Canon EOS M5

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited September 2016 in Other Manufacturers
Pretty old news now, but I think some members on this forum own some EOS mirrorless cameras.

http://photorumors.com/2016/09/15/canon-eos-m5-camera-ef-m-18-150mm-f3-5-6-3-is-stm-and-ef-70-300mm-f4-5-5-6-is-ii-usm-lenses/

Here's hoping Nikon doesn't dump the 1 series.

Anyone planning on getting the EOS M5?
Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    all we want to know is how noisy it is ....no more clunk clunk D800's
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    There is no silent shutter. What's the point over an 80D? Honestly, can someone tell me because I cannot figure out what all the excitement is about.
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    I was very excited, up until I found out ISO is limited to 6400 max for videos. My D5500 can be set to 25600 for videos. The game changer in the M5 is Dual Pixel. AF as fast as a DSLR, without the micro adjustment blues. I'll still get one, in a year or two when its price has dropped to about half its introduction MSRP. In the meantime, I think I can live with my D5500.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think the biggest problem for me is that the kit lenses are super slow, F6.3 on the long end.

No bueno for me.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

I was very excited, up until I found out ISO is limited to 6400 max for videos. My D5500 can be set to 25600 for videos. The game changer in the M5 is Dual Pixel. AF as fast as a DSLR, without the micro adjustment blues. I'll still get one, in a year or two when its price has dropped to about half its introduction MSRP. In the meantime, I think I can live with my D5500.

Perhaps I am not understanding you. The 80D has dualpixel autofocus for video and actually has a fully articulating screen. Why would anyone prefer the M5 over an 80D?

edited September 2016

Perhaps I am not understanding you. The 80D has dualpixel autofocus for video and actually has a fully articulating screen. Why would anyone prefer the M5 over an 80D?

Size for portability, weight for less tiring hand-held video shooting, overall cost and no need for AF microadjustment. All these points apply not only on the M5 but also on the EF-M lenses.

Post edited by CaMeRaQuEsT on

Size for portability, weight for less tiring hand-held video shooting, overall cost and no need for AF microadjustment. All these points apply not only on the M5 but also on the EF-M lenses.

I'm glad it makes sense for you. I would have put in a pre-order if they had only included a silent shutter as I could have used it for events where the D500's bang-bang or even the 810's click-click are frowned upon.
    I've owned both the M and M2 and they've both got really loud and hard hitting shutters, something I couldn't quite understand, also they seemed to start electronic as despite it all the shutter action never produced shaky pictures. By comparison, my current X-E1 is very quiet.
    Well, from what I hear on this hands-on video:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/6973315398/photokina-2016-canon-eos-m5-quick-look-video

the M5's shutter sounds exactly like the M's and M2's. Looks cute, tough, like the smaller 35mm SLRs of yore.