Nikon V3 for cheap?

ghadiardjaghadiardja Posts: 25Member
Hi all,

There is currently an offer where I live (Sydney) for a refurbished Nikon V3 + 10-30 PD + EVF for less than AU$400 (US$300). This looks to be a bargain for what the V3 offers, especially with EVF thrown in. However, there is a lot of speculation over the demise of the 1 series, particularly following the announcement of the DL series this year.

Based on the existing lens offering, do you think it is worth buying into the 1 series at this stage? My current go-to set-up is a D750 but would like something smaller and more agile for travel and keep up with the kids.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

G.

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2016
    I saw it too!! :-) ... and was tempted. I have the V1 and its been good. I am also considering getting the DLs.

The D750 is really quite small for a Full frame camera. Just about perfect for "travel and keeping up with the kids". I dont think the V3 will give you much more in that regard. The advantage of the Nikon1 is the size/portability. Easy to have with you daily/everywhere. But, that's where the DL cameras also comes in. For many people the DL camera will easily supersede the Nikon1 for a daily/carry-about. Especially with the snapbridge technology. However, one of the strengths of the Nikon1 cameras is that they can use the Nikkor lenses! How much of an advantage that is is dependent on your interests. My 70-200 F4 on my V1 becomes a very nice Tele setup! 540mm FOV is nice!

There is also the N1 J5 which has the latest sensor(with BSI) to consider. Nice jump in sensor Image quality over the V3, like the DL cameras.

For me since I already have the V1 I will wait and hope there is a V4 on the way sometime, with all the goodies from the DL cameras. For you that v3 could be a nice deal for you to get into the N1 series. But it may not be a big advantage over your D750 for your intended use.

PS: I live in sydney too !! :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ghadiardjaghadiardja Posts: 25Member
    Hi heartyfisher! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and personal experiences with the 1 series. Glad to see another Sydney-sider in the midst :)

I decided to pull the trigger and buy the refurbished V3 kit. I have only used it briefly but initial impression of handling and image/video quality are good. The 20/30/60 fps burst mode is ridiculous (in a good way). Will definitely be handy with the kids.

One thing I have to disagree with you is the size difference. The V3 is significantly smaller with the kit lens. The form of the V3 is also less intimidating than the D750 so I'm excited to try street and candid shooting.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    This sounds like a great deal, but like you said, there have been grumblings about the discontinuation of the Nikon C-mount, especially with no new camera launches for a while.

If money isn't a problem, then certainly go for it. But I have a tight wallet and I find it hard to justify investing in a system where there might not be lens support.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    There is a pretty complete line of CX lenses already. What they need is a new body/sensor to unlock all of the goodness of the lens line. Personally I think they are holding out until after the DL release before releasing any new 1series gear.
    That's not a fair size comparison picture !! That tamron 24-70 is big with 82mm filters !! :-) ( I have one, nice lense )
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Ironheart said:

There is a pretty complete line of CX lenses already. What they need is a new body/sensor to unlock all of the goodness of the lens line. Personally I think they are holding out until after the DL release before releasing any new 1series gear.

I also think the earthquake isn't doing any favors to the 1 inch sensors, so since they can't even fulfill DL orders, they're not going to release new Nikon 1 cameras. Even if the 1 cameras don't do well, they could make it a new Nikonos camera. The waterproof Nikon 1 was very popular and should be updated.

It's a good concept, I hope they follow through with it. I'm sure it's great to shoot with, I just personally can't get behind backing a possibly dead format.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Still.. Nikon has not made many "dead" formats. ;-)

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator

Still.. Nikon has not made many "dead" formats. ;-)

Yeah, I guess that's where I'm coming from. They've put too much blood/sweat/tears into the CX mount, and there are some gems like the 32mm f/1.2 that prove they can make "high end" lenses at this size. I think they are just getting started (F-mount is nearly 70 years old) and there is a long life ahead, this is just a blip. I wouldn't hesitate to get into the format if you need the size/weight tradeoff.
    I've used mine for everything from Formula-1 to baseball, football, and sailing. When you can't/won't/don't want to drag a DSLR with a rage of lenses, I can get 2 bodies and 6 lenses in less than 6lbs inside my overhead bin carry-on.
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited September 2016
    That figure of $300.00 is the bottom end of the price curve for previous models as new models come to market in the N1 V line. This deal is exceptional because there is no V4 available yet. I think the Nikon 1 line will continue because it is more popular in the rest of the world than it is here in the US where we have a fixation on low light sensor capabilities and avoid the simple solution of using supplement light.

The low light capability of the Nikon 1 with the super wide zoom and VR is excellent. It takes superb night shots but does not stop motion without using external lighting. The 32mm f/1.2 is an incredible lens for portraits because of its speed, bokeh, and additional depth of field on the subject wide open.

For stationary wildlife and birds, the Nikon 1 V models get me close when I cannot physically get close using my FF and APS-C sensor bodies. I have 3 V series bodies and all the lenses excluding the PD series so somewhat familiar with what the V models can do for a photographer.
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    someone could make a few thousand dollars just buying at that price and selling on ebay at the going rate of almost $600
  • Nik0n2011Nik0n2011 Posts: 70Member
    i like the V3 and addons, but it costs like crazy, and if they make an even better camera what are they going to ask ? the moon ?