much indestructible. IME in use it is a quiet and smooth sound too, so no big surprise there.

I think this was the site you were talking about.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

I think this was the site you were talking about.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/
    Similar, but not the same site (No 7D). I notice that the 1D cameras aren't too durable in comparison to the D3 on that site.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited March 2016
    I am embarrassed to say that I just don't shoot enough. New technology arrives and I buy a new body to have that technology before a shutter comes remotely close to wearing out. Generally, I don't get beyond 20,000 shutter actuations before I am shooting with a newer body. Sad, but true. Now I want a D5 and a D500 but cannot come remotely close to actually needing either. Almost all of my work today is done with a D750 because I like the face recognition autofocus feature and the higher ISO quality which allows me to shoot at around ISO 1600 to ISO 2000 under constant LED lighting which is much more comfortable for the model. I believe that higher quality ISO ability plus LED constant lighting is much better than flash when you know the image will never be printed larger than 8x10 or 11x14. Just a few days ago I shot this session for a young girl with a D600, zoom with soft focus filter (at 75mm for this shot), f5.6 and ISO 1600 under constant LED lighting. So far this photo has only been printed to 5x7. It may never be printed larger. People seem to want photos on cell phones and only 5x7 to set around these days.

DSC_7943
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Slow to get on board here....LOL....my D800E has about 12,000 clicks, D4 about 44,000. Do not need another camera for a long time.......

If someone wants a new camera and can afford it, why not. It gives someone else a chance to purchase a second hand body which may be almost new...
    Msmoto, mod
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited March 2016
    My D800 is on 90 k, and the D300 is on 150. I tend to shoot around 50 k exposures every year and I buy a new camera when the old one is worn out (or when I get tired of it being too noisy, the D800 can really scare away birds).

Ps. I have a little less than 2000 photographs, so I keep less than one out of 1000. It is actually less than I thought.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • FatcharlieFatcharlie Posts: 9Member
    D4 going strong on 295,932 shutter counts.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    my first d7000 had 178,000ish when it's shutter went. Funny thing was Nikon said it's be a couple months return time so I put a note in that said to let me know when they were doing it so I could transfer money to that account. I sent it on thursday, nikon called me on tuesday saying it was done but my card was declined... and I said of course that's why I put note in to call me but hold on and ill transfer it now and she told me to hold on real quick. I transferred money while waiting and she came back on and I told her i transfer the money and she said "oh... well you don't need to worry about it as we're going to go ahead and just take care of it for you and I just needed you to hold on so that I could get it on the shipping truck which is just leaving now but we also overnighted it to you at no cost either... got it the next day.

That's the only one that I've had go out
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The problem is that if your camera has a very high shutter count then it becomes difficult to sell as everyone wants to know the count in your advert ...You are probably best to sell it after a couple of years or below 30,000 as the value drops.
    My D800 has about 3000 on it (hate that camera ) so will sell it when we get an upgrade to the D810 (love that camera)

my first d7000 had 178,000ish when it's shutter went. Funny thing was Nikon said it's be a couple months return time so I put a note in that said to let me know when they were doing it so I could transfer money to that account. I sent it on thursday, nikon called me on tuesday saying it was done but my card was declined... and I said of course that's why I put note in to call me but hold on and ill transfer it now and she told me to hold on real quick. I transferred money while waiting and she came back on and I told her i transfer the money and she said "oh... well you don't need to worry about it as we're going to go ahead and just take care of it for you and I just needed you to hold on so that I could get it on the shipping truck which is just leaving now but we also overnighted it to you at no cost either... got it the next day.

If you don't mind me asking, how much would it have cost if Nikon hadn't done it free of charge?

I'm trying to figure out if and when my D7000 goes if it's worth a shutter replacement.

That's mighty nice of Nikon to do that, the overall consensus of Nikon customer service is pretty poor from what I've read.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    That's the Internet echo chamber, I've had nothing but great service from them. Shutters run $200-$350 from Nikon, depending on camera. How many clicks you have on the D7000? There are also 3rd party folks that can replace a shutter even cheaper.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I had them fix my D800E which stopped autofocusing and Nikon LA did a great job quickly and it was not very expensive. I also had them fix my Nikon 24mm to 70mm F/2.8 and again they did outstanding work and fast turnaround.

Denver Shooter
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    NSXTypeR said:

If you don't mind me asking, how much would it have cost if Nikon hadn't done it free of charge?

I'm trying to figure out if and when my D7000 goes if it's worth a shutter replacement.

That's mighty nice of Nikon to do that, the overall consensus of Nikon customer service is pretty poor from what I've read.
    If I recall correctly it was around $300... If you go to the nikon repair site and start to put in a repair it will bring you to an estimate screen... shutter isn't on there but I entered "shutter replacement" into the other box and it gave me a quote which was almost exact.

I ended up selling that one but regretted it and bought another with under 20k actuations with a 50mm 1.8 for $325. If I was you i'd sell it now before it goes and get another since they are selling for so little. Also, if it does go and you get it fixed the shutter count usually doesn't reset so it makes it harder to sell. In my case I kept the last pic and all the nikon documents so when I did sell it the guy actually liked that I had just gotten it replaced since that gave a short warranty time and at least to him made it more attractable then the other ones that were available.

You always hear how bad nikon service is but they've always been very good to me.
    I think the service one gets from ones local service centre is totally down to that centre and they should not all be branded with the same mark. Here in the UK, Canon doesn't even have a service centre, they hand responsibility off to third party companies. Nikon UK has a great service centre in Kingston which has always been good in my experience.

If my service centre was crap, I'd let them know. Really.
    Always learning.
    Ironheart said:

That's the Internet echo chamber, I've had nothing but great service from them. Shutters run $200-$350 from Nikon, depending on camera. How many clicks you have on the D7000? There are also 3rd party folks that can replace a shutter even cheaper.

Thanks.

My D7000 is practically mint, I probably have under 5,000 shots since I bought it new. I'm asking just to see whether I should put it towards a new body or replacing the shutter. When my D40 died my parents didn't understand why I decided against fixing it. If it would have cost $300 back in 2013, there's no way I would have paid to fix the thing. A refurbished D3200 kit I think was selling for $350 recently.

NSXTypeR said:

If I recall correctly it was around $300... If you go to the nikon repair site and start to put in a repair it will bring you to an estimate screen... shutter isn't on there but I entered "shutter replacement" into the other box and it gave me a quote which was almost exact.

I ended up selling that one but regretted it and bought another with under 20k actuations with a 50mm 1.8 for $325. If I was you i'd sell it now before it goes and get another since they are selling for so little. Also, if it does go and you get it fixed the shutter count usually doesn't reset so it makes it harder to sell. In my case I kept the last pic and all the nikon documents so when I did sell it the guy actually liked that I had just gotten it replaced since that gave a short warranty time and at least to him made it more attractable then the other ones that were available.

You always hear how bad nikon service is but they've always been very good to me.

My D7000 is practically mint, so I'm probably not going to sell it anytime soon. My plan is to shoot the camera into the ground and see what Nikon has made at that time. By that time I hope they haven't left DSLRs and moved onto something like what Sony made with SLTs. Honestly, if Nikon updated the D7200 to include some of the features of the D500 with WiFi and all I'd be a pretty happy camper.

Glad things worked out for you.