Dropped lens need to be replace...

framerframer Posts: 491Member
edited May 2016 in General Discussions
I let my wife use my 17-35 AFS f/2.8 lens and through no fault of hers the strap fitting failed. I kid you not her d3200 survived without a scratch. My 17-35 2.8 did not fair so well. The zoom ring is stiff but still works, not smoothly.

A. Choices are sell cheap on ebay and get something else.

B. Have it repaired and keep it.

I'm thinking "A" and am considering a 16-35mm AFS VR f/4 or the 14-24 ASF f/2.8. The older 17-35 works great on my D3s but is showing it age on my D810. I'm thinking the 16-35 would be a better general UWA but have always wanted the 14-24. I also own a 15 Ais f/3.5 that works great when needed for interiors. The one thing I always liked about the 17-35 was the focus speed. Is the 16-35 close to the same focus speed?

framer

Post edited by framer on

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Why not A&B? It will only cost shipping to send it in and get an estimate. You might be pleasantly surprised. Get the 14-24 and be happy. Then save up for the 24-70 :naughty:
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That is what I was thinking Ironheart.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The 17-35 is really not a good lens with the D810 that's why I gave it to the wife to replace her kit lens. She could use it, "as is", because it still works. Don't tell her that...

framer

• picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I'm not a fan of the 16-35/4 on my D810. I use a 24-85VR for a mid-zoom so the 24-35 part isn't necessary. I prefer carrying the 20/1.8G - smaller, 2+ stops faster and sharper. If I really need wider, I add the SamyangRokinon 14/2.8. The 16-35 is too big and heavy for what it does for me. I'd rather bite-the-bullet (size, money and no filter) and use the 14-24 - no one ever seems to complain optically about that lens.
    pictureted at flickr
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    I'm not a fan of the 24-85VR on my D800, haha. but then again i don't really like midrange zooms in general
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm very surprised that nobody here mentions the Sigma 24-35 f2 much. It leaves other 24 - **/*** zooms in the dust.
    Always learning.
    I really do want a wider than 20 at the low end. I own a 20 f1.8 but was wanting something as wide and better than the 17-35.

framer
    I was just going through the picture the wife took that day and one stood out.

I knew the camera landed on the lens hood because it was broken into many pieces. What I didn't know was it had cause the camera to bounce and flip up, taking a photo of the back of my wife. The guy in the photo had not had time to react to hearing the crash. His reaction is what caught my eye before I knew it was my lens that had hit the concrete.

framer
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    framer said:

I was just going through the picture the wife took that day and one stood out.

I knew the camera landed on the lens hood because it was broken into many pieces. What I didn't know was it had cause the camera to bounce and flip up, taking a photo of the back of my wife. The guy in the photo had not had time to react to hearing the crash. His reaction is what caught my eye before I knew it was my lens that had hit the concrete.

framer

at least it got the shot! :D

Here's one I got during a time-lapse when (as usual when using 3 legged thing tripod) the camera randomly slid off that POS tripod during the exposure but by this time I had learned (after breaking 2 lenses and a d700) that the 3lt wasn't trustable and had it right off the ground over heavy grass... so it landed facing up.

With this lens sale going on I'm going to get the 14-24 f/2.8. I've totally checked out the 17-35 and with the exception of a slightly stiffer and not as smooth zoom ring it takes picture perfectly. The focus was spot on w/both the D810 and her D3200. So the wife can have it as/is. I guess it just gave me an excuse to get the new lens. I did get her a new lens hood. I may sell my 15mm f/3.5 Ais, may...

framer
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Hey, Daveznspace: that camera did one heck of a good AF track on your wife's back after it flipped. I wonder if a D5 would've taken 12 frames of her during that roll?