Opinions on what would you do in this situation with a vender

2»

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    It sounds like their older stuff was better. Although the plate had their initials on it in really thin letters that would smash down and there'd be very little rubber actually touching the camera and thus would come loose fairly quickly and then you'd have to go look for a coin or whatever to tighten it back up lol.

Just these kind of basic things that are common sense make me seriously doubt "they" were the ones who came up with the design and everyone ripped them off as I heard was the story.

Yes Dave, I saw it and that is why I said all the above about the cast unnecessary features causing lack of engagement. My pic is the older better version of your new cr@p.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator

Look how much more of the plate yours grabs onto compared to the one I had... Mine was "just the tip" lol

04-21-2016-Guest_Image

I may have some experience with ARCA Swiss plates, clamps, see
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/136/arca-swiss-conversions-of-tripod-heads/p1

Having looked at the photo...the camera plate is not the same as an ARCA Swiss plate. If this were sold as ARCA Swiss, I believe I would have returned it immediately.
    Msmoto, mod
    They keep changing the info on it so it's hard to know. Like right now they've removed it from the general specs but if you keep looking you'll come across

Ballhead Control Pan & Lock
    Ballhead Height 87mm
    Base Width 41mm
    Ball Diameter 30mm
    Ballhead Weight 236g (262g with Plate)
    Direct Load Capacity* 160kg
    Operational Load Capacity 37kg
    Plate Size 38mm Peak Design / Arca compatible
    Plate Weight 26g

Since I basically got this on a Friday, I couldn't have returned it until Monday and by then the damage had already been done and I contacted them to know how I felt about it and was told they'd make it right and upgrade me to a pro series when the new ones came out. I just didn't realize what a joke this would become but at least it's a learning experience i guess.

The head wasn't the only issue either.., Actually thinking about it now there was an issue with pretty much every piece of it except 1 bolt... that's just sad
    Msmoto said:

Having looked at the photo...the camera plate is not the same as an ARCA Swiss plate. If this were sold as ARCA Swiss, I believe I would have returned it immediately.

• PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    An old D700 is hardly worth $600-700. You have not said much about the lenses but you did say they were crappy. Aren't you asking a bit too much when you want a $3000 brand new D810 as replacement ?

Maybe if you were more reasonable, it could be easier to get something from them. And you obviously have not broken the 2 lenses simultaneously. They can always argue that - having seen the tripod lock malfunction, why you insisted on using and breaking another lens.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2016
    Yes send 85 pages to the court ...fastest way to loose ..850 words and 3 back up documents ....The court will only agree to replace like with like and you will not be permitted "betterment"
    Papermans comment above is 100% right on the nail....I think the company have decided that due to your location (not in UK) verbosity and lack of focus they will be unlikely to have to pay you anything.
    If you truly want compensation fill in the court forms KISS and sit back and wait.
    PS ..a county court judgement/county court bailiffs will get you nothing..give them two weeks from judgement move it up to the High Court and send in the Sheriffs
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Well it says there 'Direct Load Capacity 160kg' which is 350lb in your money, and no way your gear comes to a tenth of that so you have them. Take a screen-shot of the spec before they downgrade it.
    Always learning.
    Repair quote from Nikon for the camera damage , same for one of the lenses.
    Statement from them saying they will compensate you ....that's all you need...now go get them !!
    I know what you're saying but let's be clear on this... I didn't ask for anything other than for them to make it right. THEY offered to repair or replace the gear. So it started out as just replacing the gear (Nikon said it'd cost too much to repair all 3 of them) and then escalated.

Here's parts of email trail

Sorry for the delay in getting back... Been trying to find another D700 with as much shutter life left as mine has but there's not many (at least at reputable stores or ones I can see in person) and are available.

Them

If you need to go up a model 7100 / 7200 with a lower shutter count and this OK for you, then go for it. As mentioned we'll make this right for you.

However... Before you say that realize that it's a D700 not a d7000, Don't get me wrong as I won't say no lol...

I guess what's your thoughts on that now?

Them

Same position. If you can't replace the D700 then go up to one that you can live with.

Well that leaves the d750 or d800.. ******* has refurbished ones and they are the same price, between those it'd be the d750

Them

Will you be able to get the lens at the same time? It'll make it easier if I can process the reimbursement in one go. Not urgent timewise, but I'll have to refund the camera and lens as a single payment with all of the relevant documentation.

Ok so at this point Nikon had the sale on with either the d750 w/24-120 or d810 w/24-120 for basically the same price as a used or refurbished one so that made the most sense and they agreed.

And the two lenses were a 70-300mm vr and a 24-120mm

There's a lot more discussion about this all obviously (85 pages) but they were the ones who ok'd everything along the way. Multiple times I even made carts for them with the items I was ok with and gave them the opportunity to pick which items they thought were acceptable and they refused every time and just told me to just buy whatever I wanted, send them the receipts and they'd paypal me the money but I don't have that much money available to do that and a even when we'd decided on the items (which they were perfectly fine with) all they had to do was go on and check out of the cart which would have been quicker than just paypaling anyway and without the fees.

Again... I didn't ask for anything, I only followed what they told me to do

Of course both lenses weren't attached but I figured the first time it could have been user error and the second time it was just sitting inside and off it went. The first time it was also pitch black so i didn't know what the issue was. I certainly didn't expect the head to have that kind of problems.

As far as being more reasonable.... I felt through out the whole process that I have been very reasonable and even though they told me a d810 was ok I opted for the d750 packaged and take part of the amount saved from d810 and add that to the other lens and upgrade that to a used 70-200 f4.... which still saved them a good chunk of change over what they had ok'd for the last month and a half prior.

Hopefully that makes more sense to you. I realize that it sounds far fetched but it's what they offered and not one but two people.

They offered, I accepted... can't blame me for that.

Paperman said:

An old D700 is hardly worth $600-700. You have not said much about the lenses but you did say they were crappy. Aren't you asking a bit too much when you want a $3000 brand new D810 as replacement ?

Maybe if you were more reasonable, it could be easier to get something from them. And you obviously have not broken the 2 lenses simultaneously. They can always argue that - having seen the tripod lock malfunction, why you insisted on using and breaking another lens.

It's just a small thing Dave, but if you type your reply under the quote text, it will appear more logical.
    Always learning.
    Hopefully the lawyer will just deal with it :p i'm tired of it

Repair quote from Nikon for the camera damage , same for one of the lenses.
    Statement from them saying they will compensate you ....that's all you need...now go get them !!

It's just a small thing Dave, but if you type your reply under the quote text, it will appear more logical.

email habit

Well it says there 'Direct Load Capacity 160kg' which is 350lb in your money, and no way your gear comes to a tenth of that so you have them. Take a screen-shot of the spec before they downgrade it.

Especially later when they told about the known issues and why it and all their current line was suddenly discontinued... again

Yes send 85 pages to the court ...fastest way to loose ..850 words and 3 back up documents ....The court will only agree to replace like with like and you will not be permitted "betterment"
    Papermans comment above is 100% right on the nail....I think the company have decided that due to your location (not in UK) verbosity and lack of focus they will be unlikely to have to pay you anything.
    If you truly want compensation fill in the court forms KISS and sit back and wait.
    PS ..a county court judgement/county court bailiffs will get you nothing..give them two weeks from judgement move it up to the High Court and send in the Sheriffs

I never said I wouldn't be fine with that and I found a d700 with acceptable milage but the guy wouldn't go less than $1500. The problem with finding a d700 now is finding one that hasn't been through war and used and abused and without hundreds of thousands of clicks on it.
    I am not going to comment again ..you have been told what to do under English law so stop talking and just do it ....my head is as blown as yours
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There is "the right way" and "the wrong way" and then "the legal way". These are all different, and when you are in the legal arena, you play by the rules, as crazy and stupid and arcane as it may seem. If you do that, you will win.

Here in the USofA, the quickest way to win in small claims court is to show up. Half the time the other party doesn't, and you win by default.

In the court of public opinion the 85 pages of email matter. In a real court, everyone will glaze over. You need to make a succinct argument in a clear and precise manner. The rest is backup. Three pages, three bullets per page. The average adult attention span is 15min. After that the mind wanders...

I know nothing of British law, but @Pistnbroke seems to have some experience in the matter. Follow his suggestions to the letter and I'm sure you will get a check, or a shipping container full of tripods you can sell to recoup your losses. It almost doesn't matter what your opinion is, or how bad you feel. The court is a machine, give it the right inputs, you get the right outputs. You need to be detached, not emotional, and treat it if you are just a lawyer representing your client.
    OK, well I'd say this thread has achieved all it can now, and looks only to go round in circles so I hereby declare it closed.

@daveznspace: Feel free to post on 'too lazy to start a new thread' with a short summary of the outcome from the courts.
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.