Scam Warning for all.

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
If you have an internet site offering photographic services you are open to the scams of Mr Greety.
Originally common in the US with psychotherapists being scammed he has moved to photographers.
Goes like this ....I live in Canada...daughter getting married in UK ..quote me ....great can I book you/send a deposit?
Yes send me £750...........Cheques arrives from his friend Garry in Torronto ( address is a plot of vacant land) for £5700 drawn on a French company Sarl KTK Services ( block of flats in down town Paris ) Oh yes my friend Garry sent too much ..we are in Mexico and need the £5000 for the air fare to the wedding can you send it to us.....Bank would not take the cheque when asked if they wanted to investigate but I am playing him along ..5-10 days to clear.....

Well I knew it was a scam when they said the wedding was at a private house ( you cannot do that in the UK)
But I like to play with this type of person

Comments

• paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Get these quite often Its a pity the time and effort they put into these scams was not spent on a proper job, Still perhaps thats above their comprehension.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, I had the same scammer come on to me a few weeks ago. He is well documented on the 'net.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    We get lots of "I am manager or Nigerian bank with $50,000 in deceased estate"
    But not often so targeted ..I always go along with any wedding enquiry until I see the colour of there money....
    I was instantly in 'shields up' mode. His grammar was not correct which is very common these days but his lack of correct methods of addressing me clinched it so I went looking and found he was scum.
    Always learning.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    As a principle, I do not consider/respond to any offers less than $25million from Nigerian princes. Not worth the effort .....
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Seriously, I get I need to get a quote for 100 metal frames w/glass and backing. Please let us know what credit cards you accept...

Several times a week.

What I've been having issues with is hijack/encryption attachment coming in with emails. It over 10 per day. It would only take one to wreck you day. It's gotten so bad I've installed a filter to not accept and email with an attachment from anybody.

framer
    Can you share more detail about these attachments with us please @framer?
    Always learning.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    These emails come with a header saying invoice or your order was sent... It come looking like you bought something from a place you deal with. To see the invoice-order you need to open the attachment. If you do your files are encrypted and you will see a pop up that tells you to pay to get your computer back.

My wife thought I was being ridiculous insisting on no attachment getting to the computer. Then her work was hit $$$$ was the cost.

Another scam. A friend that deals with paying bills got an email asking to wire some money for a client. This was real and confirmed with a phone call; however, someone read that message and sent them a second email requesting it be sent to a different bank. It was then sent to the 2nd bank's address and moved off shore quickly. Were talking about a 5 figure amount gone.

Now let me put my aluminum foil hat on and go to work...

framer
    Yikes.
    Always learning.
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    The BBC had an item on this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36086055

Advice - send a small irregular amount like £1.23 then PHONE to check it has arrived and how much and where from.

Only if all answers match send the rest.

J
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I have not heard from him since I said I was using the $5000 for a cruise to New Yor k and the Bahamas in the QE2......happy days
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yup, been there done that.....I had three checks for over $50,000....from several years ago when i sold some motorcycles....
    I searched the bank, compared with info on the checks and discovered errors. Also, the phone numbers on the checks may be a cell phone, not that of the bank.
    Interesting that on one fake check it stated if the watermark is not present the check is void....and, no watermark.

Maybe this thread can be named, "How photographers are scammed".... ?
    Msmoto, mod
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I always regard Cheques has pieces of paper. They are not valid unless your bank accepts them has Cleared Funds, preferably in writing.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member