NR Wiki?

Its been a good 6-7 years since we were last discussing implementing a wiki..

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=53
http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=473

So anyone interested to get it going again?
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Perhaps it's just me, but have the newbie questions died down a bit?
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    there are some newbies that pop in with questions, add like 1 or 2 responses, and never add a follow up to their solution/findings(and also never come back to the forums)...
    this happens like once a week or so
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I am trying to understand how a wiki would be helpful here.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2016
    @Snowleopard I believe the original idea was to stem the flow of.. "I just bought xxx, what is this function or that etc" type questions. In some cases there would be 5-10 new threads a week about the same thing, from new users. Since the decline of DSLR sales started a few years ago the amount of such threads has also slowed, so I don't really see the need for it now either.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited April 2016
    @Snowleopard and @PB_PM .. A wiki is like an encyclopedia, a knowledge repository. So its mainly for reference knowledge .. like i dunno ... say..
    1) a list of Nikkor lenses not to get ! and why.
    2) Links to favorite test sites.
    3) Links to good reference (eg MIR and KenRocwell)
    4) List of good lenses with good Bokeh
    5) List of sharpest Nikkor/3rd party lenses
    6) Reviews by NR members. of Cameras, Lenses, Gadgets
    7) Articles by NR members. eg how to do Focus calibration, Birds by @Coastalconn, how to annoy the Mods, best setting for BIF, Macro focus stacking, super-resolution, etc, etc ..
    8) List of lenses that are weather resistant - at various levels - list that extends/ and those that have internal AF/Zoom that don't change size.
    9) That discussion on High level Astro gear with purpose built structures ..
    10) Basic Noobie Info articles.

We may have a member volunteer to reference a Forum thread in the Wiki article and then provide a summary with the main points. Continued discussion can go on in the forum thread. and as you know our threads do tend to meander. There are lots of nice nuggets of info buried in the years that this forum has been running..
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Strikes me as a lot of effort. Newbies will always sign-up and ask their questions rather than search NR/RTFM/research the net then probably go way I reckon.

I can see it being useful though, but less so to newbies.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think there are so many combinations and permutations it'd be hard to write a wiki.

The soccer mom is going to have different needs to someone who wants to do sports photography as opposed to someone who wants to do macro or birding. Then you need to factor in budget and size requirements. It's a lot of work. Not impossible, but a lot of work.

Plus, every time you have new cameras coming out, you're going to need to update every article.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I administered the Wiki we used at work, the software package was Confluence and I know a number of companies that use Lotus Domino; but I assume we are looking at free open source stuff that is not as easy to work with?
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I forgot about the webpage part of that too. I wrote a Wikipedia article once on wikipedia before, it wasn't fun because you need to know a whole bunch of HTML which isn't really self evident either. Basically you just open another wiki article and copy and paste all the formatting you want. Clunky and weird.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I kinda wish MIR was setup better, that is an impressive resource that I have used forever.