D750 Shutter just bit the dust

Fekking fekkity fek!!, I planned a shoot this weekend but my D750 shutter has just bitten the dust.
Under one year old and 7,000 actuations and I've gotten the dreaded 'err' message along with a jamming shutter.
Taken it into LCE today and the repair could be over 4 weeks. Anyone else had this on here?
D7000, 17-55 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 35 1.8

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Shutters fail, that's the nature of mechanical devices. Sometimes on the first shot, sometimes the 7,000th and sometimes the 200,000th, it just means your camera's shutter failed well under tested, and expected life cycle.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Which is why there is a warranty
  • Freedom7Freedom7 Posts: 13Member
    @PB_PM you’re right the shutter failed well under its expected lifecycle and you’re also right that it’s the nature of mechanical devices, I put it out there because I may not be the only one to suffer the issue on the D750, you never know…
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    PB_PM said:

Shutters fail, that's the nature of mechanical devices. Sometimes on the first shot, sometimes the 7,000th and sometimes the 200,000th, it just means your camera's shutter failed well under tested, and expected life cycle.

Normally, PB_BM, I'd have entirely agreed with you, but, in the case of the D750, I think there has been a general problem with early shutter failure..
    Mine is one of the earliest batches manufactured and has also needed to have the shutter replaced because of the "Err" problem and sticking shutter on the first shot after switching on - but only when the shutter speed was above 1/800s (the error cleared with a secod press of the shutter button and the camera would then function fine until it had been left switched off for some time).

Although the initial 1year warranty had expired, luckily for me Nikon replaced the shutter FOC.

If Nikon actually replaced the shutter last year when I sent it in for the "shutter shading" recall, it would have only had about 3500 clicks on it when the Err problem occurred
    If Nikon didn't replace the shutter for the recall ( I actually don't believe they did as no new shutter was listed on the paperwork when I got the camera back) then it would have been more like 8500 clicks...

Since there are lots of other people suffering with the same "Err" problem as I had - there's lots of youtube videos showing it - I think there is a general problem with the D750's shutter - and am hoping it was just a manufacturing/QA problem with the early batches (only managed to shoot around 1500 pics since getting the camera back, so keeping my fingers crossed!!)

@Freedom7: Does the "Err" on yours clear if you press the shutter button a second time?

Baldy. ;)

• Freedom7Freedom7 Posts: 13Member
    @bald_eagle Yep, it cleared on the second press, but then would lock out again on the third press. Shame, up to then no complaints with the 750. Have to give London Camera Exchange here in the UK a shout out too as they have loaned me a 7100 until the 750 comes back.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

PB_PM said:

Normally, PB_BM, I'd have entirely agreed with you, but, in the case of the D750, I think there has been a general problem with early shutter failure..
    First I've heard of it. Nikon recalled the shutter on the D750 for issues unrelated to failure. I should know I have one, and sent it in twice for two different recalls.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    PB_PM said:

First I've heard of it. Nikon recalled the shutter on the D750 for issues unrelated to failure. I should know I have one, and sent it in twice for two different recalls.

@PB_BM: Really, and yet you replied to my post of April 29 on the D750 General discussion thread..http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/comment/165534/#Comment_165534
    which I posted shortly after the issue was published on the main NR Blog..
    http://nikonrumors.com/2016/04/26/new-nikon-d750-err-shutter-issue-reported-online.aspx/

My D750 has now been returned to Nikon Service a total of 3 times now!!
    First for the "Flare" recall, second for the "Shutter Shading" Recall (where the shutter should have been replaced, although I'm not 100% convinced it actually was) and the third time because of this "Err" and shutter sticking problem and this time the repair paperwork stated that they had replaced the shutter....

Baldy. ;)

• Is the D750 shutter box used on any other Nikon DSLR's?