The Top 5 DSLRs of 2016 – So Far

s.smiths.smith Posts: 18Member
Here are 5 of the latest DSLRs that are getting great reviews, to help you sort through the sea of them out there.

https://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/6495-the-top-5-dslrs-of-2016-so-far

Comments

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    s.smith said:

Here are 5 of the latest DSLRs that are getting great reviews, to help you sort through the sea of them out there.

https://www.photographytalk.com/photography-articles/6495-the-top-5-dslrs-of-2016-so-far

I'm not sure if I agree at all with that list, especially the Canon T5 as the "top camera". None of these cameras were released in 2016, so am not sure what this list is really aimed at other than perhaps trying to generate sales of some cameras that may soon be updated within a year or have had their prestige upstaged by newer cameras. Yes some of them are great cameras, but am I really going to recommend to everyone I know to rush out and buy a Canon 5DM3 knowing it is going to be replaced in the fall?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The only thing that matters to me is what the best camera is for me. And that might be a different answer depending on the situation. None of the cameras in this list would make it to my list.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    What happened to the Pentax K1? That's probably one of the better DSLR options you could get now, if you disregard the mount.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    The mount is the point. What use is a wicked photon detector if the photon manipulators are junk. However, that said the K1 is compelling and I am glad that Pentax is in the game.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 @WestEndFoto I think the top 5 list was based off Amazon sales figures. Just because everyone is buying something doesn't make it good...
  • nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I own D7200 and didn't regret buying it. Even after the D500 announcement Glad to see that it is on the list.
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
    edited May 2016
    Likely right Ironheart. Perhaps a better question is what would your favorite camera be? For me it would be an D810 for IQ, a DF for fun and a Coolpix A when I am wearing a suit (it fits in a pocket discreetly). So ideally I would own all three.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @WestEndFoto You have 2 out of three right?
    My favorite camera is the Phantom v2512 with a Nikon F-mount. Shoots up to 1,000,000 fps. Only set you back $150K.
    For DSLRs it would be the D500 (got it) and the D820. I really want a D5 without the full sized body (i.e. the built-in battery grip).
    Geez. I wonder if the D6 will come close to this Phantom v2512?
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Seems like the K1 paired with any of the Sigma Art Series lens would be a pretty strong system, especially considering the total cost.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    In the current Nikon system I think a D500 and/or a D5 with a D7200 and/or a D810 would be hard to beat.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    vtc2002 said:

Seems like the K1 paired with any of the Sigma Art Series lens would be a pretty strong system, especially considering the total cost.

The Pentax autofocus looked off for action:
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited May 2016
    @manhattanboy I have seen this video before and I believe it was a pre release version of the camera. You may be right about the autofocus issue with action photography I have not researched the camera in any depth. In fairness the D800/810 are not designed to shoot action either and autofocus is a challenge. The D500 or better yet the D4 or D4S (D5 probably) would be the proper camera. I know Sigma released a hardware update to correct several issues. I have not had a chance to play with the K1 but the reviews that I have seen their first attempt at a full frame DSLR it is a pretty good starting point. The D810 in my opinion is what Nikon should have released instead of the D800. If Pentax/Ricoh makes the same level of improvement that Nikon made it should be a good camera for someone that is not heavily invested in Nikon or Cannon lens.
    I agree with @WestEndFoto that the Pentax DSLR lenses are not close to being the best. I am amazed to see people that have the D800/D810 that put some of Nikon poorest quality lenses and produce images that look like they were taken with a D90. I have not seen the reviews on the new Pentax lenses but one would hope they are making lenses that will support the sensor in the K1.
    I agree with @retread. I have been playing with the D500 for about 10 days and seriously thinking buying one to supplement my D810's. The combination will fill all of my photography needs for some time. I will most likely pass on the D820 unless it blows that socks off of the D810. If I had unlimited resources I might consider adding the K1 but I have cameras now that are collecting dust so adding another one would not be a wise decision.
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have a D500 in repair in LA from a fall. Yep I broke a new camera. Not a smart thing to do.

When I can afford a D810 or what may replace it I may be done buying cameras. They should fill all my needs.

I was really liking the D500 and anxious to get it back.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    :'(
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.