Capture NX-D

perkedelperkedel Posts: 19Member
edited June 2015 in Nikon Software
I downloaded the Nikon Capture NX-D and the ViewNX-i. Initially the ViewNX-i was crashing, but I got it to work by setting the shortcut to run as admin. I used the View NX2 previously.
The NX-D, however, will not even start. I'm getting "Initialization Error! (E010)" code.

Anyone seen this? This is on Win 8.1 Enterprise, 24GB RAM with 1GB free disk space, Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB video card.

I have PS CS 6 and LR 5.7. Should I even bother with the NX-D?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2015

I have PS CS 6 and LR 5.7. Should I even bother with the NX-D?
    Unless you have a camera that is not supported by those programs, don't bother with NX-D, or ViewNX-i for that matter. Neither will do anything that Lightroom or Photoshop cannot do better.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Except a better RAW converter and automatic application of picture controls. If those sorts of things matter to you. @perkedel, I would first try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. If you re-run the install program it should give you the option to uninstall. Did you download the latest version from the Nikon web site?
    edited June 2015
    Except a better RAW converter and automatic application of picture controls.
    You forgot to add "In my opinion." ;) NX-D is among the worst RAW converter for Nikon NEF files, IMO. :D And yes I tried it and other RAW converters as well. Moving on...
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    "Neither will do anything that Lightroom or Photoshop cannot do better." You also forgot to add "in my opinion" which is why I felt the need to add my own opinion to the mix ;-) To each his own, I hope that @perkedel gets it working so he or she can have their own opinion!
    edited June 2015
    Each has it's strengths and weaknesses, to believe otherwise is naive or uninformed. Let's take this outside :-)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    The only good thing about NX-D is the price - aka free. Otherwise, just about anything out there is better. I've never used a less intuitive, slow, and just downright poorly designed piece of software outside of other Nikon software.
  • perkedelperkedel Posts: 19Member
    I would first try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. If you re-run the install program it should give you the option to uninstall. Did you download the latest version from the Nikon web site?
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, same with the C++ redistributable that it seems to need.
    I like the ViewNX, it's quick to do a review compared to ACR.
    I feel the same way about the adobe products, and I use them all, but that's again, just an opinion. If you want something slower, less intuitive, and more poorly designed than even the adobe crap, try AutoCAD.
    As an example of a few things that NX-D does that adobe likely never will are auto correction of the PD lens flare, automatic processing of the dust-off reference photos, and the astro-noise reduction.

I would first try uninstalling and reinstalling the program. If you re-run the install program it should give you the option to uninstall. Did you download the latest version from the Nikon web site?
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, same with the C++ redistributable that it seems to need.
    I like the ViewNX, it's quick to do a review compared to ACR.
    There is no C++ module needed. At what point does it ask for that? Did you download version 1.2.1? Did you also install the picture control utility? This gets automatically installed if you just take the defaults. Did you have any previous versions installed? Very strange...
    edited June 2015
    I'm using version 1.2.1 downloaded from nikonusa.com.
    When installing Capture NX-D, it installed the VC++ 2012 x64 redistributable.
    Looking at what's installed today, it's included with NX-D.

I'm just going to give up on the NX-D, and I'll use the NX-i. I figure the LR and PS are working so I'm covered on the PC.
    Both work on the Mac though, I guess it's fine since I don't have Mac licenses for LR/PS, so the NX-D and NX-i will do.
    Post edited by perkedel on
    @perkedel, I do see the c++ module as well, I thought it was something you were installing separately.
    One ladt thing to try. From a command line (cmd.exe) invoke the executeable directly and pass a single file in a folder directly. Probably best to create a new folder and drop a file in there. You can cut and paste this in:

"c:\Program Files\Nikon\Capture NX-D\Module\CaptureNX-D.exe" c:\test\test.jpg

This will fire up CNX-D loading only one file. Worth a shot anyway.
    Thanks Ironheart, I've uninstalled it.
    I installed the same software on my work computer, and they worked! I didn't need to run as admin on the View NX-i like I have at home.
    Not sure why though, both are running Win 8.1 Enterprise x64. Oh well.
    The reason I suggested the above is because by default it try's to map and read every JPEG on your system. By supplying a file name it will only open that one file. You might have a corrupted JPEG on your home system, and the above would eliminate that possibility.
    Yup, I did that to a wallpaper jpg file in a different drive and it didnt' work. I looked at process monitor and event viewer, there's nothing there that is out the ordinary.
    What a strange problem.
    So I tried this again: I created a new profile, removed the vc 2010/2012 that came with the package and reinstall. It seems to be working now. It crashed initially when accessing my picture folder, but the second time I run it, it loads okay. Doesn't seem to be very robust, but at least it's working :D
    What a pain, I had to move all my stuff like browser profile, pics, music, movies, photoshop action/brush, and lightroom presets to the new profile just to get this to work.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Try updating your video driver .. if you have the problem again. Sometimes its that, especially with image processing programs.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• AlexAlex Posts: 1Member
    edited April 2016
    Have had the same problem on a iMac. Get a Initialization Error! (E002) when trying to open the app. It installed ok without throwing any errors. Nikon does'nt have a solution to this problem. I have installed the app on two other MacBook's without a problem, but it does'nt want me to run it on an iMac. Will reinstall old version from a Time Machine back up to use in place of it until Nikon can come up with a stable version.
    Post edited by Alex on
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    My input here is first off the best raw editor IMO is capture one.. hands down. Lightroom is great for cataloging, tagging etc... but for starters it screws up the cameras intended colors and adobe is too damn lazy for get something close and blame it on nikon, canon, etc.., while others get it really close. Plus LR really muddies your images up, they're aren't crisp and clean like capture one (oddly i use lr more just because i'm already in there).

Plus just about every adobe update screws something up badly. This time it won't recognize the lens and it's non-stop agony with them.

NX-D is a pain to use but has some hidden gems like the astro noise reduction but if I want try Nikon colors I will just open up nx-d and straight output the files to tiff then edit in lightroom or capture one. The reason is that while nx-d kinda sucks that it has nikons formula for processing the images just like in camera (which is where they get better results from sony sensors than sony does) and if you use things like active-d lighting they will get properly added. Lightroom ignores all the "little" things you can add and just importing the images you can tell just because of how much duller they are.

As far as your issues right now, Im not sure what to tell you but I do know the mac version has some bugs, luckily mine works ok still though.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    edited April 2016
    Nikon is really stinky when it comes to raw data..... That is why I hate using LR and PS. All the colors come out looking washed out like Nikon's main compeditor..... cough, cough.... :-)

Never had issues with Nikons software on my pc's, not sure what to tell you.

I have downloaded the Capture One trial a few times and the learning curve is almost like LR, I hate it, but I guess if I knew how to use Capture One, I would buy it and be happy with it.

Absolutely hate the cataloging in LR...... Growing up with the original mac's.......... Folder DCIM>D810>D810101,102,103,etc......> Lake,Wedding, Model such and such.....

Just keep it simple like that, it also keeps the photo's in the order you shot them in..... LR tires to dummy proof stuff so much that it is stupid.
    Post edited by Snowleopard on
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

Nikon is really stinky when it comes to raw data..... That is why I hate using LR and PS. All the colors come out looking washed out like Nikon's main compeditor..... cough, cough.... :-)

I have downloaded the Capture One trial a few times and the learning curve is almost like LR, I hate it, but I guess if I knew how to use Capture One, I would buy it and be happy with it.

Absolutely hate the cataloging in LR...... Growing up with the original mac's.......... Folder DCIM>D810>D810101,102,103,etc......> Lake,Wedding, Model such and such.....

Just keep it simple like that, it also keeps the photo's in the order you shot them in..... LR tires to dummy proof stuff so much that it is stupid.

I actually like lr's cataloging and tagging... it's the only reason I even use it anymore.

When I NEED my Nikon colors to be right I just load them into nx-d and straight output to 16bit tiff that I can import into lightroom/photoshop or capture one and have the true colors. Lightroom and ps ignore a lot of the camera settings as well (like active d lighting) because it doesn't know what to do with them and they're too damn lazy to figure it out and as usual they just blame nikon. However, Nikons not about to give adobe or anyone else their magic sauce for processing a raw.

The other thing that pisses me off about lr is it really mushed the image up and it's sharpening is god awful but worst of all and strangely when using prophotorgb you get a lot of banding.. which you use prophotorgb to specifically get better transitions but as usual adobe f**ks that up as well.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member

I actually like lr's cataloging and tagging... it's the only reason I even use it anymore.

When I NEED my Nikon colors to be right I just load them into nx-d and straight output to 16bit tiff that I can import into lightroom/photoshop or capture one and have the true colors. Lightroom and ps ignore a lot of the camera settings as well (like active d lighting) because it doesn't know what to do with them and they're too damn lazy to figure it out and as usual they just blame nikon. However, Nikons not about to give adobe or anyone else their magic sauce for processing a raw.

The other thing that pisses me off about lr is it really mushed the image up and it's sharpening is god awful but worst of all and strangely when using prophotorgb you get a lot of banding.. which you use prophotorgb to specifically get better transitions but as usual adobe f**ks that up as well.
    I just cancelled my Creative Cloud subscription and decided after 2 weeks using Capture One to drop Adobe completely.

I still will keep Nikon Capture and Nikon View on the computer though.

||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Well I just downloaded NX-D and it just crashes. Thought it would work by now. Should I have downloaded NX-i with it instead of keeping viewNX 2. I'm on windows 10. Is anyone using NX-D ?
    How does it crash? What is the error message?
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Ironheart anything you do it stops responding and things start flashing all over the screen then it stops and you click on something else and things go south again. I've uninstalled NX.D and will try again this afternoon. No error message.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Parke1953 said:

Well I just downloaded NX-D and it just crashes. Thought it would work by now. Should I have downloaded NX-i with it instead of keeping viewNX 2. I'm on windows 10. Is anyone using NX-D ?

@Parke1953 - I am using NX-D to process RAW (NEF) images before exporting to Lightroom. I am using a Windows 10 computer and have had no problems. Corrupt file(s)?
    Occasionally a decent image ...