Recommendations on Memory Card Readers

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
Hello all, here's a question for you guys- what's your pick for an all in one memory card reader? I've been ok up until now, I'm using a Sandisk all in one card reader... but it's USB 2.0 and it's painfully slow to move 4 gigs of data onto a micro SD card.

So before I buy some random reader, I was wondering what you guys picked for your all in one reader. I was hoping to cover at least SD and microSD cards, and USB 3.0 is a must.

Thanks, and sorry in advance if this has been a previously discussed topic.
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I've been using a Transcend for some time now with no problems. TS-RDF8K USB 3.0. Downloads D800 files no problem. I like it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I use a Lexar USB 3.0 and for £18 ($27) it is fine indeed.
    Always learning.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have been using the one in my computer, a newer computer. It works fine but I plan to buy a D500. What would you recommend for XQD and UH II SD cards?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Parke1953 said:

I've been using a Transcend for some time now with no problems. TS-RDF8K USB 3.0. Downloads D800 files no problem. I like it.

I use a Lexar USB 3.0 and for £18 ($27) it is fine indeed.

Thanks, I'll look into those.
    retread said:

I have been using the one in my computer, a newer computer. It works fine but I plan to buy a D500. What would you recommend for XQD and UH II SD cards?

I have no idea haha, I don't have any camera that needs it yet. I'm sure other members with the D4 can point you in the right direction.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    If you want the dogs bollocks look at the Lexar Workflow system. It is super fast and very adaptable. Even when you take the units out of the base, they works nicely as travelling companions. Otherwise check out the Lexar Professional Dual Slot Reader. Equally fast...
    Killerbob said:

If you want the dogs bollocks look at the Lexar Workflow system. It is super fast and very adaptable. Even when you take the units out of the base, they works nicely as travelling companions. Otherwise check out the Lexar Professional Dual Slot Reader. Equally fast...

Hmm, interesting. Not terribly expensive, but does look very tempting. I'll have to take a look.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I have it with the 500GB SSD, CF and SD reader, and one spot free, perhaps for an XQD reader?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The Lexar LRW024U-7000 which handles SDHC/MMC, micro SD, xD, CF, MS/PRO/Duo/M2 is what I have.

For XQD, I use a Sony MRW-E80. A Sony XQD Express Card Adapter which fit in a slot in my Macbook stopped reading the card a few months ago after only 30-40,000 images, so i have gone back to the reader which was supplied with my D4.
    Msmoto, mod
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I ran into an issue when I upgraded everything to USB 3.0 and certain old versions of windows which none of my external CF readers where working for some reason.

After googling the issue, I fould the Hoodman USB 3.0 card reader and it is (or at least the older version I have) is firmware upgradable.

That sold me instantly..... no more problems, and the construction is nice too.

They don't make the one I have anymore, but this is the latest version:

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=STEELUSB3
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    Msmoto said:

The Lexar LRW024U-7000 which handles SDHC/MMC, micro SD, xD, CF, MS/PRO/Duo/M2 is what I have.

For XQD, I use a Sony MRW-E80. A Sony XQD Express Card Adapter which fit in a slot in my Macbook stopped reading the card a few months ago after only 30-40,000 images, so i have gone back to the reader which was supplied with my D4.

Mac OS update has rendered the Sony Driver DOA and Sony won't update the driver.

Denver Shooter
    edited December 2018
    So a bit of an update on this thread, I didn't really get to use it much up until a few days ago. I ended up getting the Lexar 25 in 1 USB 3.0 reader. Also happened to get it for $20, so that's nice too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867611-REG/Lexar_lrw025urbna_Multi_Card_25_in_1_USB_3_0.html?sts=pi

Works fast, transferred 16 gigs in a few minutes to my Macbook Pro. The reader is a little fidgety because you need to squeeze the sides to expose all the card ports, but that's ok I guess, you can justify that if you want to keep the inside ports dust free.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Does it do XQD?

For SD/ micro SD I got one on eBay for $0.79 shipped that works fine.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2018
    The Lexar card readers are all old stock. since as far as I know the new 'Lexar' isn't making them. They support typical consumer formats, SD, CF, Micro SD, maybe Sony memory stick?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited December 2018
    For SD en micro SD I have a "OTG USB-C" stick from Amazon for $ 9,50 in my pocket. This one works with everything. It has a USB-C, Micro USB and an USB 3.0 port, it is as fast as the SD card of course. No XQD.

"On The Go" I copy photo's to my 200gb sdcard in my phone or tablet.

I have other data on other SD cards and use this stick mostly on my tablet for extra storage.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    mhedges said:

Does it do XQD?

For SD/ micro SD I got one on eBay for $0.79 shipped that works fine.

Definitely not unfortunately. It’d definitely be way more than $24 if it did include XQD cards. When I got it it was really only the D5 using it so I felt pretty safe haha.