Better SC 28/29

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited May 2016 in Gear Reviews
well if you use a flash flipper you clearly need a short extension...I have been using the Yongnuo SC28 ..this has the locking catch which my wife keeps knocking to unlock ....She complains flash not always working ( Well I told you dear ..... ) so I purchased a Neewer SC29 and it has a great tamper proof lock and surprise surprise a built in Focus Assist Light ...all for about $15 ...We will give I the wife test and let you know.

PS
Now I am asking myself when does the light come on?? do I have to have a flash connected or even switched on? and will it work with my SB 400? Not much sense on the Google
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When you have the centre focus point selected?
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You have to be in AF-S for sure. And I think you need a flash, but it can be disabled (made to not fire). Which camera? I can try with my actual SC29...
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2016
    Many thanks ...810 800..7100..3200...have not yet been able to get an output from the AF assist on the 7100..AF_S.. My SB 600 was stolen at an Asian Wedding so I only have SB400/ Meike and Yongnuo...when I bought it the advert did not say it had focus assist...I only wanted it because the wife kept knocking he latch on the old one.
    Have bought another ( £8.25 inc post !!!! ) for my 810 ...its very well made .
    edited May 2016
    Interesting Pistnbroke. Any chance you could ping me a link to that?

I'm also looking for a one-to-two SC28 or 29 if there is such a thing for my macro shots. IR triggering is not reliable in bright sun even a few inches away.
    2015-10-23 13.21.39
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited May 2016
    The cable I bought for £8.56 was this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381205822563?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I think you would be better using a Yongnuo FC 682 this goes into your hotshoe and feeds one flash via a cable but has another hot shoe on the top so you can put a second flash cable in . My experience is that you need two flash guns of the same make or for some reason it wont work ???/ The matching long cable to the FC682 is the SC 28A

PS checked its sold out everywhere ..I can post you the one I have and send it back when you can get one .....have not used it for a couple of years now have the YN622
    edited May 2016
    OK, thanks Pistnbroke. I'll buy an FC682 (I've found one) and use my other lead.

Excellent, thanks.
    Always learning.
    We never did work out here when the focus assist light on the SC 29 functions ??
    edited June 2016
    Amazon order cancelled. Seller had sold it and not updated listing :/

if anybody has a Yongnuo FC682 for sale, I will buy it.
    Always learning.
    have mine till you find one ...pm the address
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    When I pulled out my SC-29 the light went on, at least in my head. The switch on the flash end of the SC-29 turns the "AF-ILL" on, by extending the two pins into the contacts on the front of the flash.

Without a flash on the remote end, there is no power to run the AF-ILLumination lamp. With a flash, the SC-29 steals the power from the flash, also disabling the AF-ILL on the flash itself.
    Hope that helps.
    Brilliant Ironheart ...so what we discover is that a Neewer SC29 is not the same as a Nikon SC29 because the Neewer does not have the switch or pins ( and none of my yongnuo guns have the two contacts) .... So the Neewer is a great small extension lead with a very good lock on the camera shoe.
    Great work everyone.