Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I think the reason you got no comments is, most of us don't even use the wifi facility of the camera. I use it for group photos and that's about it. The thing that bugs me the most about wifi shooting via a smartphone is that I cannot get a hotshoe or external flashes to fire. Talk about a pain in the butt!
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    I barely use the wifi in my D750... . even worst with the Android APP because it needs to download all of the pictures in the camera before showing anything in the app.... usually my camera has around 300-500 pictures every time... so downloading take several minutes...

Also, the other part is that I feel that the image degrades when transferring the file from the camera if you download several pictures at the same time... for example: downloading a single picture NEF 14bit will take like 10 seconds.... but you can download like 5 pictures and will take the same time to download. so something is missing or changed when downloading several pictures at the same time....

Taking picture with the app, is fast and easy and it focus correctly...
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    There is the very basic Nikon WMU (wireless mobile utility) which works OK. It is just a basic wireless release really.
    Always learning.
    Indeed.The sad thing is that Fuji's wifi app, which works with cheap point and shoots (aka the X30) is better than the wireless app for the D750, it gives full control over camera functions like ISO, WB, shutter, aperture etc. WMU is a joke, all you can do is hit the shutter button. That might be fine for the target buyers of the D3xxx and D5xxx, but having the same unless app for a $2k camera is unacceptable.
    Oh yeah and a new firmware update was just released for the camera. First impression, the camera is way snappier when navigating the menu, reviewing images etc.
    Totally agree about the WMU - it is an absolute joke. Good to hear the firmware update is worth it. No other improvements?
    Always learning.
    Most of the improvements appear to be aimed at video shooters, or issues which I have not run into.
    Amazing really, I have just run down the list of fixes and now feel like a complete dummy. I previously thought I got into my D750's capabilities quite deeply but I hadn't noticed any of those issues. I feel little better than a green button shooter now! :-S

Modern cameras sure are incredibly complex pieces of equipment.
    Always learning.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited November 2015
    I just did my first event with the D750. I didnt update before.

I can say that it is a pleasure to work with. I regret not having a battery grip but I decided to hold off on it.
    Af was good slightly better with the D810 but the D810 had the 24-70 2.8 G and that alone is snappy and was calibrated by nikon on the body.

The tilted screen helped in a few details shots but hardly used it.

The grip os fantastic. Im not as tired on my hands and the deep grip helped greatly.

Theres a few things that I don't like. When adjusting flash compensation it doesn't display on the top LCD. When Af/on is enabled unlike the D810 you can't focus with the shutter as well.

I purposely left the Df in the bag so that I can test the D750 and printing

Towards the end I printed a instax and gave it to the Dj (they hired me) His reaction was the reaction that I wanted to make.
    I gave a set to his wife with stand and hopefully that gift helps spread around.

In the end it worked but not as easy with as with the fuji. So far the Camranger was not needed but will consider it for a semi photobooth setup.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I'm a fan of Shutter Snitch iPhone app. It grabs pictures from Wi-Fi enabled camera's I use it with an Eye-Fi card. I shoot RAW to card 1 and small basic jpeg to the Eye-Fi. That speeds up the transmission to Shutter Snitch. Pretty sure it would work with D750. No, it won't give you CamRanger features (live view) but it's a handy tool in the wild or even in the (entry level) studio. Yes it occasionally hunts for the WiFi, so it's not 100% reliable, but I've never had to slap it around more than once.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • Photography201Photography201 Posts: 3Member
    Is this the forum to ask D750 questions and comment on other review sites?
    You can ask anything you like about the D750 here. Comments on reviews are fine, but you might find links to some websites might be removed.
  • Photography201Photography201 Posts: 3Member
    Whats the deal with how one thinks about the moderators in the Nikon FX forum on DPREVIEW.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2016

Whats the deal with how one thinks about the moderators in the Nikon FX forum on DPREVIEW.

Dunno .. never go there .. .. dont know if any of us go there.. anyone?

But, what do you mean?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Moderators are hero's IMHO....LOL!
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Not all moderators are created equal. Absolute power corrupts absolutely :wink:
    Present company excluded natch'
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Yeah, right.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Moderator....did someone say moderator?

Pre 2009_03.27.16
    Msmoto, mod
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Another Problem with my D750!!
    So a couple of weeks ago I was on a stag weekend for a friend's wedding.
    Whilst riding on a handcart (on a "disused" railway line), I tried to take a photo and the camera froze with "Err" on the top screen!
    Switched it off and back on, battery out and back in then suddenly (I didn't know how at the time), the shutter clicked again and the error was gone.
    Thought, hopefully it was just a one off (I thought it could be due to the ride on the handcart being a little bumpy).
    Then a couple of days ago on the main NR blog was a post showing exactly the same "Err" occurring for others!
    Tested mine and sure enough, when first turned on the shutter is pressed with a high shutter speed the error occurs!!!
    It seems only to occur after some time switched off (not sure exactly how long, but once the error is cleared it doesn't re-occur if the camera is switched off and then within a few minutes switched back on).

It's not just as shown in the youtube videos at 1/4000 Shuuter speed - I've now tested mine down to 1/2000 and it happens..

Right now I'm not a happy bunny!!

Anybody else got the problem?
    I'll be contacting Nikon, but I guess they'll want me to pay them to look at it!!!
    Could it be a firmware problem? (I recently installed the newest firmware).. If so is there a way I can roll the firmware back?

Cheers,
    Baldy :(

I did have a lock-up the other day, but mine was in low light so the shutter speed wasn't fast. The camera was bricked until I removed the battery which reset it.

I await further news or a firmware update.
    Always learning.
    Just want to report that I cannot duplicate this issue with my D750, that had the shutter replaced under the recent recall.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    edited April 2016
    PB_PM said:

Just want to report that I cannot duplicate this issue with my D750, that had the shutter replaced under the recent recall.

What firmware version does yours have, PB_PM?

Nikon have asked me whether it happens at slower speeds, so I'm going to test to see if I can find out the slowest at which it happens..
    Just tested 1/1600s and again the error.

It's a pain to test because I have to leave the camera off for a couple of hours, then switch it on and try and take a picture - if the error occurs, off then on then press the shutter to free it up thenswitch it off again and wait a couple of hours before I can test the next shutter speed!!

Cheers,
    Baldy.

Edit: PS: forgot to say, mine was in with Nikon last July for the shutter replacement but I'm not 100% convinced they actually replaced it (no new shutter unit listed on my paperwork??)
    Post edited by bald_eagle on
    Newest version of the firmware. If it was not, Nikon would have updated it during the recall service.
    I did the recall a while back and have latest firmware installed. Mine is a different fault though because the only thing that bought it back was pulling the battery.
    Always learning.