Hasselblad beat Canon and Nikon to a professional Mirrorless camera Body

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    The X1D looks good, especially the size and hand-hold-ability. Note it is "small" medium format. Normal medium format is 54x40mm. The Pentex 645D ($7,000) is 44x33mm which is the same as this X1D ($9000). It would require a whole new lens mount and line of lenses for Nikon to follow suit with a medium format sensor. Yet, the design could be applied to an FX sensor body.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited June 2016
    At $8000, Hasselblad has a lot of convincing to do for people to pass up a D810.

I am not concerned.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    This camera actually looks pretty slick. It's as thin as a Sony with better IQ than the 810. That is probably what Nikon should have been aiming for with their Nikon mirrorless series to begin with.
    We will have to see just how much better the IQ will be. It seems a larger sensor always has an advantage. Perhaps the correct comparison test will be a comparison against the replacement for the D810 rather than a comparison to the D810.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    It will depend on the lenses, but the larger the format the better the IQ all things being equal.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I am sure Nikon are aware of this camera and lets hope when the new D8xxx comes out, It goes back on the top of the Pile. Competition is always good thing !!
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Well if you were doing fashion shoots you might buy one ...but I would need a 45-450mm lens JPEG which it does not have and at least 2-3 FPS to cut out blinkers. Be totally silent .So lets put it on the forget pile along with the D5 and the D500
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think a mirrorless medium format is a great thing. I have been dreaming about this before and I am happy that Hasselblad makes one.

If Nikon creates a new mount for a new series of professional mirrorless cameras I hope they consider a larger sensor. If they at some point in the future can make it at half the price of the Hasselblad X1D and with good af and resonable fps, I think it would sell very well.

The main advantage of medium format for me would be that it allows me to use a longer lense. For example an mf camera on an 800mm lense would allow for very hard cropping while maintaining good image quality, and at the same time capturing close birds without cutting of a wingtip. In other words, a larger sensor gives more freedom in post production.
    According to my list the X1D does shoot JPEG?
    edited June 2016
    paulr said:

According to my list the X1D does shoot JPEG?

Yes, that's what they said on the presentation. And up to 2.3 frames per second.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    An 800mm MF lens would be very, very costly!

Do you know how costly or big it would be? Maybe a 600/8 would come closer to reality?

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I was looking at the spec quoted on the WEX website ..but who cares got to win the lottery first ...Ha Ha
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited June 2016
    snakebunk said:

...... The main advantage of medium format for me would be that it allows me to use a longer lense. For example an mf camera on an 800mm lense would allow for very hard cropping while maintaining good image quality, and at the same time capturing close birds without cutting of a wingtip. In other words, a larger sensor gives more freedom in post production.

Won't you be losing that advantage due to the negative ( or more correctly - below 1.0 ) crop factor of the Medium Format ? 800mm on a MF would be like 500mm of a FF.
    Post edited by Paperman on
    Paperman said:

snakebunk said:

...... The main advantage of medium format for me would be that it allows me to use a longer lense. For example an mf camera on an 800mm lense would allow for very hard cropping while maintaining good image quality, and at the same time capturing close birds without cutting of a wingtip. In other words, a larger sensor gives more freedom in post production.

Won't you be losing that advantage due to the negative ( or more correctly - below 1.0 ) crop factor of the Medium Format ? 800mm on a MF would be like 500mm of a FF.
    If the pixel density is high enough I can crop to fx or dx format with equal resolution as if I had used an fx or dx camera. I hope that answers your question.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Well you know the pixel density, so is there any gain ?
    It all depends on the lenses. Sensor resolution is irrelevant if it exceeds lens resolution. Also, it I'd MF-Lite. I would be interested if it was MF-Heavy.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited June 2016
    snakebunk said:

Do you know how costly or big it would be? Maybe a 600/8 would come closer to reality?

Pentax made a 600mm f/4 MF lens, it cost $6000 when it was introduced (quite a bargain!)

Pentax Super Telephoto 600mm f/4 Takumar Lens for Pentax 67

Equivalent 35mm Focal Length 300mm
    Angle of View @ Infinity 8.5°
    Filter Size 77mm rear mount
    Elements/Groups 6/5
    Shutter Focal plane shutter built-in to all Pentax model 67 camera bodies. Speeds from 1/1000 to 1 second (4 seconds on 67II), B and T.
    f/Stop Range f/4 - 45 manual operation with click-stops
    Minimum Focus Distance 12m (39.4')
    Dimensions 370 x 170 mm (14.8 x 6.8") (LW)
    Weight 6000g (13.3lbs)
    Post edited by Ironheart on

I was looking at the spec quoted on the WEX website ..but who cares got to win the lottery first ...Ha Ha

If that happens I think I would be looking at better things
    I think that Nikon is waiting until the market takes form and competitors commit themselves to a solution, especially Canon. Then it will make a decision on format size. It may be an F-mount, but it might not be if Nikon decides to go to a larger format.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2016
    I think this camera only has a 0.8 crop factor. Still good of course, but a 800mm becomes a 640 not 500.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

@Ironheart: Cool info! It looks like long tele photography with mf is not impossible.
    Anything is possible, the problem is, at what cost can manufactures justify the production costs for what would probably be a limited market.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    With sufficient money you can do or make anything.

Fujinon makes a 101X zoom (8.3mm to 900mm F/1.7) for the TV business and you can have one for a cool $233,490. with free shipping from B&H. Or lease it for $7,900 per month! A deal at twice the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840667-REG/fujinon_xa101x8_9besm_tk_xa101x8_9besm_pf_2_3_precision_focus.html

But seriously, the reality is that there isn't sufficient demand to drive economical serial production in medium format for anything remotely outside of a narrow window of "common" high demand lenses.

Shot Mamiya 645 for 30 years. Been there, done that, have the Tee shirt.

Denver Shooter
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    It looks like a wedding camera to me.

It needs a 3rd lens and lets make that a zoom.

framer