Using Nikon D7000 as a Full Frame?

So I recently purchased a Nikon D7000 thinking it was a Full Frame camera. When I received it I was very excited but soon found out it wasn't full frame. Now my dad has a D810, I put his FX mount lens on and it worked on the camera. So my question is I read a few forums where people said that the D7000 was 3/4 full frame? What exactly does this mean? I know when I put a FX mount lens on my old D3200 the camera wouldn't except the lens. (Gave error message saying lens not attached) So what do I do? I want to eventually upgrade to full frame but the 7000 I bought was pre-owned and non returnable. Can I use FX lenses on it? Or will using and buying FX lenses right now be pointless for this camera since it is not full frame? I shoot automotive photography and I would like killer quality images. Thanks guys!

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Unfortunately your D7000 is a crop sensor camera. It is capable, but not full frame. I am thinking what happened before is you mounted an older lens on the D3200 which isn't fully compatible will all the old lenses. However the D7000 is and you can use old and new FX (full frame) and DX (crop frame) lenses.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • EvanRoss21EvanRoss21 Posts: 4Member
    @tcole1983 Thanks for the feedback! So if the D7000 is capable of using FX mount lenses, is it worth buying FX lenses for the camera when its not designed to be used with this body? I've heard people say that lenses are investments but would I just be wasting my money buying a FX lens for this camera? Or should I stick to DX lenses? I am hopefully saving for a FullFrame camera in the future
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    if there's a lens out there with a focal length that works for you, and you don't already have that lens, then yes, you should buy it.

if you had a d3200 before, you must have had something similar to the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with it in almost all cases. use that lens to figure out what focal lengths you've used, and invest in the lenses of your most commonly used focal lengths, fx or dx, if you have the budget.

what do you shoot? what do you hope to capture with photography? do you want a full frame camera, or do you need a full frame camera?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2016
    The D810 is a good camera of course.. but the D7000 and the D3200 are not too bad too!!

What lenses do you currently use? what lenses do you have access to (your dads?) and what lenses are you planning to get?

As @starralazn asks what do you shoot?("automotive" as in cars in showrooms or races on race tracks? or portraits of people at the race tracks models, driver, etc ).. and why do you think you need/want a Full frame FX camera?

FX lenses are made for and should work with DX cameras ! So which lenses did you try that did not work? I have 4 DX cameras and an FX camera and all my FX lenses (9 of them) work with all my cameras.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have a D5100 (DX) and a second DX coming (D500) all my lenses are FX except two that are wide angle and ultra wide angle, I am planning a move to FX at some time and will shoot both FX and DX. They each have their strengths and I will use them accordingly. I buy all FX lenses except where DX is my best choice for that use or much more affordable.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Regarding the non-compatibility of FX lenses with DX, only lenses with built in auto focus motors would work with your entry level D3200, whereas they do work with the D7000 as that model has a second focus motor in the body. As a general guide, if the body has two control wheels under your thumb and forefinger, it is good to use with the old D type lenses whereas the D3xxx or D5xxx bodies are not compatible.

All Nikon auto focus f mount lenses work with D3xx, D5xx and D7xxx bodies.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited April 2016
    As far as lenses....if you plan to go full frame in the future don't invest in any more dx lenses unless absolutely crucial focal lengths for your needs. I have a combination of both. There isn't a downside to using an fx lens on a do body, but sometimes the focal length isn't optimized for do bodies...ie the zoom isn't wide enough or long enough. However it is possible to find a happy medium. I have the 17-55 dx as my zoom and then the 105 and 300 fx primes. Probably the hardest part when obtaining fx lenses is the wide end as most fx lenses only go to 24 mm which isn't that wide on dx.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    Thanks for the feedback guys! @tcole1983 the lenses I currently have for DX are my standard 18-55 3.5-5.6 ; 17-55 2.8 ; 18-105 3.5-5.6 ; 12-24 wide angle ; and a really old Sigma 18-50 2.8. As far as FX since my dad just got his D810 is a 24-120 4.0 and a 12-24 2.8. I do have a friend who wants to sell me his 35mm DX 1.8 which is a lens I really want. However I do want to eventually convert to a FX body, I've been shooting a while now with DX format (Hense why I have so many lenses) and I'm ready to move to the next level. I shoot Automotive mostly private photoshoots of people's car. Alittle bit of car events and a little bit at the track.
    So my main question right now is since I prob won't be switching to FX for another year or so; is spending extra money on FX lenses pointless since I'm using it with a DX body? Is the FX lenses better in anyway other than that they are made
    For higher end cameras?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    If you are going to switch to FX in a year don't spend money on any lens that is not FX.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    FX lenses are typically better than DX lenses, though there may be individual exceptions. You can read my profile on Flickr for my views on this. Google westendfoto to find it.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    My DX lenses are a Tokina 11-20 and a Sigma 17-50. Shorter ones where FX is not as easy to get the Sigma took 77mm filters I already had for FX lenses. The Tokina was a new filter size but I opted for the longer zoom range over the 11-16. I have bought all FX from the beginning and it will still be a few years before I can get a FX body. I just like to plan as far ahead as I can. I feel it is less expensive in the long run.
    edited April 2016
    You have a good set of Dx lenses there.. and a lot of overlap. If you "go FX" i am not sure what you gain. in fact you lose alot of functionality and range. Your subjects do not seem to need any more functionality than what you have already. For example what would a 35mm F1.8 DX lense get you that you dont have already?

Consider what you feel you are missing. Only get a solution to fill a requirement, or else you will be just wasting money on random items that really do nothing more that what you already have. Look through your images and consider thoughtfully how you may have shot them better... you may discover if you just need more skills instead of more equipment. If you do need more equipment then buy. Lenses or accessories? example circular polarizer filters, reflectors, flashes...

If lenses, do you feel you need more reach or wider than you already have? Do you feel you need to get closer, or change perspective? Do you have a favorite focal length? most of us do, get the best lense that covers that focal length and use case.. eg: if 3 different people like 50mm one may get the 55mm Otis another the 24-70 and another the DL 18-50 just because of use case requirements. Photography is fun and very diverse, you dont need every lense because you wont be using every focal length and perspective. We as individuals are not that diverse.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    What you need to do is take your dad's 810 and claim that he is providing for his family ;)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I don't quite follow this ..dad owns a D810 but is not advising you..??? Your D3200 had much better image quality than the D7000 you have bought..(I have owned both) ..do I smell a rat here??? I have never heard DX described as 3/4 FX....

Automobile ?? Racing or static???/

Getting old and Sceptical
    edited April 2016
    @Pistnbroke I dont think age as much to do with skepticism :wink:

I dont smell a rat. More likely a young padawan who met a ferengi .. (lol mixing my starwars/startrek analogies)

but You are right .. several choices that seem illogical or just not wise that seem to point to an inexperienced excitable new photographer(and slightly rash) that need good guidance.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I go with the rat.

I go with the rat.

Ha. The person 6 months ago I would have called a troll is calling someone else one. I guess that means you aren't one!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @tcole1983: You Americans still struggle with the English sense of humour - LOL! :)
    Always learning.
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I have D7200 and two lenses FX 85mm f/1.8 and DX 40mm Micro Nikkor f/2.8 I use 85mm as portrait and headshot then I use 40mm as wide angle and macro and also general purpose walk-around lens. Hope this helps.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,